Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Obama Pledges Massive Public Works Program

[QUOTE=cr726;2902344]Experience in....understanding the workplace. Real life experience.[/QUOTE]

I do not believe for a milisecond that that can be quantified simply via "age" or "number of jobs".

What if he's a loser, and has had 500,000 jobs by age 30? Is he the most experienced and knowledgeable guy on Earth?

What if he went to work for GM and worked there 55 years, slowly moving up and up till today, when he is at retirement age? Is he a fool who knows nothing worth hearing?

Sorry, while age and job history is a factor, it's not the be all end all.

[QUOTE=cr726;2902344]Experience in applying for and understanding the workplace. Real life experience.[/QUOTE]

What does that have to do with secretaries not being valuable? I used to bang the secretary, does that count?

The original question was should someone be paid the same for a job in NYC as Birmingham?

[QUOTE=Warfish;2902353]I do not believe for a milisecond that that can be quantified simply via "age" or "number of jobs".

What if he's a loser, and has had 500,000 jobs by age 30? Is he the most experienced and knowledgeable guy on Earth?

What if he went to work for GM and worked there 55 years, slowly moving up and up till today, when he is at retirement age? Is he a fool who knows nothing worth hearing?

Sorry, while age and job history is a factor, it's not the be all end all.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;2902376]The original question was should someone be paid the same for a job in NYC as Birmingham?[/QUOTE]

There's more jobs in NYC, that's why it pays more. However, you still lose purchasing power in NYC because even more people want to live there.

Now, if enough people wanted to leave their jobs to become secretaries in NYC, salaries would go down, regardless of location.

Cost of living is a major factor when it comes to making a move. Ask people who were moved from NYC to North Carolina or Atlanta GA.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2902380]There's more jobs in NYC, that's why it pays more. However, you still lose purchasing power in NYC because even more people want to live there.

Now, if enough people wanted to leave their jobs to become secretaries in NYC, salaries would go down, regardless of location.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    People working in NYC are paid more than in rural areas...that's why people commute 2 hours from the suburbs to work there. If they could make more working in Kingston or Poughkeepsie, they would save the gas and just work there.

Please don't make BB deal with real life. It makes his brain hurt.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2902410]People working in NYC are paid more than in rural areas...that's why people commute 2 hours from the suburbs to work there. If they could make more working in Kingston or Poughkeepsie, they would save the gas and just work there.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2902410]People working in NYC are paid more than in rural areas...that's why people commute 2 hours from the suburbs to work there. If they could make more working in Kingston or Poughkeepsie, they would save the gas and just work there.[/QUOTE]Yes, and supply and demand still determines their value, not location. If we tripled the amount of nurses who wanted to work in NYC, their salary would go down.

[QUOTE=cr726;2902390]Cost of living is a major factor when it comes to making a move. Ask people who were moved from NYC to North Carolina or Atlanta GA.[/QUOTE]

I NEVER said anything the contrary. I said supply/demand determines value and salaries.

[QUOTE=cr726;2902547]Please don't make BB deal with real life. It makes his brain hurt.[/QUOTE]

How do I not know how to deal with real life? This should be good.

Not if they supply wasn't there. How many more ifs can you give us?

If my aunt had nuts she be my uncle.

Circles BB you talk in circles.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2902558]Yes, and supply and demand still determines their value, not location. If we tripled the amount of nurses who wanted to work in NYC, their salary would go down.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;2902562]Not if they supply wasn't there. How many more ifs can you give us?

If my aunt had nuts she be my uncle.

Circles BB you talk in circles.[/QUOTE]I'm not talking in circles. I'm showing you how supply/demand drives salaries, not location.

My scenario is absolutely true. Is it not?

Absolute. No. If someone is making 75k in Atlanta and their company wants them to do the same job in NYC or San Fran, they have to pay him/her more because of the cost of living.

Supply/demand sounds nice, but the majority of people will tell you it is not what you know it is who you know and sadly the majority of jobs are gotten that way. There are exceptions of course.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2902566]I'm not talking in circles. I'm showing you how supply/demand drives salaries, not location.

My scenario is absolutely true. Is it not?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;2902572]Absolute. No. If someone is making 75k in Atlanta and their company wants them to do the same job in NYC or San Fran, they have to pay him/her more because of the cost of living.

Supply/demand sounds nice, but the majority of people will tell you it is not what you know it is who you know and sadly the majority of jobs are gotten that way. There are exceptions of course.[/QUOTE]
    Yes, there are exceptions. And if a company continues to make poor decisions, they will suffer. As long as we don't bail them out, it's fine. Let the good companies grow and the poor companies shrink.

If a company decides the person is worth that amount in a new city, they should pay them. Considering re-location costs, if the person isn't worth it, they should find someone in the new city. If a person is being re-located, it means they are valuable. You don't re-locate secretaries.

Supply/demand still drives salaries. If you have an average worker making 75K in ATL, and you can pay an average worker 80K in NYC, you will do that - you won't compensate him for the higher cost of living if you don't have to. If you do, you made poor decision.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2902558]Yes, and supply and demand still determines their value, not location. If we tripled the amount of nurses who wanted to work in NYC, their salary would go down.[/QUOTE]

Well, nurses aren't migratory or anything...I guess they represent a certain percentage of the population. So it's not like a insane amount of nurses are suddenly going tom descend on NYC. But, if NYC was to experience a sudden increase in nurse population, then it would stand to reason that the population in general would increase proportionally. And if the population were to increase suddenly, then the workload at the local hospital would also increase to the same degree. If that were to happen, then the demand for nurses in the NYC area would remain static, rendering your point moot.

My argument would be rendered invalid if NYC were to suddenly add a bunch of nursing schools. Then the possibility might arise that NYC would attract single, young nurses(which would be pretty hot) at a rate exceeding the standard rise in population growth, who would in turn, possibly seek entry level employment in areas close to where they attend school.

BTW, I'm quite insane.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2902602]Well, nurses aren't migratory or anything...I guess they represent a certain percentage of the population. So it's not like a insane amount of nurses are suddenly going tom descend on NYC. But, if NYC was to experience a sudden increase in nurse population, then it would stand to reason that the population in general would increase proportionally. And if the population were to increase suddenly, then the workload at the local hospital would also increase to the same degree. If that were to happen, then the demand for nurses in the NYC area would remain static, rendering your point moot.

My argument would be rendered invalid if NYC were to suddenly add a bunch of nursing schools. Then the possibility might arise that NYC would attract single, young nurses(which would be pretty hot) at a rate exceeding the standard rise in population growth, who would in turn, possibly seek entry level employment in areas close to where they attend school.

BTW, I'm quite insane.[/QUOTE]

So, supply/demand does drive salaries...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2902609]So, supply/demand does drive salaries...[/QUOTE]

Ummm, yes. That's part of the reason why people in NYC make more money than anywhere else in the country. Cost of living also has an effect on salary level. To deny that would be to deny the obvious, wouldn't it?

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2902653]Ummm, yes. That's part of the reason why people in NYC make more money than anywhere else in the country. Cost of living also has an effect on salary level. To deny that would be to deny the obvious, wouldn't it?[/QUOTE]

Cost of living is a by product of the existing supply and demand. It's not a driver of salaries. If lots of people left NYC (demand goes down), cost of living would go down. And vice versa.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2902660]Cost of living is a by product of the existing supply and demand. It's not a driver of salaries. If lots of people left NYC (demand goes down), cost of living would go down. And vice versa.[/QUOTE]

Ok...checkmate. :P