Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Colbert & Co. = Children of the Devil

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man...besides Rosie O' Donnell, Hell is gonna be freakin' sweet!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2892644]He is the only person I have ever put on the ignore list and yet his stuff still shows up. I am scared of him!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

That's like some crazy vampire chit

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;2892528]Thanks! :D

And actually I'm not even an atheist.. I'm disillusioned with the catholic church and haven't quite resolved the whole my way or the highway nature of many religions..[/QUOTE]

First point....the question about your willy...

Many point to one section in the bible about masturbation, in fact to my knowledge as the only reference. In Genesis 38, there is talk of how Onan 'spilled his seed' on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother (had to marry his dead brother's wife in order to produce offspring for his brother). It is said this was wicked (spilling his seed), so the Lord put him to death. Many think this proves masturbation is wicked and sinful.

This is where people who say they read the bible, should not make themselves examples of tacit knowledge. Actually, what is sinful is the action of not fulfilling a family duty; laying with the brothers wife. And who is to say he masturbated in the first place? Hello, pull-out method!

Anyway, as for Catholic confusion....I have taken two great courses this term at the Catholic seminary here in town. I must say, I did not have a great opinion of the Catholic church prior to coming in, but I tell ya, the more I listen, the more I respect their views. Do I agree with everything...NOPE, but I have an ear to listen now, so to speak!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2892485]No sorry, it doesn't work like that. You are trying to fool the one who knows every thought you think and the number of hairs on your head. Nice try though.[/QUOTE]

Not true sacky, not true. Genuine repentance can occur on the deathbed, and is acceptable in God's eyes.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2892760]First point....the question about your willy...

Many point to one section in the bible about masturbation, in fact to my knowledge as the only reference. In Genesis 38, there is talk of how Onan 'spilled his seed' on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother (had to marry his dead brother's wife in order to produce offspring for his brother). It is said this was wicked (spilling his seed), so the Lord put him to death. Many think this proves masturbation is wicked and sinful.

This is where people who say they read the bible, should not make themselves examples of tacit knowledge. Actually, what is sinful is the action of not fulfilling a family duty; laying with the brothers wife. And who is to say he masturbated in the first place? Hello, pull-out method!

Anyway, as for Catholic confusion....I have taken two great courses this term at the Catholic seminary here in town. I must say, I did not have a great opinion of the Catholic church prior to coming in, but I tell ya, the more I listen, the more I respect their views. Do I agree with everything...NOPE, but I have an ear to listen now, so to speak![/QUOTE]

Wow... Good info man.. I read the bible like 10 years ago and don't even remember that passage..

Just in case you didn't realize I was only messing around with Sackdance there ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2892768]Not true sacky, not true. Genuine repentance can occur on the deathbed, and is acceptable in God's eyes.[/QUOTE]

So answer me this, if a child is born and raised Jewish/Muslim/Buddhist and never has enough exposure to recognize Jesus for what Christians claim he is, what happens to his soul? It's clear what Sackdance thinks (and most of the people who surround me), but you are certainly a different breed of Christian then I'm typically exposed to..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2892768]Not true sacky, not true. Genuine repentance can occur on the deathbed, and is acceptable in God's eyes.[/QUOTE]

You will be condemned to hell in....5....4.....3.....2.....1.....

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like

You have a penetrating view of this religion, and you just put sd99 to shame. I like that.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ReleasetheAnimal;2892667]Man...besides Rosie O' Donnell, Hell is gonna be freakin' sweet![/QUOTE]

Yeah, but she's in your section, so you have that working against you.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;2892778]So answer me this, if a child is born and raised Jewish/Muslim/Buddhist and never has enough exposure to recognize Jesus for what Christians claim he is, what happens to his soul? It's clear what Sackdance thinks (and most of the people who surround me), but you are certainly a different breed of Christian then I'm typically exposed to..[/QUOTE]

How much time do you have CTM? :D

I will try to give you a Coles notes version...

I will answer that question with a question....what of those who came before Christ? They did not hear Christ, or recognize his divinity, so are they damned to hell? I say not.

