Thread: Why can't Leon Washington go deep?

Why can't Leon Washington go deep?

If QBs can lineup as wideouts like they have been all year, why can't Leon Washington line up out there and go deep? Brett's bombs today proves that he still has the arm. We were 1 deep ball away from turning that game around today but our wideouts can't keep up with the ball, let alone burn a DB.

I say put Leon on a go and let him run under it. Atleast put a faster reciever out there exclusively for deep shots. Gangly, fast wideouts are a dime a dozen these days. Shouldn't there be one on our team some dang where?

Leon is a running back, a slot receiver, and a Pro-Bowl kick returner. How many roles is this guy going to have to fill until we realize that our WRs have the potential but aren't executing?

[QUOTE=BloodyChamp;2899294]If QBs can lineup as wideouts like they have been all year, why can't Leon Washington line up out there and go deep? Brett's bombs today proves that he still has the arm. We were 1 deep ball away from turning that game around today but our wideouts can't keep up with the ball, let alone burn a DB.

I say put Leon on a go and let him run under it. Atleast put a faster reciever out there exclusively for deep shots. Gangly, fast wideouts are a dime a dozen these days. Shouldn't there be one on our team some dang where?[/QUOTE]

[U][COLOR="Red"][B][url]www.ganglyfastwideouts.com[/url][/B][/COLOR][/U]

[QUOTE=BloodyChamp;2899294]If QBs can lineup as wideouts like they have been all year, why can't Leon Washington line up out there and go deep? Brett's bombs today proves that he still has the arm. We were 1 deep ball away from turning that game around today but our wideouts can't keep up with the ball, let alone burn a DB.

I say put Leon on a go and let him run under it. Atleast put a faster reciever out there exclusively for deep shots. Gangly, fast wideouts are a dime a dozen these days. Shouldn't there be one on our team some dang where?[/QUOTE]

Because its awfully hard to throw deep when you dont have a qb who can make those throws. Has favre shown he can complete a deep pass for his life all season? And only ones to his own teammates count.

I almost though this post was a joke. Lets sign Kyle boller too! You are completely clueless. Brett's bombs today shows he cannot throw the deep bass with ANY ACCURACY WHATSOEVER. Its almost like you havent watched a game all season.

this thread makes me want to delete my account.

[QUOTE=Wall Street Superstar;2899676]this thread makes me want to delete my account.[/QUOTE]

+1

All League
    I really don't think it was Brett's fault--- our receivers just cannot get seperation / make a play on the deep ball...

They were supposed to run under those balls. The balls beat them by 10 feet.

All League
    [QUOTE=jetglass;2899603]I almost though this post was a joke. Lets sign Kyle boller too! You are completely clueless. Brett's bombs today shows he cannot throw the deep bass with ANY ACCURACY WHATSOEVER. Its almost like you havent watched a game all season.[/QUOTE]

lol what? He completely missed one, and the others were well covered :confused:

[QUOTE=Wall Street Superstar;2899676]this thread makes me want to delete my account.[/QUOTE]

It's never to early there Mr 15.

Jets defensive backs in sorry state-- Coaching ?

[QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;2899695]I really don't think it was Brett's fault--- our receivers just cannot get seperation / make a play on the deep ball...[/QUOTE]
    < nytimes.com >

The Jets are 31st in the N.F.L. in pass defense and in recent weeks they have been playing like it. The Patriots’ Matt Cassel threw for 400 yards and the Broncos’ Jay Cutler passed for 357 yards against the Jets last month. The Jets have allowed three quarterbacks — Tyler Thigpen, Trent Edwards and Kurt Warner — to throw for a season-high yardage total.

The Jets have already lured Ty Law out of semiretirement and brought back safety Hank Poteat, who had been cut in training camp. So what can they do?

“We can’t afford to panic,” said Jets linebacker David Bowens, who had the first interception of his career. “Panic means we’re just going to abandon ship and throw out all the hard work we put in. Now is the time to rally around each other.”

