Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Yankee offseason

My Yankee offseason

I'm bored, so here we go.

1. Sign CC to 6/$150M.

2. Trade Nady and sign Adam Dunn. Move Dunn to 1B and Swisher to RF. Given the market, Dunn will probably only get a 3/$36M type of contract, and that's something we have to pounce on. Nady just isn't a good player. He's average at best, and that's not what we can have as our RFer if we're looking to win a championship. This move will also only cost about $5M for the 2009 season to make.

3. Sign Burnett. He's got unbelievable stuff. Make it happen.

4. Re-sign Pettitte to 1/$10-$12M. I don't know where he (or really his agent) gets off for saying he doesn't want to take a paycut after the offseason last year and his season last year. That's especially true considering he wouldn't be able to make that much on the open market (although he could probably get an extra year somewhere). Either way, I think this will get done for $10M.

5. Sign Rocco Baldelli to be our 4th OFer. This move especially should happen if we are actually going to have Gardner as our everyday CFer. Baldelli can't play everyday, but he can play here and there, and that would be a help.

6. Take a look at Kerry Wood. He'll probably get more than we want to give, but given the market for relievers right now, he's worth a gander to be our setup man. I doubt it happens, but he would be quite a pickup for the 8th inning.

7. Look into Mike Cameron and what it would take to trade for him. It may be too much, but it has to be looked into. Along with DeJesus, although it appears he will not be traded. CF is somewhere where we should be looking to upgrade.

2009 Yankee team:
    CC
    Burnett (Yes, I think he's better than Wang)
    Wang
    Pettitte
    Joba

Damon (LF)
    Jeter (SS)
    Dunn (1B)
    A-Rod (3B)
    Matsui (DH)
    Posada (C)
    Swisher (RF)
    Cano (2B)
    Gardner/Melky/Baldelli/Cameron (CF)

Mo
    Marte
    Bruney
    3 of: Edwar, Veras, Melancon, Robertson, Sanchez, Wright
    Long reliever - Aceves

My rough calculations would project that payroll to be about $180M (if we didn't trade for Cameron or sign Wood). That's pretty good.

Practice Squad
    this is great. i hope they can make alot of those happen

All League
    As each day passes (and as the Braves get more aggressive), I'm rooting more for a cheaper Ben Sheets signing over Burnett.

All Pro
    Wood would be a great move for the Yankees. Easier to take a risk on him when he is not your primary 9th inning guy and he has the best pure stuff of any reliever available (excluding maybe Putz).

All League
    if there is one thing I can wait forever for, it is the baseball season to start.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    if there is one thing I can wait forever for, it is the baseball season to start.
    Sweet post, guy.

All League
    Adam Dunn would be a horrible move. imagine the yanks with a .240 guy in the three hole who strikes out once every three at bats. the Red Sox would love that move. No freakin way.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Adam Dunn would be a horrible move. imagine the yanks with a .240 guy in the three hole who strikes out once every three at bats. the Red Sox would love that move. No freakin way.
    The Red Sox would like the Yankees to add a player that gets on base 38% of the time and slugs over .500 because he strikes out a lot and hits .240? Do you have any idea how the Red Sox think? If he hit .280 and had the same OBP and SLG would you be okay with Dunn? Batting average doesn't matter. Striking out hardly matter either, as an out is an out. Plus, if one strikes out more than the average person, he won't ground into as many DP's.

I'd rather Teixeira of course, but if we do sign CC, it would be quite doubtful that we would also sign Tex, so we have to find another way to improve an offense that went down 200 runs from 2007 to 2008 and is losing its #3 and #5 hitters. Adam Dunn at a contract like 3/$36M is a no brainer.

Banned
    I like all the suggestions except Adam Dunn. I like Nady over Dunn plus Dunn strikes out way too much.

Veteran
    As a Yankee fan, I want NO PART of Adam Dunn..

All League
    I dont care what his on Base % is in a weak N.L. lineup. Bottom line..... in a big spot, pitchers will not fear a .240 hitter. because you all you have to do is pitch to him.

the 3 hole is meant for your best pure hitter. you dont know baseball if you dont know that. A .240 hitter in that spot is a disaster

Hall Of Fame
    I dont care what his on Base % is in a weak N.L. lineup. Bottom line..... in a big spot, pitchers will not fear a .240 hitter. because you all you have to do is pitch to him.

the 3 hole is meant for your best pure hitter. you dont know baseball if you dont know that. A .240 hitter in that spot is a disaster
    I fear men on base with A-Rod up.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    I like all the suggestions except Adam Dunn. I like Nady over Dunn plus Dunn strikes out way too much.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you like Nady more than Dunn? Nady is not on the same planet as Dunn is offensively.

By the way, I would reform my plan to keeping Nady and having him platoon with Swisher in RF.

