Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bush Says He Doubts Bible Literally True

All Pro
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2903598]Funny, that could be said of those of the enlightenment era...why actually think about philosophical and theological things when you can run with the pack and say science can prove everything?

It's a b**ch when the ball can be played in both courts, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

No, it's not equivalent at all. No one is contained in thinking about philosophical or theological questions because they expect what they know in the material world to be established by an inductive process of experimentation and systematic exploration. What science cannot prove it is usually wise enough to be quiet about. How the Bible ever ever became a blueprint for anything scientific is just astonishing to me. As a reflection of a personal relationship between humanity and God, as an attempt to understand that relationship, it does indeed have much to offer. But to seek out explanations for pretty much anything in the realm of physics, biology, astronomy, or chemistry is about as dumb as one can get. I might as well read a cookbook to determine what kind of government to run. Creationism is a complete misuse of the Bible.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2903347]Jeez, c'mon bro...

The point was to show religious fruitcake dummies that they have been being used for the past 8 years by the Republican Party. They don't give a rat's ass about religious crap, they just use the churchgoing masses penchant for believing sh*t that's made up to turn them into a solid voting block that doesn't ask questions about policy just as long as the candidate hate homos.

BTW, you would be surprised to see how many Americans believe the bible to be literal.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. That might be true, but I believe you can be deeply religious without actually taking the bible word for word.

Does this mean he is going to hell?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=FF2;2903801]Does this mean he is going to hell?[/QUOTE]

Where do monkeys go when they die?

Jets Insider VIP
    George Bush is going to hell, end of story. That one statement by him is enough to damn his soul forever. What a fool.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2903940]George Bush is going to hell, end of story. That one statement by him is enough to damn his soul forever. What a fool.[/QUOTE]

I luv you Bernie, really

[QUOTE=sackdance99;2903940]George Bush is going to hell, end of story. That one statement by him is enough to damn his soul forever. What a fool.[/QUOTE]

Bush is a fool? Alert the media!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=parafly;2903630]Well, I would argue that it can't be played in both courts.

On a fundamental level, science is all about critical thinking. In most cases, religion is the opposite. It's their way, or the highway (aka eternal damnation in hell).[/QUOTE]

Thank you for proving my point.

Yes, because there are absolutely NO agendas in science what so ever. Nobody happens to find the certain evidence someone is looking for, depending on who pays the bill.

You guys keep forgetting I don't have a problem with science, but fundamentalism, that is another story...

And yes, because EVERYBODY involved in theology thinks that if you don't believe exactly what they think they damn you to hell....Some of you guys really need to turn off Benny Hinn et al and read some stuff. You would be presently surprised.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2903640]No, it's not equivalent at all. No one is contained in thinking about philosophical or theological questions because they expect what they know in the material world to be established by an inductive process of experimentation and systematic exploration. What science cannot prove it is usually wise enough to be quiet about. How the Bible ever ever became a blueprint for anything scientific is just astonishing to me. As a reflection of a personal relationship between humanity and God, as an attempt to understand that relationship, it does indeed have much to offer. But to seek out explanations for pretty much anything in the realm of physics, biology, astronomy, or chemistry is about as dumb as one can get. I might as well read a cookbook to determine what kind of government to run. Creationism is a complete misuse of the Bible.[/QUOTE]

OKay first off, you need to read my post:

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2903598]Funny, that could be said of those of the enlightenment era...why actually think about philosophical and theological things when you can run with the pack and say science can prove everything?

It's a b**ch when the ball can be played in both courts, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

I never once said anything about creationism...My comment pertains to the idea that the study of theology and the study of science do not have to oppose each other. I don't think the bible is a book about physics, biology, astronomy etc...however, the reasoning behind this is fundamentalists (which I am not) having their back up against the wall because of the constant bombardment from those who keep diminishing the value theology has to offer the world.

Is some of it warranted? Of course, hey, you would be naive to believe that religion did not stifle, thwart, deny, and any other verb you can think of over the past two hundred odd years. However, it is time for each discipline to go to their respective corners, wait for the bell, and come out and shake hands. Science can do wonders for theology, and enrich its understanding of the spiritual realm, just like theology can guide science through the moral mine-field it can create by the desire to do something just because 'we can.'

