Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Theory on Mangini.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetDevil74;2900407]I just sent a message to Eric Mangini through the Jets "Contact Us" section of the official website. Basically told him that he's losing support and that his scheme needs to change. I signed it "Jets fan base" I encourage other fans to do the same.[/QUOTE]

what website and where?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;2900123]Could it be that after going 8-3, Mangini started to gameplan for the playoffs? Hear me out. I feel that Mangini figured that he can rely on the gameplans that he used over the 5 game win streak to carry him INTO the playoffs. At that time, he'd THEN start to employ new techniques to "surprise the other team"

Example A: Utilizing Clowney as a deep threat once the postseason starts-- a burner that the league hasn't seen, adding a brand new element to the offense.

Example B: A constant barrage of blitzes (like the patriots game from 2 years ago) to completely confuse the defense.

Bottom line is, do you think Mangini is keeping this plain vanilla so that he has tricks up his sleeve for the playoffs?

Obviously at this point it may not matter…they're choking away that chance they had to "cruise into the payoffs."[/QUOTE]

Congrats, this now the dumbest thing I've ever heard!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetDevil74;2900407]I just sent a message to Eric Mangini through the Jets "Contact Us" section of the official website. Basically told him that he's losing support and that his scheme needs to change. I signed it "Jets fan base" I encourage other fans to do the same.[/QUOTE]

Done! :rockon:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I never said it WAS MY THEORY.

I just said it was [I]a[/I] theory. =/

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets31;2900133]In a word........NO

And enough with the CLOWNEY crap already.

The guy caught 3 passes in the preseason against guys that aren't even in the league right now and for some reason he has been the missing piece all season. Gimme a break![/QUOTE]

lmao thank you for bringin' us back to reality..... we have to get to the playoffs first before we even think about doing anything unorthodox you know... i just so sick and tired of losin' in the first or second round all the time!!!!!! :steamin:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;2900156]I'm not saying he's losing on purpose...from from it...

I am just trying to think of a reason as to why Mangini has not employed certain strategies that would seemingly address some glaring holes (stretching the field to utilize favre's arm + heavy pass rush to make up for weaknesses in the secondary)[/QUOTE]no but being a former db coach i think he may believe in coverage a little more than he should.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;2900822]Hey, I never said it WAS MY THEORY.

I just said it was [I]a[/I] theory. =/[/QUOTE]

LOL, I just want some of what you're smokin'.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=tedtedthefootballhead;2900703]No to your theory. But it makes you wonder what's up, right?

My theory, and many others have said it too......its knowing how to make adjustments, knowing what to try so as to fix what's not working, especially in mid-game. Our coaching staff, HC/OC/DC, none of them have extensive experience holding those positions. All of them were 1st yr hires. They are learning it as they go I think. At least I hope they are learning it. I don't see very good results of the 'learning' that should have taken place between the Denver loss and the SF game. They should have learned something about our poor pass defense by now and figured out a way to lessen it. As a matter of fact, now that we have added several players who 'fit the mold' for a 3-4, our defense should be MUCH better, but yet it's only better on the run-side.

I heard/read that Mangini is putting more guy's in 'coverage' which is why we're only rushing 3 much of the time. Well, OK. So if we're putting more guy's in coverage, and less guy's rushing, then we won't get sacks, but the WR/TE/RB should all be covered then, right? Why is there always a guy open underneath? Why do they pick us apart? What are all these 'coverage guys' doing? It don't look like they are doing much 'covering' now does it?

I never really liked 'zone' coverage. Give me man-to-man with a good pass rush and I'll bet you get better results. Man-to-man you can cover for a few seconds, and with a good pass rush/pressure and tight coverage, you should see much less completions against us.

Zone coverage always results in someone finding the hole in coverage, and rushing 3 or 4 allows the QB enough time to find that open guy in the hole. Just because we have more guys covering the zones does not mean there are no holes. Yesterday I saw one play. Typical. We rush 3, and there standing right in the middle of the field is a WR with 3 jets surrounding him, except that they were all at least 4 steps away from him in every direction. QB has time, waits for the WR to plant himself in the middle of that hole, and ZIP. Completion. 1st down. This goes on over and over and over.

So, we see it right there in front of our eyes. I say 'this guy is killing us'.
    What's with the wide open people?

