Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Faneca

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Faneca

I thought he had an extremely poor game yesterday, particularly against the pass rush. It seems like he had a hard time against the straight ahead bull rush and he kept getting pushed back right into Farve. Also he did not look good against the 49er stunts.

I know he has been a marked improvement over what we had last year, and is a reason that Jones is having such a good year but shouldn't we expect more from the highest paid offensive lineman in the league?

I think in general our pass protection has been very good the past few weeks. It was mostly good yesterday till garbage time. I would never have expected him to be the weak link.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We should expect more from this entire ****ing team. It's completely unacceptable to lose to the Broncos and 49ers on back to back weeks. This team is regressing and something needs to happen now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I remember correctly, a lot of Steeler fans said Faneca was done when the Jets signed him. Looks like they might have been correct.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steelers fans say the same thing about every player that they dont resign, they said it about Faneca and they said it about Porter. They are homers.

Faneca played bad yesterday, but hes been very good all year and was one of the big reasons we won 5 in a row.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy is an outstanding run blocker,but as a pass blocker he can get a QB killed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;2900279]The guy is an outstanding run blocker,but as a pass blocker he can get a QB killed.[/QUOTE]
    From what I see he is really good out in space on screens, and pulling. Straight ahead he does not move the pile much. I think that's one of the reasons that we are not a good short yardage running team, and why we like to pass on 3rd or 4th and short.

I mean is he out of shape or does he need to hit the weight room more if no name defensive tackles and push him back so easily?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]I thought he had an extremely poor game yesterday, particularly against the pass rush. It seems like he had a hard time against the straight ahead bull rush and he kept getting pushed back right into Farve. Also he did not look good against the 49er stunts.

I know he has been a marked improvement over what we had last year, and is a reason that Jones is having such a good year but shouldn't we expect more from the highest paid offensive lineman in the league?

I think in general our pass protection has been very good the past few weeks. It was mostly good yesterday till garbage time. I would never have expected him to be the weak link.[/QUOTE]

Quick thought is when you put your OL in Pass protect mode they will only be able to maintain that for so long. Pass blocking schemes are much different from run blocking, run blocking put the OL in more of an attack mode and wears the D line down; Pass blocking put them in more of a prevent mode trying to hold up the line of scrimmage and wears the OL out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He struggled against Justin Smith on the pass rush. Frisco smartly moved Smith to play against Faneca on the inside because he had no luck against Brick. Smith is a good player though, without a doubt.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;2900386]He struggled against Justin Smith on the pass rush. Frisco smartly moved Smith to play against Faneca on the inside because he had no luck against Brick. Smith is a good player though, without a doubt.[/QUOTE]

I thought Brick was outstanding yesterday. He is definately playing at a Pro Bowl level.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2900319]From what I see he is really good out in space on screens, and pulling. Straight ahead he does not move the pile much. I think that's one of the reasons that we are not a good short yardage running team, and why we like to pass on 3rd or 4th and short.

I mean is he out of shape or does he need to hit the weight room more if no name defensive tackles and push him back so easily?[/QUOTE]

Nah he's just what he is at this stage of his career.Last yr dwayne Robertson ate his lunch sacking Big Ben 3 times.Yes,our Former DT .Didn't stop us from giving him the contract we gave him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    When Faneca lays an egg so does our offense as a whole. As Faneca goes so does the Jets offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;2900445]Nah he's just what he is at this stage of his career.Last yr dwayne Robertson ate his lunch sacking Big Ben 3 times.Yes,our Former DT .Didn't stop us from giving him the contract we gave him.[/QUOTE]

What the hell were you watching? Robertson was on the nose matched up against Mahan each time. Absolutely wasn't Faneca. Mahan was awful and the reason that they signed Hartwig.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    you can easily make the case that faneca was bad yesterday but if you looked at certain plays there seemed to be a lack of communication across the whole line. farve was sacked and there seemed to be 3 or 4 ol standing around which tells me that an assignment was missed somewhere

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;2900279]The guy is an outstanding run blocker,but as a pass blocker he can get a QB killed.[/QUOTE]

Yup.

Can't count the number of times he's had to peel Favre off the ground because his guy just crushed him.

That said, is he overpaid? For sure. Is he valuable? For sure.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2900242]I thought he had an extremely poor game yesterday, particularly against the pass rush. It seems like he had a hard time against the straight ahead bull rush and he kept getting pushed back right into Farve. Also he did not look good against the 49er stunts.

I think in general our pass protection has been very good the past few weeks. It was mostly good yesterday till garbage time. I would never have expected him to be the weak link.[/QUOTE]

I agree totally....I started to make a thread about this morning but ended up putting it in a post

[url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2899852&postcount=11[/url]

he was awful. not just mediocre as he was the first few games of the year, but down right atrocious. I don't think his skills have declined as he has been fairly stout over the past 5 weeks or so, but yesterday was a rotten game for him.

He got bull rushed time and time again and got tossed like a rag doll. A combination of WRs who don't get open and a porous Oline is a very dangerous combination.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chupa;2900249]We should expect more from this entire ****ing team. It's completely unacceptable to lose to the Broncos and 49ers on back to back weeks. This team is regressing and something needs to happen now.[/QUOTE]

i agree with you entirelly my friend....... maybe they are being overworked in practice or something man i just cant come up with a logical explaination as to why they suck right now....... :huh:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chupa;2900258]Steelers fans say the same thing about every player that they dont resign, they said it about Faneca and they said it about Porter. They are homers.

