Thread: The worst of Bowl Sponsers

The worst of Bowl Sponsers

#1: Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl, seriously (Boston College Vs. Vanderbilt)

#2: magicJack St. Petersburg Bowl, What in the hell is a magicJack, and why is it capitalized by monkeys? Also, it's nice to see the Trop getting used in the winter time. Too bad they'll be a crowd of 800 people to see this game. (Memphis Vs. South Florida)

#3: EagleBank Bowl: I hope this isn't a bank going out of business. Apparently this is the 1st year for the bowl and I wonder around September the mgmt thought, well, the economy sucks, but at least we still have that battle between the ACC #5 team and the 2nd best service academy team, that'll make people deposit in our bank.
    Is there any value in advertising in a little bowl? Maybe for mAGiCjaCk, since they aren't a real company (Wake Forest Vs. Navy)

#4 Roady's Humanitarian Bowl: Again, what is Roady's, what does it have to do with humanitarian work, and why the humanitarian bowl... Is there a particularly high level of humanitarians in Idaho? Do they like Smurf Turf? (Maryland Vs. Nevada)

#5 PapaJohns.com Bowl: It's just weird that it's not that PapaJohns Bowl. I'm sure there's a logical reason for making it .com anything, Maybe the .com part of PapaJohns lost a bet. (NC State Vs. Rutgers)

#6: Valero Alamo Bowl: This one is only funny to me because Valero is the Venezualan Oil Company. Of all the Bowl games they could have picked, they went with the most American sounding of Bowls. I think they should have a oil grab at halftime, shoot 100 gallons of oil on the field and let a bunch of little leagues grab as much as they can.
    Then a fake Hugo Chavez can spit on them... why? I don't know. (Missouri Vs. Northwestern)

#7: San Diego County Credit Union Pointsetta Bowl: I guess this is different than a bank, but it's just weird. Also, the 2nd or 3rd most interesting bowl game in the entire schedule (Boise St. Vs. TCU)

Sadly, I've gotten to the point where I don't even question the Chik-Fil-A Bowl. It seems reasonable to me.
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 12-11-2008 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    #1: Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl, seriously (Boston College Vs. Vanderbilt)
    That is the worst bowl name I have ever heard. That'll look great on a trophy... we won the Gaylord Bowl!

#7: San Diego County Credit Union Pointsetta Bowl: I guess this is different than a bank, but it's just weird. Also, the 2nd or 3rd most interesting bowl game in the entire schedule (Boise St. Vs. TCU)
    That is the second worst bowl name I have ever heard.

#4 Roady's Humanitarian Bowl: Again, what is Roady's, what does it have to do with humanitarian work, and why the humanitarian bowl... Is there a particularly high level of humanitarians in Idaho? Do they like Smurf Turf? (Maryland Vs. Nevada)
    We call road head a 'roady.' Although I guess it would be spelled 'roadie.'

Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    I guess that would be a humanitarian effort for truckers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I heard the papajohn's Bowl doesn't even serve pizza, maybe we can order it from the website. Just hope I don't have to ring my own beer.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    I heard the papajohn's Bowl doesn't even serve pizza, maybe we can order it from the website. Just hope I don't have to ring my own beer.
    Can you imagine a group of people angrier about papajohns pizza than guys from New Jersey?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Can you imagine a group of people angrier about papajohns pizza than guys from New Jersey?
    I've never even tried it, but no doubt it's on the level of Dominoes. I'm still shocked they built a franchise with that cardboard.

Jets Insider VIP
    Boca Raton, FL / Surrendered my PSL's biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    Thats funny. Thats what my circle calls a drink for the ride. Like a "road soda". Or "Roadie"

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

BC returns half their tickets...

http://tennessean.com/article/200812...89/1002/SPORTS

Music City Bowl tickets go slow, steady

Officials confident for crowd of 55,000 for Vanderbilt vs. Boston College game

By Mike Organ • THE TENNESSEAN • December 12, 2008

Dour forecasts concerning ticket sales for the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl between Vanderbilt and Boston College might not be realized.
    Fears centered on a matchup between two private schools with small fan bases and a sagging economy that could discourage travelers.

Yet, a record number of 27,000 tickets sold before the teams were announced Sunday combined with a steady flow of about 1,500 tickets being sold per day by Vanderbilt have bowl officials encouraged.
    The game did not sell all remaining tickets in one day like last year after Kentucky and Florida State accepted invitations, but the Vanderbilt ticket office reported Thursday it had sold 7,342 of its allotted 13,500 tickets.
    Bowl officials said Boston College had requested 5,000 tickets.
    That means officials, who admit the economy could affect sales, remain confident they will reach their goal to sell 55,000 tickets in advance of the Dec. 31 game at 67,000-seat LP Field.
    "Will there still be tickets available (on game day)? Yes,'' Music City Bowl Executive Director Scott Ramsey said. "Are they selling as well as we'd hoped? Yes, I think they really are."
    While three of the past four Music City Bowls have been sellouts, the average attendance over the past five years was 59,680.
    Asking for more