The major problem Sunday was not Law or the other starting cornerback, Darrelle Revis. It was whoever else was on the field for three- and four-receiver sets. That was often Drew Coleman, who had been inactive the last three weeks, and Dwight Lowery, whose performance had necessitated the midseason signing of Law.

[QUOTE=Seagirt;2900984]< nytimes.com >

The Jets are 31st in the N.F.L. in pass defense and in recent weeks they have been playing like it. The Patriots’ Matt Cassel threw for 400 yards and the Broncos’ Jay Cutler passed for 357 yards against the Jets last month. The Jets have allowed three quarterbacks — Tyler Thigpen, Trent Edwards and Kurt Warner — to throw for a season-high yardage total.

The Jets have already lured Ty Law out of semiretirement and brought back safety Hank Poteat, who had been cut in training camp. So what can they do?

“We can’t afford to panic,” said Jets linebacker David Bowens, who had the first interception of his career. “Panic means we’re just going to abandon ship and throw out all the hard work we put in. Now is the time to rally around each other.”

The major problem Sunday was not Law or the other starting cornerback, Darrelle Revis. It was whoever else was on the field for three- and four-receiver sets. That was often Drew Coleman, who had been inactive the last three weeks, and Dwight Lowery, whose performance had necessitated the midseason signing of Law.[/QUOTE]

This sounds like it has some truth to it but there were just plain old missed tackles too where we totally had the guys on those short passes, behind the marker.

[QUOTE=jetglass;2899603]I almost though this post was a joke. Lets sign Kyle boller too! You are completely clueless. Brett's bombs today shows he cannot throw the deep bass with ANY ACCURACY WHATSOEVER. Its almost like you havent watched a game all season.[/QUOTE]

In case any of you ever watched Brett Favre prior to him signing...

He's thrown in the range of 5-25 yards on most likely (not exact) 80-90% of his career attempts...

The deep balls are thrown off of PA and he can absolutely get the ball down the field...

When he has to over throw a defender instead of just throwing to a wide open receiver is when the problem comes in...

The blame is not on Favre for why the offense isn't working...

Watch the same game tape they will... If you don't have the time or the want, then don't bother commenting on who is useless, who isn't doing their job and who needs to step up...

On that tape you'll see Favre have time to make 3-4 different reads a play. When he actually has a receiver to throw it too, they don't seem to be so sure handed as they should be. Most of the time though, those receivers are well covered and Favre is looking for someone open, since he has the time to throw... By his 4th read, he may try to squeeze a ball, make a play happen that isn't there instead of throwing it away...

But what happened to the first 3 reads? Usually involves Coles, Cotchery or the check down... Back in the flat or TE on a slant or fade...

If the JETS ran more crossing patterns between a receiver and TE you're bound to get in Favre's crosshairs as opposed to designing a play to throw deep when you have no receiver that can outrun a 4.3-4.5 corner and you won't stick with the run long enough for the PA pass to be effective as it's been his crutch his entire career and why some seem to believe he's this deep ball throwing gunslinger...
    Last edited by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite; 12-08-2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Misprint!

hes way to short to be wr deep passes.... while leon may have the speed, you need height to fight for those long bombs.

plus, this offense doesnt need anymore gimicks, it just needs to figure out how to play straight up smash mouth football

If he burns the DB he doesn't have to be tall (I think tall wideouts are very overrated but that's another discussion).

[QUOTE=BloodyChamp;2901062]If he burns the DB he doesn't have to be tall (I think tall wideouts are very overrated but that's another discussion).[/QUOTE]

Yes, those Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, Braylon Edwards, Terrell Owens type receivers are a terrible addition to your team...

I'd rather have L Coles than C Johnson any day!

Jets Insider VIP

The farewell thread department is three doors down on the left.

You hit the nail on the head. The dude is LISTED as 5'8 he'd need to be guaranteed separation on his cover men or it would just be a waste of a player.

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;2901069]Yes, those Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, Braylon Edwards, Terrell Owens type receivers are a terrible addition to your team...

I'd rather have L Coles than C Johnson any day![/QUOTE]

Jerry Jones? Is that you? Be sure and get some of your semen on all of them or they will whine.