Thread: Gays urged to join 'call-in-gay' protest

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Gays urged to join 'call-in-gay' protest

[url]http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/business/articles/2008/12/10/20081210biz-nogayt1210.html[/url]

[B]Action protests laws banning unions of same-sex couples[/B]

[QUOTE]Gays and lesbians are being encouraged to call in "gay" to work today to support gay rights and spend the day performing community service.

"Day Without a Gay" aims to protest last month's passage of constitutional amendments banning same-sex marriages in Arizona, Florida and California. Participants also are encouraged to boycott anti-gay companies, according to the organizers' Web site.

But the action, which coincides with today's International Human Rights Day, is controversial because participants are urged not to call in sick but to call in gay, which could put their jobs in jeopardy.

This is not the first time a national work stoppage has been organized in support of a cause. Latinos organized several last year to show their economic power in the wake of Arizona's employer-sanctions law.

Joseph Gessulo, chairman of the Greater Phoenix Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce, said he opposes participating in Day Without a Gay. The chamber itself has not taken a stand.

"I don't think that is good for any business at this time when people are being laid off," he said. "Personally, I don't recommend that any business or any people in our community do anything like that."

Mark Ogden, an attorney with the Phoenix employment- and labor-law firm Littler Mendelson, said participants need to know their employers' rules.

"If a company has a policy that says you can take vacation days whenever you want but have to give the supervisor five days notice and you don't do that, then you could be disciplined for violating the notice provisions of the leave policy," he said.

Barbara McCullough-Jones, executive director of the Equality Arizona group that supports gay and lesbian rights, said that Arizona does not have a law protecting gays from discrimination in the workplace but that some cities and many businesses have such policies.

"What we ask is for people to make that decision for themselves," she said. "(We) ask people to live authentically, and if it means they call in tomorrow, they do.

"If it means they go to work and come out and maybe decide to start an LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) resource group in their workplace, that probably has a better long-term effect."

The Web site [url]www.daywithoutagay.net[/url] lists several places in the state where people can do community-service today, including Palo Cristi Presbyterian Church in Paradise Valley. The church's Rev. Debra Avery said she understands the idea is to take a day off without pay.

"It (Day Without a Gay) is a courageous move because it's an invitation for those in the gay community to come out for their co-workers and say this is who we are," she said.[/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a gay thing to do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2903951][url]http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/business/articles/2008/12/10/20081210biz-nogayt1210.html[/url]

[B]Action protests laws banning unions of same-sex couples[/B][/QUOTE]

I just checked your IP address. You're posting from home.

Board Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy-y-y-y;2903979]I just checked your IP address. You're posting from home.[/QUOTE]

Lolz. Pwned.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had off today..I swear

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2904019]I had off today..I swear[/QUOTE]

Yanks signing a good pitcher is a national holiday for you, isn't it?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Bill what kind of leave do you want to use today?

'gay time'

LMAO

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chirorob;2904071]Yanks signing a good pitcher is a national holiday for you, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

LOL... I couldn't concentrate in class today thinking about it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure that today all streets in Boston were empty

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RussianGreen;2904103]I am sure that today all streets in Boston were empty[/QUOTE]

The chick that works at the desk next to me called out today. I'll have to ask her if she is a lesbian...

That's hot.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel bad...you know there is some well dressed, neat dude who just happened to be sick today and his office is buzzing....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to call in today, but my boss couldn't understand me with the cock in my mouth.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance99;2903951][url]http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/business/articles/2008/12/10/20081210biz-nogayt1210.html[/url]

[B]Action protests laws banning unions of same-sex couples[/B][/QUOTE]
    [IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/nflnyjets/fail/Gaycalled.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Methinks Sackdance99 doth protest too much...

C'mon Sacky. Just come out of the closet once and for all

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a poorly thought out form of protest. Call in basically equating being gay to being sick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can just see it unfolding like this yesterday:

SD99: "cough, cough...um, I'm not feeling well, not gonna be in today"

SD99's Boss: "No homo?"

:D