I won't argue with the 3 hole part of the equation with you because I really don't care if Dunn was batting 3rd or 6th. In the end, the way you configure your lineup really doesn't matter too much. Out of curiosity though, with our lineup right now, who do you want in the 3 hole?

As to your other arguments, why don't you care about his OBP? Do you think he won't take walks in the AL? Do you think his OBP will have a big decrease in the AL? Do you not care about OBP in general?

You are way too hung up about batting average. Think about it rationally and think about how offense is created. Think about doubles when a guy is on 1B and there are 2 outs. Think about HR's. It's not just BA/RISP.

Last question for you. Would you rather have a .350/.380/440 hitter or a .250/.400/.500 hitter? And I'll go to the extreme in the next question. Would you rather have a .380/.380/.380 hitter or a .220/.420/.450 hitter?

All Pro

If we could get Dunn for the price tag mentioned by JWF, you jump on that in a heartbeat. This lineup could use a high OBP/HR guy and he definitely fits that bill. Not too mention he would most likely benefit from the short RF porch. I would much rather go into this season with Adam Dunn at 1B, rather than Nick Swisher.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why do you like Nady more than Dunn? Nady is not on the same planet as Dunn is offensively.

By the way, I would reform my plan to keeping Nady and having him platoon with Swisher in RF.
    Not on the same planet offensively? Look at last season's stats:

Dunn .236 BA 40 hr 100 rbi 164 strikeouts
    Nady .302 BA 25 hr 97 rbi 103 strikeouts

Nady has a far better batting average and strikes out far less than Dunn. Dunn has significantly more hr's and only 3 more rbi.

To me they're roughly the same and it's more a matter of taste. If you want another player in the Jason Giambi mold then Dunn is your man. If you want someone who is a more well-rounded hitter than Nady is your man.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryBadway View Post
    As each day passes (and as the Braves get more aggressive), I'm rooting more for a cheaper Ben Sheets signing over Burnett.
    + Eleventy Billion

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Not on the same planet offensively? Look at last season's stats:

Dunn .236 BA 40 hr 100 rbi 164 strikeouts
    Nady .302 BA 25 hr 97 rbi 103 strikeouts

Nady has a far better batting average and strikes out far less than Dunn. Dunn has significantly more hr's and only 3 more rbi.

To me they're roughly the same and it's more a matter of taste. If you want another player in the Jason Giambi mold then Dunn is your man. If you want someone who is a more well-rounded hitter than Nady is your man.
    You didn't give us one offensive matter that means anything.

Dunn last year had a .386 OBP and a .513 SLG. He consistently has those numbers, although usually his SLG is higher. His career OBP and SLG are .381/.513.

Nady had a .357 OBP and a .510 SLG. The reason for those high numbers is because his BABIP was extremely high for a couple of months, which inflated his numbers. Everyone knew that was the case, as did the Yankees when they traded for him. With the Yankees he had a .320 OBP and a .474 SLG. His career OBP and SLG are .335/.458. That's what you can expect from Nady, and that's not nearly good enough. Of course, if you want to platoon him and have him just face leftys, then you've got something.

An out is an out, be it if you strike out or if you pop up.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    You didn't give us one offensive matter that means anything.

Dunn last year had a .386 OBP and a .513 SLG. He consistently has those numbers, although usually his SLG is higher. His career OBP and SLG are .381/.513.

Nady had a .357 OBP and a .510 SLG. The reason for those high numbers is because his BABIP was extremely high for a couple of months, which inflated his numbers. Everyone knew that was the case, as did the Yankees when they traded for him. With the Yankees he had a .320 OBP and a .474 SLG. His career OBP and SLG are .335/.458. That's what you can expect from Nady, and that's not nearly good enough. Of course, if you want to platoon him and have him just face leftys, then you've got something.

An out is an out, be it if you strike out or if you pop up
    Runner on third, less than 2 out, an out is not an out. There is something to be said for making contact, moving runners along.

Alright, it looks like we might need a Plan B if CC signs elsewhere, which is looking more and more likely. I think the Dunn haters will like this one more - at least in terms of Dunn not being part of the plan.

1. Sign Burnett. Take the risk. 5/$80M.

2. Sign Teixiera. If we can't get the best pitcher out there, then we should get the best player out there. Teixiera, from a defensive perspective alone would save us at least 30 runs from what we got last year defensively at 1B. Or, just by having him our team ERA would go down .20. Other than that, the guy is a stud in every aspect and would be the perfect 3 hitter in front of A-Rod (or 4 hitter behind A-Rod).

3. Either move Swisher to RF and platoon him with Nady, or trade one or the other. Or trade Damon.

4-7 stay the same. Also add Rick Ankiel to the list of CFers to take a look at.

8. Look into a Ben Sheets signing. Then again, I bet he has TJ surgery soon, so who knows. I can't really get behind signing a guy who has back issues and a "broken arm."