Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Fireplace Etiquette Help Needed

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    *confused*

If the flue is open but the glass doors are shut, how is there a draft?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2899495]

Today I put in an installed screen/[B][U]glass door[/U][/B] combo that allows no airspace, locks nice and tight, keeps all the cinders from jumping out, you get the idea. Looks like this:

[/QUOTE]

Putting glass in front of the fireplace is the equivalent of buying a plasma HDTV. :rolleyes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Though it pains me and goes against my comedy instincts, I just want to reiterate that there is to be no closing of the Flue whilst smoldering is occurring, right SAr?

SAr?

Sar?

Seriously.

SAR!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;2899534]To answer that properly, you need to measure the exact distance between your big toe and the embers. Report back.[/QUOTE]

Sar I thought that was funny.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

No

[QUOTE=SAR I;2899524]If the embers are still smoldering a bit and I'd prefer to close the flue so as to avoid a bit of a draft, is that okay?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

if you close the flu I tried that once you'll set off your carbon monoxide detector if you got one!!!
    keep the flu open with the doors shut get up in the middle of the night and close it if it bugs ya

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2899712]Putting glass in front of the fireplace is the equivalent of buying a plasma HDTV. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming there is a screen behind the glass?

I have a glass door but I keep it open when the fire's going. I have a screen
    behind the glass.

If I was to light a fire and close the glass door, I wouldn't even be able to see the fire. The glass would be too steamy and sooty.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno....with all these recent questions about electrical work and now fireplaces.....you wonder if SAr hasnt grown restless and is ready for a new family.

Maybe he figures a Forensic Computer analyst wont bother to Delve into Jets Insider postings whilst looking for evidence of suspicious queries.

:eek:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;2899724]Though it pains me and goes against my comedy instincts, I just want to reiterate that there is to be no closing of the Flue whilst smoldering is occurring, right SAr?

SAr?

Sar?

Seriously.

SAR![/QUOTE]

Sorry.....just woke up. What time is it?

EDIT: One of my kids can't remember his name, and my wife is running around the house claiming she's a stripper being attacked by that monkey from the Drake & Josh Christmas special. Is this normal with a glass fireplace screen?

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    send the wife & kids out to the relatives, invite some of your pats fan neighbors for a sleepover, and close the flu as soon as the flame disappears. then run to get some ice cream for your guests. no need to close the glass with these top-of-the-line models, that'll do the trick just fine.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=SAR I;2899495]For the past 12 years I've had a fireplace screen that was one of those non-installed, stand-up folding types. Just sort of stands up on its own, bends in two spots, simple. Looked like this:

Today I put in an installed screen/glass door combo that allows no airspace, locks nice and tight, keeps all the cinders from jumping out, you get the idea. Looks like this:

[IMG]http://www.fireplaceguys.com/Fireplace_Doors/portland_5700_bs__2_.jpg[/IMG]

Question: When the fire dies out, what do you do with a fully-installed glass door system?

With my old cheap folding screen, I'd get a pitcher of water and douse the hot embers to cool them off, wait an hour, and close the flu. Didn't want any sparks to fly out accidentally when I went to sleep.

Do I have to do the same thing with the new glass door install? Or does simply shutting the glass doors tight and leaving the flu open eliminate the stress of a problem after we're all asleep? Instead of putting some water on them, let them burn out naturally, up the open flu, shut it down in the morning? TIA SAR I[/quote]

Hey Sar'one, I have the same fireplace glass & screen front at my skihaus. Close the screen & glass doors, leave the flu open until the morning. If it's cold in the fireplace room when you get up in the a.m., open the glass & screen doors then light another fire to warm it up again.

Also if you have the type where there is also a vent usually on top of the doors with an open/close slide lever, close that as well.

Lather, rinse, repeat. ;)
    Last edited by Limolady; 12-08-2008 at 02:39 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=isired;2900511]send the wife & kids out to the relatives, invite some of your pats fan neighbors for a sleepover, and close the flu as soon as the flame disappears. then run to get some ice cream for your guests. no need to close the glass with these top-of-the-line models, that'll do the trick just fine.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. Makes a lot of sense.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=SAR I;2900769]Gotcha. Makes a lot of sense.

SAR I[/quote]

Especially the running out for ice cream part, makes perfect sense.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2899505]Really that simple?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

It depends; is it an "insert", or just a door install? I had the old type in my upstairs master bedroom, and we had a small fire. Bought a stand alone that has the glass door (very similar to the insert), and now I can get that fire hot; and when it's time to retire, just shut down the air-flow to about 10% of normal and go to sleep.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2899524]If the embers are still smoldering a bit and I'd prefer to close the flue so as to avoid a bit of a draft, is that okay?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

So the doors doen't provide a sealed environment? Look into an insert; they are sealed and the airflow involves what's inside the fireplace ONLY. No drafts coming into the house.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;2899534]To answer that properly, you need to measure the exact distance between your big toe and the embers. Report back.[/QUOTE]

lol

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;2900861]So the doors doen't provide a sealed environment? Look into an insert; they are sealed and the airflow involves what's inside the fireplace ONLY. No drafts coming into the house.[/QUOTE]

The apparatus bolts onto the front of the fireplace, but there are tiny air gaps where the cement between the bricks is shallow. It's far better than what I had prior, but its not air tight like a vagina or something suctiony.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=SAR I;2900891]The apparatus bolts onto the front of the fireplace, but there are tiny air gaps where the cement between the bricks is shallow. It's far better than what I had prior, but its not air tight like a vagina or something suctiony.

SAR I[/quote]looks like yer gonna need summa dis:

[IMG]http://www.edinburghbagpipes.co.uk/images/airtight.jpg[/IMG]

season yer bag prior to opening tha floo... to preserve yer skin...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=isired;2900943]looks like yer gonna need summa dis:

season yer bag prior to opening tha floo... to preserve yer skin...[/QUOTE]

LOL. WTF is that stuff?

SAR I

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2901048]LOL. WTF is that stuff?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Yes, wtf is that!?

"skin" + "bag" in same sentence makes WCO nervous...:O

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of wood, it's three frigging degrees out and I'm having a hard time getting the wood furnace to get the house to 70. It won't go past 68 no matter how much damn wood I put in.

Help me. Send money and government cheese.