Vanderbilt officials requested 2,000 more tickets than the automatic allotment of 11,500 granted to the Southeastern Conference representative. Boston College, meanwhile, returned half of the 10,000 allotted to the Atlantic Coast Conference team.
    Ramsey is not surprised Vanderbilt, which has not played in a bowl in 26 years, still has about half of the tickets it requested.
    "We probably have got to be a little more patient with the schools that are in our bowl this year,'' Ramsey said. "With one of the teams (Vanderbilt) being local, the local fans don't have to plan a trip out of town. If you're going to plan a trip out of town, normally this first week is when we see 90 percent of our sales because everybody has got to get their hotel rooms. They've got to get their travel plans done. They've got to decide if they're driving or flying. Well, the local fans can still wait."
    Tickets were available only online after the teams were announced late Sunday afternoon. Eric Jones, the school's ticket manager, said it sold more than 1,000 by midnight and sold an average of 1,586 more tickets each of the next four days.
    "We were amazed by how well sales went when we started on Sunday,'' Jones said. "Then for the full 24-hour period Monday we had over 1,800 sold and I'm thinking, 'We're really cooking.' I figured it had to cut down at some point because we had already presold some as well and it went down from there on Tuesday. But then Wednesday we just had a ridiculously busy day and sold just under 2,000."
    Staying busy

Vanderbilt has taken an aggressive approach in its effort to sell tickets, Vice Chancellor David Williams said. He put together a group who sent e-mails Sunday to alumni and fans just minutes after the announcement was made that the Commodores were in the bowl.
    By Monday, another 16-person team was focused on selling tickets to alumni, another was targeting parents of students and another fans.
    "We've got our marketing people that are getting ready to go out to all of the merchants in the area with posters starting (Thursday) and then we're going to set up a phone bank and just start calling people,'' Williams said.
    "We think ticket sales are going pretty good when you think of two things. One, the economy — we look out and a lot of places are moving slower than they did a year or two ago. And two, a lot of people here don't have the urgency to buy tickets they would if we were somewhere else."
    Williams hopes fans realize the impact their support this year could have on the Commodores' chances of being invited to bowl games in the future. If there is evidence that fans won't follow the team to a bowl game, Vanderbilt might get passed over if other options are available.
    "You never know what tomorrow will bring, so don't take this for granted,'' Williams said. "Our future is now because any other time in the future any bowl that looks at us, they're going to look at this."
    Is it the economy?

Officials from some other bowls similar in size to the Music City have indicated a slight dip in ticket sales, which they believe might be caused by the economy, while others say they are selling tickets at record paces.
    "It's a little early at this point, but if there is an early indication I would say (the economy) is having an impact,'' said Champs Sports Bowl (Orlando, Fla.) Director of Communications Greg Creese. "I never heard anyone officially say they were selecting teams that were close enough for fans to drive, but that makes sense to take one less cost out of the equation."
    Florida State will play Wisconsin in the Dec. 27 Champs Sports Bowl.
    The Emerald Bowl in San Francisco, where Miami will face California on Dec. 27, is nearly sold out despite the economy.
    "I think the economy crossed the mind of every bowl director out there,'' Emerald Bowl Media Services Director Doug Kelly said. "A lot of bowls this year feature teams that are easy to get to the location by car. If you look at some of the matchups they're within — I'm not sure of how many hundreds of miles — but they're easily drivable. That makes a big difference."
    Officials at the Dec. 29 PapaJohns.com Bowl (North Carolina State vs. Rutgers) in Birmingham, Ala., say tickets are going fast.
    "Our sales across the board are up fairly significantly,''
    said Bo Kerr, sales and marketing manager. "Our game may be a little bit unique just because this is our third year, so we only have two years of data to compare it to."
    Ticket sales aren't quite as brisk at the Dec. 28 Independence Bowl (Northern Illinois vs. Louisiana Tech) in Shreveport, La., but officials aren't blaming the economy. Not having an SEC representative because not enough were bowl eligible is to blame.
    "The economy has not slowed down ticket sales or sponsorship for that matter,'' said John Cordaro, assistant executive director for ticketing. "We have had a good renewal season as far as tickets and sponsorships, and we are still around 40,000 tickets sold counting 24,000 from the schools that they are contractually obligated to buy, which is quite typical for us around this time."
    Officials at the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas, where Oregon State will play Pitt on Dec. 31, said early ticket sales were down only slightly but overall they are on pace to match most recent years.
    "I think the economy has had some impact, but we're on par for where we usually are at this time,'' Sun Bowl Media Relations Director Trenten Hilburn said. "The phones haven't been ringing as frequently since we announced the teams is normal. But we had a lot of early presales so I think that's why our numbers sill look the same."
    Reach Mike Organ at 615-259-8021 morgan@tennessean.com.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 12-12-2008 at 10:47 AM.