What do the coaches see? What do the coaches say? What do the coaches do? Well, I have no clue if they see it or not but I can't imagine they DONT SEE IT. I have no clue if they discuss it or say anything between to themselves. But I sure as **** know what they are doing! THEY ARE DOING NOTHING! Because it happens over and over and over. Bottom line this tells me that they do not know how to make adjustments, they do not know how to fix what's not working, which is what I said in the very beginning.[/QUOTE]

The coaches see more than we do, you're absolutely right though...

The problem is... We're going into Buffalo and will probably win that game somewhere in the mark of Jets (35-28) Bills (14-3)

After that game, the coaches will say... Look, we CAN win with this defense after all... That'll be the final straw leading into Seattle and watching an unequipped QB in Seneca Wallace (we can only hope Hasselbeck is out) throw to John Carlson over and over and over and over and over until they double our TOP and end up winning the game by a subpar 14-10...

The only way to counter a bad passing defense... Press with what you have (front 4 if we'd use it and rush 2, possibly 1 CB 1 S or 1 OLB)

It's obvious with the size of our defense and the schemes we run in, we don't belong covering 4 WR's (Elam covering a 4.3 running WR? Should give Mangini nightmares) ... I bet they stop spreading when you show different coverage, blitz 30-60% in your cover schemes and dent a few helmets on your way in...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fabulous theory...we're game planning for next month. Most of the other coaches are game planning next Sunday.

I'll help by checking the weather forecast for a city TBD.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think if the Jets don’t make the playoffs and Mangini gets fired, he can point to this game. I blame this one on him, after a bad home loss the team just wasn’t ready to play (physically, emotionally, or game plan wise) against an inferior opponent. AND, he again refuses to make any meaningful halftime adjustments. I mean they made Shaun Hill look like Joe Montana in the first half, and they did nothing to change that at the whistle. The secret is clearly out that the Jets can’t stop the pass and everyone is going to continue to exploit that until they prove they can do something about it. Lowery seriously shouldn’t be allowed to set foot on the field anymore. The only chance he has of stopping a play is by penalty and he continues to do that once or twice a game (blatantly I might add). Sadly, they really need Gholston to step up. He’s the only one with the physical tools to be that consistent outside pass rush on obvious passing situations, he just can’t do it mentally.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    2008 NYJ in Pro-bowl: Kerry Rhodes, D-Revis, Mangold

No love for Washington or T Jones?

Washington makes it for KR hands down... TJ is debatable but has had a great season for a winning team...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Teams have dogged it in the last few games on purpose before, and it never works. They have made it as far as the SB with that take, but always lost. Besides, who are we kidding, we aren't dogging it. We're getting beat.

I EM doesn't start trying to come up with new plays. You have to stick with the plan that won you games to begin with. A trick play or 2 is ok, but this team in particular is doomed when we even think about a trick play so...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you guys waste your time with threads like this. The problem is quite simple. Mangini is an incompetent. Remember, this is a man who lost defensive play calling responsibilities in New England.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;2901009]Why do you guys waste your time with threads like this. The problem is quite simple. Mangini is an incompetent. Remember, this is a man who lost defensive play calling responsibilities in New England.[/QUOTE]

Amen brother!!! Although I would extend this to Shotti and Sutton as well.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=JamaicanJetFan;2900123]Could it be that after going 8-3, Mangini started to gameplan for the playoffs? Hear me out. I feel that Mangini figured that he can rely on the gameplans that he used over the 5 game win streak to carry him INTO the playoffs. At that time, he'd THEN start to employ new techniques to "surprise the other team"

Example A: Utilizing Clowney as a deep threat once the postseason starts-- a burner that the league hasn't seen, adding a brand new element to the offense.

Example B: A constant barrage of blitzes (like the patriots game from 2 years ago) to completely confuse the defense.

Bottom line is, do you think Mangini is keeping this plain vanilla so that he has tricks up his sleeve for the playoffs?

Obviously at this point it may not matter…they're choking away that chance they had to "cruise into the payoffs."[/quote]

Why not? I'll buy it.

Every week we see the coaching staff try and get too cute and outsmart themselves, ending in some ridiculous playcalling that usually backfires.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2900163]You can't be serious.[/QUOTE]

I'm terribly afraid that he is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WILL_22;2901049]Amen brother!!! Although I would extend this to Shotti and Sutton as well.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected--Indeed, Shaby and Suctton should be included.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsMakeMeCry;2900804]what website and where?[/QUOTE]

Step 1: Go to newyorkjets.com
    Step 2: Scroll all the way down to the bottom and click "Contact"
    Step 3: Change subject to "Coaches"
    Step 4: Enter your message and send with a sense of satisfaction.