Again, I am not an enemy of science, and I don't like the whole 6-day creation idea...however, I just wish the two could sit down and talk, you know?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=AceBoy;2902604][url]http://news.aol.com/article/bush-says-he-doubts-bible-literally-true/264531?icid=200100397x1215022060x1200954500[/url][/QUOTE]

Thank you for this post. One of the few initial post during the religious season that I could stay awake for.

Now then. Bush is certainly going to hell. For lying more than anything. I think people can be sentenced to hell by god for lying can't they?

As a lame duck president most don't care where he goes.

What laugh! Would you have become president if you did not believe in god? Of course he would not have. The evangelicals that he had to embrace to get support would have seen to that. He lied again, he is going to hell no two ways about it. He should just start listening to AD/DC right now. Hell bound for sure.

[QUOTE=Freeridelectric;2904433] I think people can be sentenced to hell by god for lying can't they?

[/QUOTE]

Yikes.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2903842]Where do monkeys go when they die?[/QUOTE]

Hey that was funny. LOL

[quote=long island leprechaun;2903208]The scariest thing was finding out that 70% of respondents actually believe in creationism. We are a scientifically illiterate society. The French were right all along....[/quote]

Define Creationism - because that poll pits creation ex nihilo and evolution as mutually exclusive options

All League
    [QUOTE=Freeridelectric;2904433]Thank you for this post. One of the few initial post during the religious season that I could stay awake for.

Now then. Bush is certainly going to hell. For lying more than anything. I think people can be sentenced to hell by god for lying can't they?

As a lame duck president most don't care where he goes.

What laugh! Would you have become president if you did not believe in god? Of course he would not have. The evangelicals that he had to embrace to get support would have seen to that. He lied again, he is going to hell no two ways about it. He should just start listening to AD/DC right now. Hell bound for sure.[/QUOTE]

I can go to Hell for listening to AC/DC?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2904437]Yikes.[/QUOTE]

I guess you can tell I am not well versed in the ways of religion.

All I know is when you do somthing bad god can do what ever he wants to you and there is not a damn thing you can do. If I see him or her or it (cause he might be a woman) after me I will run like hell.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=ReleasetheAnimal;2904489]I can go to Hell for listening to AC/DC?[/QUOTE]

I expect you can. I went to there concert a few weeks ago in Tacoma Washington. You should have seen all the devil horns with lights on them. Even the Run Away Train had horn sticking out of it. Towards the end Malcome Young put on some horns and jammed.

For a bunch of hell bound people every one was very nice. The music was too loud so the devil did not attend.

All League
    [QUOTE=Freeridelectric;2904505]I expect you can. I went to there concert a few weeks ago in Tacoma Washington. You should have seen all the devil horns with lights on them. Even the Run Away Train had horn sticking out of it. Towards the end Malcome Young put on some horns and jammed.

For a bunch of hell bound people every one was very nice. The music was too loud so the devil did not attend.[/QUOTE]

So, if you attended, you must be going to Hell as well, right?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=ReleasetheAnimal;2904511]So, if you attended, you must be going to Hell as well, right?[/QUOTE]

I am one of those bad people who do not live in fear of what people refer to as God. I just try to do the right thing so I can live with myself. I expect when I die I will go to the same place my 14 yr old dog went. I will go back to star dust. Nothing more, nothing less. Cheers.

All League
    [QUOTE=Freeridelectric;2904530]I am one of those bad people who do not live in fear of what people refer to as God. I just try to do the right thing so I can live with myself. I expect when I die I will go to the same place my 14 yr old dog went. I will go back to star dust. Nothing more, nothing less. Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, cool. Right on.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2903208]The scariest thing was finding out that 70% of respondents actually believe in creationism. We are a scientifically illiterate society. The French were right all along....[/QUOTE]

Why couldn't god have created this thing, instead of the big bang, and then just let things evolve as they would through universal free will..