I have been asked this many times, and my answer is the same. It is not I, nor anyone else's place to say who is or isn't damned to the notion of hell (if hell exists in the traditional Christian sense...that is another story though).
    God knows people's hearts, I do not.
    Lets put it this way; What of a person, whether they atheist, Buddhist, Jewish, etc. lives a godly life; they listen to and acknowledge that a moral code exists outside of the realm of the subjective, they do their best to adhere to it, and struggle with the implications. They give money to the poor, are responsible with their money. They embrace and exude the example of the golden rule. However, they have honestly struggled with the nature of Christianity. They have thought about it, pondered it, and while not completely rejected it, did not take it as far as making say, a baptismal claim. Should God punish someone, who through the gift of freewill given by God, made honest attempts at understanding God and his possible existence, and yet lived a life that most Christians could only hope to exemplify? Yet, because someone 'says' they are a Christian, yet does everything possible to exemplify a life not affected by Christian doctrine, or Christ's life, get to be saved?
    This is what I mean by God knows the heart of the individual. And for this reason alone, I do not agree with the methods utilized by Christian fundamentalists in this matter. I think it is unethical, and if any of them have dared to actually read the bible, there seems to be a WHOLE bunch of stuff in it about ethics...

Did that help, or hinder? Sometimes it is hard to tell when I type these things.

By the way, the hand print in the guitar pick is Jerry Garcia, no?
    Last edited by CanadaSteve; 12-04-2008 at 12:43 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;2892889]You have a penetrating view of this religion, and you just put sd99 to shame. I like that.[/QUOTE]

Ummm.....I just explained CTM's question on masturbation, and you just used the word pentrating in expressing your opinion on my view of Christianity...

Are their sexual overtones here, or am I just reading into things?:cool:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you are right but I think he was asking more so of a "SOS" prayer with no true genuine repentance. I believe most deathbed repentant people were not truly genuine just done more out of fear.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Used to like Colbert but now, he's getting too extreme!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2892898]

Did that help, or hinder? Sometimes it is hard to tell when I type these things.
    [/quote]
    Helped! Cause that's the way I view it. To many Catholics that I'm around don't view it like that though..

[quote]
    By the way, the hand print in the guitar pick is Jerry Garcia, no?[/QUOTE]
    Yup.

RIP

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;2892912]Helped! Cause that's the way I view it. To many Catholics that I'm around don't view it like that though..

Yup.

RIP[/QUOTE]

Ahh...Jerry. Only saw them twice, but what good times.

Well, you have to understand that most Catholics haven't taken any time to actually study (hence why I made the comment on tacit knowledge)

Now, what we need to consider here: What is hell? This was a question, the fundamentalists like to think, was obvious from the birth of Christianity....not so.

This is not my idea, but I found this, which is a good representation of what we nee to recognize as the potentiality of what hell actually is.

NOTE TO DAMNATIONERS: While you can quote many scripture passages about the 'fire of hell,' keep in mind when we look at the example of purgatory, that these images of 'hell' reak of purification, like one does with metals....

Hell (infernus) in theological usage is a place of punishment after death. Theologians distinguish four meanings of the term hell:

STRICT SENSE: or the place of punishment for the damned, be they demons or men;
    THE LIMBO OF INFANTS: (limbus parvulorum), where those who die in original sin alone, and without personal mortal sin, are confined and undergo some kind of punishment;
    THE LIMBO OF FATHERS: (limbus patrum), in which the souls of the just who died before Christ awaited their admission to heaven; for in the meantime heaven was closed against them in punishment for the sin of Adam;
    PURGATORY: where the just, who die in venial sin or who still owe a debt of temporal punishment for sin, are cleansed by suffering before their admission to heaven.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2892902]Yes you are right but I think he was asking more so of a "SOS" prayer with no true genuine repentance. I believe most deathbed repentant people were not truly genuine just done more out of fear.[/QUOTE]

AAAHHH yes, but a deathbed confession motivated by 'fear and trembling' of the one Most High, can be in and of itself a recognition of the reality of God. In so doing, when one makes such a realization, an act of rependance may in fact be genuine.

Nobody can ever truly know except two people, and those people are not you or I;)
    Last edited by CanadaSteve; 12-04-2008 at 12:43 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2892550][IMG]http://kspark.kaist.ac.kr/Jesus/Gay%20Jesus_files/jesus%20kiss.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

What the f*k kind of picture is that to post? Dude you are a f*kng loser- get a life

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a699/a699_thumb.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tucker134;2892985]What the f*k kind of picture is that to post? Dude you are a f*kng loser- get a life[/QUOTE]

I'm confused as to how him posting the picture makes him have no life....

A little homophobic, are we?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about the thief on the cross next to Yeshua he was saved just before he died. Yeshua makes the rules not us!