Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Obama Pledges Massive Public Works Program

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vilma;2900341]Yes. The compensation for the job should have nothing to do with the location of the workplace.

I live in NYC and it's definitely more expensive to live here, but my colleagues at the company's offices around the world are paid the same for the same work.[/QUOTE]

The last two corporations I work(ed) for base salary on title, experience and location.

Board Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;2900425]The last two corporations I work(ed) for base salary on title, experience and location.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

I should have mentioned that in addition to my base salary, I do earn commissions and my territory and payment plan is unique as is everyone else's, so perhaps location is indeed factored in.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2899700]Should somone who lives in NYC be paid the same for the same job as someone who live in Birmingham?[/QUOTE]

Basically, supply and demand will determine the wages...if there's an abundance of quality workers, the wages will be less than if there's a shortage!

Why do CEO's and pro athlete's make buckets of money? B/c you can't find those folks just hanging around at the day-labor HQ!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2896746]We could not afford to fight a war in Iraq either, yet we did and are still there at an enormous cost to the American taxpayer and the families of the Marines and soldiers there.

I sure don't see you objecting to that spending. If we can find the money to fight an unnecessary war in Iraq, I clearly see how we can make an investment in the future of America through the projects that Pres Elect Obama has laid out.

We will be paying for the stupid war in Iraq for decades[/QUOTE]

We can afford Iraq or we can't? Which is it?

I think it's funny that people think that government taking away resources from private hands (e.g. money, cement, workers, electricity, etc.) will actually improve the economy. Then we have increased interest rates when government takes on debt and eventually increased inflation when government monetizes that debt...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2901034]We can afford Iraq or we can't? Which is it?

I think it's funny that people think that government taking away resources from private hands (e.g. money, cement, workers, electricity, etc.) will actually improve the economy. Then we have increased interest rates when government takes on debt and eventually increased inflation when government monetizes that debt...[/QUOTE]

The Iraq war is funded by debt......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2901051]The Iraq war is funded by debt......[/QUOTE]

You're telling this to me? I already addressed that in the post you quoted

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, let's talk about the majority of workers in this country.

You live in a dream world if you think location is not a part of the pay.

I am not talking about a kid studying for the series 7, although it is (was) easier to find a firm in NYC to sponsor you.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but how old are you?

[QUOTE=asuusa;2901019]Basically, supply and demand will determine the wages...if there's an abundance of quality workers, the wages will be less than if there's a shortage!

Why do CEO's and pro athlete's make buckets of money? B/c you can't find those folks just hanging around at the day-labor HQ![/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2901169]Ok, let's talk about the majority of workers in this country.

I am not talking about a kid studying for the series 7, although it is (was) easier to find a firm in NYC to sponsor you.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but how old are you?[/QUOTE]

It's still supply and demand. If lots of people want few jobs, it doesn't matter than NYC has a high cost of living. Now, NYC might supply more overall workers, but it isn't necessarily location for a given industry.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about jobs that are actual jobs, you know full time jobs that could support a family.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2901227]It's still supply and demand. If lots of people want few jobs, it doesn't matter than NYC has a high cost of living. Now, NYC might supply more overall workers, but it isn't necessarily location for a given industry.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2901232]How about jobs that are actual jobs, you know full time jobs that could support a family.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the inflation we've faced over the past few decades has been unnecessary. We have to ask ourselves why we our purchasing power has decreased so much.

That being said, if I could not afford to live in NYC, I would begrudgingly move.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2901169]

Not trying to be a jerk here, but how old are you?[/QUOTE]

I don't think I said that, but if you needed a good secretary and you advertise for one giving the starting salary, and no one shows up to apply, you have a decision to make; either raise the salary or go w/o!

BTW, I'm on Medicare

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The age question was meant for BB. How many secretaries do you know are the primary earner for the household? Not many and the majority who may be are getting money from the ex-husband. Not all cases but the majority.

[QUOTE=asuusa;2901321]I don't think I said that, but if you needed a good secretary and you advertise for one giving the starting salary, and no one shows up to apply, you have a decision to make; either raise the salary or go w/o!

BTW, I'm on Medicare[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2901227]It's still supply and demand. If lots of people want few jobs, it doesn't matter than NYC has a high cost of living. Now, NYC might supply more overall workers, but it isn't necessarily location for a given industry.[/QUOTE]

In medicine at least, salaries in the big cities in the northeast are among the lowest, because more people want to practice here. Go out to Kansas, Nebraska, and the Deep South, salaries are much higher, with lower cost of living. I still get recruiting postcards in the mail every week trying to fill these jobs.
    Supply and demand is a big part of this, I agree.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2901550]The age question was meant for BB. How many secretaries do you know are the primary earner for the household? Not many and the majority who may be are getting money from the ex-husband. Not all cases but the majority.[/QUOTE]

Why should a secretary's salary support an entire household? It a job that lots of people could do. Again, supply/demand.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2902043]It a job that lots of people could do...[/QUOTE]

Really?? How good do [I]you[/I] look in a low-cut shirt, BB?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Single mothers maybe? But a lot can't do the job either.

How old are you?

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2902043]Why should a secretary's salary support an entire household? It a job that lots of people could do. Again, supply/demand.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2902154]Single mothers maybe? But a lot can't do the job either.

How old are you?[/QUOTE]

Jobs donít pay you based on your need, they pay you based on your value.

A lot of people canít be secretaries if they wanted to beÖ? LOL ok.

You tell me how my age is relevant and Iíll give it to you. My points are not age-specific.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fine how many jobs have you had in your life?

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2902253]Jobs donít pay you based on your need, they pay you based on your value.

A lot of people canít be secretaries if they wanted to beÖ? LOL ok.

You tell me how my age is relevant and Iíll give it to you. My points are not age-specific.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2902318]Fine how many jobs have you had in your life?[/QUOTE]

How is that relevant?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Experience in applying for and understanding the workplace. Real life experience.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2902330]How is that relevant?[/QUOTE]