Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to Kerry Rhodes?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

What happened to Kerry Rhodes?

Honestly what the hell happened to Kerry Rhodes. He is having a very dissapointing year. He is not playing the way I expected him to. Maybe its the defensive schemes that is putting him off track. His coverage skills are very concerning and why arent they using him on blitzes more often. Sending in Dwight Lowery on blitzes aint gonna cut it because he just flat out sucks right now with anything he does. Rhodes needs to step his game up. No wait the whole dam Secondary except for Revis have to get it together the next three games. This team is facing the firm JP Losman, Seneca Wallace and our old friend Chadwick. The Jets made the likes of Tyler Thigpen, Matt Cassel and Shaun Hill look like Top notch QB's. Im scared of what these chumps are gonna do to us in the next 3 weeks. But everytime I see Kerry Rhodes in a game he doesnt seem motivated. He always has his hands on his hips after a big pass play that he messed up on. The guy needs to make plays. He's a difference maker. Thoughts?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, lets Blitz the only other competent player in our secondary.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's clearly not in the same league as Reed or Polamalu. I'll tell ya that much.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a down year for him, but that'll happen when he's providing help for Law, Lowery, Coleman, Elam, and anyone else in the secondary not named Darrelle Revis. It's more to do with the schemes than his talent.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;2899792]He's clearly not in the same league as Reed or Polamalu. I'll tell ya that much.[/QUOTE]

Im not buying that. For two straight years he out preformed both. Polamalu was non-existent the past two years. This year? Yes, Reed and Polamalu are out playing him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Polumalu and Reed are with out a doubt having tremendous years. Rhodes the past two years played at a Pro Bowl Level. But this year hasnt impressed me at all. He was supposed to be the playmaker on this Defense and he hasnt done anything to make a difference. I do put it on the schemes that Sutton and Mangini put out there. Teams can do slants on us all day. Our pass rush sucks compared to the Ravens and Steelers. Those guys front sevens are animals. Thats why Reed and Polumalu are having the years they are having.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Heineken08;2899789]Honestly what the hell happened to Kerry Rhodes. He is having a very dissapointing year. He is not playing the way I expected him to. Maybe its the defensive schemes that is putting him off track. His coverage skills are very concerning and why arent they using him on blitzes more often. Sending in Dwight Lowery on blitzes aint gonna cut it because he just flat out sucks right now with anything he does. Rhodes needs to step his game up. No wait the whole dam Secondary except for Revis have to get it together the next three games. This team is facing the firm JP Losman, Seneca Wallace and our old friend Chadwick. The Jets made the likes of Tyler Thigpen, Matt Cassel and Shaun Hill look like Top notch QB's. Im scared of what these chumps are gonna do to us in the next 3 weeks. But everytime I see Kerry Rhodes in a game he doesnt seem motivated. He always has his hands on his hips after a big pass play that he messed up on. The guy needs to make plays. He's a difference maker. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

What happened is that he got a big contract and has no reasons left to paly at a high level anymore.

I am only really kidding though. You could have the best defender at every position on our defense and they would still be terrible. The coaching staff will put them in a position so they cant make plays.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    he became an arena league owner

and is trying to save the 2009 season

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quite honestly we have a lot of playmakers on Defense but the CS has not been putting them in a position to succeed all season! Play the players to their strengths, stop leaving them out to dry by having all of the weaknesses exposed!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Rhodes should be blitzing more. If we get burned cause of it, so it be. We cant stop anyone when Rhodes stays back anyway so just unleash the guy and hope to get a turnover or 2.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the guy is NEVER near the line...it sucks..not saying he has played great by any means...but he also is always 10 yds back..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;2899792]He's clearly not in the same league as Reed or Polamalu. I'll tell ya that much.[/QUOTE]

Or Bob Sanders, when he's healthy and playing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i guarantee you that if its kerry coming in off the corner instead of lowery...it's a sack on 2nd and 20 that becomes 3rd and 30

i guess it wouldn't have mattered though, because hill would have thrown a 33 yard dagger to isaac bruce on the next play

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wasnt there a thread on this already? What do you want the guy to do? He is only 1 man. He cant cover the entire field. He is not going to make anything happen when our coaches are putting him back practically 20 yards protecting a long pass. He has no freedom to do what he is best at. Any time he blitzs the play goes the complete other direction so it doesnt work. Thats not his fault. Palamalu and Reed have that freedom to roam all over the field and use their strengths.

Put those guys in our defense and I am almost positive there production would drop dramatically. I personally think he should be down in the box A LOT and trying to make plays there. He isnt gonna be doing anything if he is playing back all day long.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=jetsrule128;2900199]he became an arena league owner and is trying to save the 2009 season[/quote]

Yes that's it and will be touring with Jon BonJovi when the Philadelphia Soul plays the NY Dragons. I hear Lenny Kravitz and Ricky Williams want to sing a duet at halftime too. :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll ask you too. Switch Kerry and Troy, do the results change?

Agreed on Reed though, the man is a monster.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;2900217]Yes, Rhodes should be blitzing more. If we get burned cause of it, so it be. We cant stop anyone when Rhodes stays back anyway so just unleash the guy and hope to get a turnover or 2.[/QUOTE]

Very well said. Couldnt agree more.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bottom Line:

I'd rather blitz with Rhodes and take my chances with one of 4 results: a sack, a sack/fumble, a hurried incompletion, or a long completion

...rather than sucking the life out of the defense by allowing short pass after short pass. TAKE CHANCES. MAKE THINGS HAPPEN.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of this during the game. Rhodes can't be so good if our secondary is so bad. Guys are wide open. It always appears that Rhodes is always in the area after a big play. "after a big play"

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's hard to evaluate exactly how well a secondary is playing when there is ZERO pass rush.

I will admit that there are a few plays where a QB makes a throw and there are 3 Jets around the ball, and no one makes a play.

But even the best DB's aren't supposed to have to cover for 10 seconds.

We get NO rush when we don't blitz, and we don't get that much more when we do. (poor blitz packages).

Rhodes has been disappointing, but our pass defense's failures hardly fall just on the secondary.