Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12/7

12/7

While my wife and I were out to breakfast this AM, a HS student asked why the flag was at half staff he wondered if someone died. I told him yes about a few thousand in a place called Pearl Harbor!

Oh man, I forgot that it was December 7 today.

sad that nobody recognized Pearl Harbor yesterday..pathetic, actually

[QUOTE=MnJetFan;2899584]While my wife and I were out to breakfast this AM, a HS student asked why the flag was at half staff he wondered if someone died. I told him yes about a few thousand in a place called Pearl Harbor![/QUOTE]

Give him half a point for at least knowing that the flag at half staff meant something.

Sad...

Actually, My fiancee's involved in finals for law school, and yesterday for some reason (probably because she's stressed) she asked, "Do you know what today is?" I thought she was asking because of something she saw or a place was closed...

So I said Pearl Harbor day. As it turned out, she was just asking for the date and looked at me cockeyed for a minute. Eventually are they going to have a "holiday" (In the strictest sense of the word. Not a holiday of happiness by any means) for 9/11. Does that have to be made official.

Board Moderator
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;2900086]
    So I said Pearl Harbor day. [/QUOTE]

Not trying to take a shot at you in any way, but I wonder how many Americans actually know that it is officially known as "The Day of Infamy"

Like if you ask random people, what is the "The Day of Infamy" how many would know the a) reference and b) the actual date

[QUOTE=Vilma;2900106]Not trying to take a shot at you in any way, but I wonder how many Americans actually know that it is officially known as "The Day of Infamy"

Like if you ask random people, what is the "The Day of Infamy" how many would know the a) reference and b) the actual date[/QUOTE]

I did't know it was officially called "The Day of Infamy." I know it as "Pearl Harbor Day." If you were to ask me what the Day of Infamy is, I would guess Pearl Harbor Day, December 7, only because everyone remembers FDR's famous address in which he called it, "A day which will live in infamy."

Board Moderator
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2900110]I did't know it was officially called "The Day of Infamy." I know it as "Pearl Harbor Day." If you were to ask me what the Day of Infamy is, I would guess Pearl Harbor Day, December 7, only because everyone remembers FDR's famous address in which he called it, "A day which will live in infamy."[/QUOTE]

Right and over the years that term has been exclusively referred to as the day of infamy. Although a simple google search will reveal that some people attribute the term to 9/11 as well.

Hall Of Fame
    How many years before people look at 9/11 the same way that they do Pearl Harbor Day?

Board Moderator
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2900173]How many years before people look at 9/11 the same way that they do Pearl Harbor Day?[/QUOTE]

Well, I hope that won't be the case.

Pearl Harbor was an act of unprovoked military aggression by another [B]nation and its government[/B] against our own.

9/11 was an act of aggression by a group of individuals against us.

Both events were indeed a surprise that caused huge devastation and a loss of precious lives, but the two cannot be compared on that fact alone.

[QUOTE=Vilma;2900106]Not trying to take a shot at you in any way, but I wonder how many Americans actually know that it is officially known as "The Day of Infamy"

Like if you ask random people, what is the "The Day of Infamy" how many would know the a) reference and b) the actual date[/QUOTE]

I didn't know it was called "The Day of Infamy" that's interesting. I feel like I always see it on calendars and I was taught as "Pearl Harbor Day". I would know the reference and date though. If if someone asked me "When is The Day of Infamy?" That would be my guess.

It's like Veterans Day, I don't know when it changed (I looked it up and it was changed in the mid 1950s), but it was originally Armistice Day as the end of WWI.

[QUOTE=Vilma;2900193]Well, I hope that won't be the case.

Pearl Harbor was an act of unprovoked military aggression by another [B]nation and its government[/B] against our own.

9/11 was an act of aggression by a group of individuals against us.

Both events were indeed a surprise that caused huge devastation and a loss of precious lives, but the two cannot be compared on that fact alone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but Pearl Harbor was attack on a US Outpost, not an attack on the largest city in the continental United States. After all, Hawaii wasn't even a state at the time.

THey were both horrible events. But the images will always make 9/11 more poignent

Along time ago I met a woman who grew to be one of my best friends. She was way older than me and is now gone.
    She was Jewish. She told me how she lost two brothers in WWII. She told me about how they came to her father and mothers home and told them that their oldest son was killed at Pearl Harbor. She told me how her mother tried to be stoic. The second time they came to her house to tell her parents about the death of their second son, she said that her mother gave up and was never the same. Pearl Harbor Day will always remind me of my friend Gloria and the sacrifice her family made for this country.
    Last edited by chicadeel; 12-08-2008 at 04:07 PM.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2900173]How many years before people look at 9/11 the same way that they do Pearl Harbor Day?[/QUOTE]

Some are doing that already!

[QUOTE=MnJetFan;2901068]Some are doing that already![/QUOTE]

And why wouldn't they?

My grandparents very first anniversary was the morning of Pearl Harbor. Imagine waking up to that!

But on the plus side, Nanny and Poppa just celebrated #68. Can you imagine?

No surprise there.

Liberal teachers ignore December 7, 1941 and teach about August 6th and 9th of 1945....

[QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2903413]No surprise there.

Liberal teachers ignore December 7, 1941 and teach about August 6th and 9th of 1945....[/QUOTE]

Speaking of liberal teachers, where's intelligentjetsfan been? I haven't seen him post in a while.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2903413]No surprise there.

Liberal teachers ignore December 7, 1941 and teach about August 6th and 9th of 1945....[/QUOTE]

True...but I never remember my Conservative teacher saying much about it either. probably because he was to busy stuffing Reagan's trouser snake into his mouth...

[QUOTE=pauliec;2903447]Speaking of liberal teachers, where's intelligentjetsfan been? I haven't seen him post in a while.[/QUOTE]

He's off celebrating Eid-Ul-Adha....