Thread: Peavey may go to Cubs and DeRosa may go to Phils

Hall Of Fame

Peavey may go to Cubs and DeRosa may go to Phils

I'd hate to see DeRosa go, but a starting rotation of Zambrano, Peavey, Harden,
    and Dempster looks good. Cubs are trying to sign 2B Brian Roberts too, but how much money does the going bankrupt Tribune company have?

Jake Peavy deal waits on Cubs decision
    Sources say DeRosa, Marquis included in proposed 3-team trade

By Paul Sullivan | Tribune reporter
    10:58 PM CST, December 9, 2008

LAS VEGAS - While general manager Jim Hendry said he spoke to representatives of three or four free agents Tuesday on the second day of baseball's winter meetings, the Jake Peavy rumors continue to take center stage.

Hendry declined to comment on talk that Mark DeRosa was headed to Philadelphia for pitching prospects that would be sent to San Diego to complete a potential Peavy deal, but Phillies sources insisted a deal was in place and ready to go if the Cubs decide to pull the trigger with the Padres.

Cubs Chairman Crane Kenney said the team can afford to add a lucrative long-term contract even without knowing exactly who the new owner will be, which suggests Peavy's $63 million contract is within the projected budgets that already have been presented to the bidders.

"We think within the budget we have, we have enough room to do most of the things we need to do," Kenney said.

While nothing appears imminent, the Cubs have done enough groundwork on the Peavy deal to pull it off quickly. According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Jason Marquis would replace Sean Marshall in the package going to the Padres, with the Cubs eating more than half of his $9.8 million salary. The Phillies would send two pitching prospects to the Padres while acquiring DeRosa from the Cubs.

DeRosa is considered expendable because he's in the final year of his contract and doesn't have a no-trade clause.

Asked about trading the popular second baseman, Hendry replied: "I don't talk about our guys."

If DeRosa were traded, Mike Fontenot would move to second base, and the Cubs would sign a veteran backup. Manager Lou Piniella said Monday that Fontenot also would be given playing time at short in spring training.

But first, the Cubs are focusing on finding a left-handed, middle-of-the-order hitter, and may be closing in on switch-hitter Milton Bradley. The Cubs also have interest in free-agent outfielder Bobby Abreu, but there had been no formal talks as of Tuesday evening. Abreu's agent, Peter Greenberg, said the Yankees outfielder is interested in the Cubs.

But Bradley is a less-expensive option who has played 468 career games in center field and 151 in right, meaning Piniella could play Kosuke Fukudome in right against right-handers and use Reed Johnson in center against lefties, with Bradley moving to right.

Bradley, 31 in April, led the American League in on-base percentage (.436) while hitting a career-high 22 home runs with 77 RBIs in 126 games, mostly as a designated hitter, with Texas. The Cubs and Tampa Bay are the two teams showing the most interest in Bradley, a proven hitter with a history of health problems and occasional on-field explosions.

That raises the question of whether Piniella's increased patience is enough to allow him to co-exist with Bradley, whom one scout says was protected by manager Ron Washington in Texas.

Another scout believes Bradley would be the ideal addition to the Cubs because of his talent and his personality, saying "he'd make that team a lot of fun."

Health is another question, as Bradley has played more than 101 games only twice in his nine-year career.

Veteran
    Peavy has alot of health questions I would be concerned about, but the Cubs are in win now mode...If I were them I would not touch Bradley...I think Ibanez and Abreu would be better fits...DeRosa is very UNDERRATED IMO...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    Peavy has alot of health questions
    Not to mention Harden.

Not to mention Zambrano doesn't like to pitch in weather under 60 degrees. It's no coincidence the only good game he pitched in September was the perfecto against Houston-in Milwaukee's dome.

Hall Of Fame
    The problem with 3 team deals in baseball is there's too many moving parts to actually make it happen. Usually one team wakes up and realizes they're getting robbed and asks for more and it falls through. In this case, I'd have to think it'd be either the Padres for considering such a lackluster package, or the Cubs for not getting enough for DeRosa.