Faneca played bad yesterday, but hes been very good all year and was one of the big reasons we won 5 in a row.[/QUOTE]

Chupa,

There's been a few times I was ready to post something and you took the words out of my mounth. Good posting my fire breathing friend...or whatever that is.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our offensive line and Thomas Jones are the only parts of this team that have not regressed in the past two weeks. Faneca, Brick, Woody, Mangold, and Moore have played as well as a unit as any in the NFL but as the Chiefs showed us time and time again, a great O-Line does not guarantee success when your offense cannot convert on 3rd down. Favre had all day to throw against these chumps and couldn't find the open man, SF took Keller and Leon out of the picture by stacking the line and taking away the short passing option. We know Favre has the ability to throw the deep ball and the out, anyone remember that TD throw he made to Coles against the Titans? He threw it on the run, across his body, and into triple coverage and nailed it. We know he can do it but for some reason it just hasn't been there lately.

Take a look at what San Francisco did to our defense with their tough ball control offense, they held the ball for over 40 minutes just like we did against the Titans and killed us because our 3-4 personnel evidently are not on the same page. Say what you want about Law, Coleman, Poteat, and Lowery but no corner can cover a receiver for more than three or four seconds, hell even Revis was getting beat on the crossing patterns to Bruce and he's playing at a Pro-Bowl level. The point is that our defensive playcalling is stale, predictable, and unproductive; everyone knows it to be true but Sutton hasn't been compelled to change anything considering our offense usually jumps out to a big lead early on. Now it has to change or this team will have to tally up yet another season ending collapse. What Sutton needs to do is to stop worrying about percentage plays when we are down by 7 or more and start sending Thomas and Pace after the QB, that's what they love to do and that's where they shine. Sure Jenkins can get a sack every now and then but NTs aren't meant to be the primary pass rushers and a three man line is not going to beat a 5 man O-Line even 5% of the time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=XingDaorong;2900962]Our offensive line and Thomas Jones are the only parts of this team that have not regressed in the past two weeks. Faneca, Brick, Woody, Mangold, and Moore have played as well as a unit as any in the NFL but as the Chiefs showed us time and time again, a great O-Line does not guarantee success when your offense cannot convert on 3rd down. Favre had all day to throw against these chumps and couldn't find the open man, SF took Keller and Leon out of the picture by stacking the line and taking away the short passing option. We know Favre has the ability to throw the deep ball and the out, anyone remember that TD throw he made to Coles against the Titans? He threw it on the run, across his body, and into triple coverage and nailed it. We know he can do it but for some reason it just hasn't been there lately.

Take a look at what San Francisco did to our defense with their tough ball control offense, they held the ball for over 40 minutes just like we did against the Titans and killed us because our 3-4 personnel evidently are not on the same page. Say what you want about Law, Coleman, Poteat, and Lowery but no corner can cover a receiver for more than three or four seconds, hell even Revis was getting beat on the crossing patterns to Bruce and he's playing at a Pro-Bowl level. The point is that our defensive playcalling is stale, predictable, and unproductive; everyone knows it to be true but Sutton hasn't been compelled to change anything considering our offense usually jumps out to a big lead early on. Now it has to change or this team will have to tally up yet another season ending collapse. What Sutton needs to do is to stop worrying about percentage plays when we are down by 7 or more and start sending Thomas and Pace after the QB, that's what they love to do and that's where they shine. Sure Jenkins can get a sack every now and then but NTs aren't meant to be the primary pass rushers and a three man line is not going to beat a 5 man O-Line even 5% of the time.[/QUOTE]

in regards to our disgusting playcalling..thomas jones ran the ball 10 freaking times..how can this be..that explains why we barely had the football all day

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=XingDaorong;2900962]Our offensive line and Thomas Jones are the only parts of this team that have not regressed in the past two weeks. Faneca, Brick, Woody, Mangold, and Moore have played as well as a unit as any in the NFL but as the Chiefs showed us time and time again, a great O-Line does not guarantee success when your offense cannot convert on 3rd down. Favre had all day to throw against these chumps and couldn't find the open man, SF took Keller and Leon out of the picture by stacking the line and taking away the short passing option. We know Favre has the ability to throw the deep ball and the out, anyone remember that TD throw he made to Coles against the Titans? He threw it on the run, across his body, and into triple coverage and nailed it. We know he can do it but for some reason it just hasn't been there lately.

Take a look at what San Francisco did to our defense with their tough ball control offense, they held the ball for over 40 minutes just like we did against the Titans and killed us because our 3-4 personnel evidently are not on the same page. Say what you want about Law, Coleman, Poteat, and Lowery but no corner can cover a receiver for more than three or four seconds, hell even Revis was getting beat on the crossing patterns to Bruce and he's playing at a Pro-Bowl level. The point is that our defensive playcalling is stale, predictable, and unproductive; everyone knows it to be true but Sutton hasn't been compelled to change anything considering our offense usually jumps out to a big lead early on. Now it has to change or this team will have to tally up yet another season ending collapse. What Sutton needs to do is to stop worrying about percentage plays when we are down by 7 or more and start sending Thomas and Pace after the QB, that's what they love to do and that's where they shine. Sure Jenkins can get a sack every now and then but NTs aren't meant to be the primary pass rushers and a three man line is not going to beat a 5 man O-Line even 5% of the time.[/QUOTE]
    Solid post. I agree with most of what you say with the exception of the OL line play the last 2 weeks. Yes their pass protection with the exception of Faneca has been good. Our running attack has not been the same since the Tenn game. Yes against Denver we had 2 long runs (with one of them being a fluke), but we have not been able to grind out the long drives or get crucial short yardage gains when we need them.

Pass protection has been good, (with the exception of Faneca yesterday) but for whatever reason Farve is not on the same page as his receivers.

I still say that Farve does not have total command of the offense and it shows most when we get behind.