Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: True Christians Against Christmas

Way too much negativity out there...there can be unintended consequences of a terrible credit crunch/recession. Life is beautiful. I, for one, am very thankful for all the gifts that god has bestowed on me...the key to happiness is to spread his good word,
    & not get caught up in the materialism that has dominated the past 20 years or so. The memories I have of growing up middle class in Massapequa, LI will stay w me forever. Let's not sweat the small stuff, live within our means, & help those who cant help themselves. THAT is how you find your way to salvation!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2904424]This also aptly describes the 1000th religious thread in a Politics/World Events forum. Unlike probably most every media outlet and discussion forum on the Internet, JI seems far more interested in the "War Against Christmas, version 20.08" than in the intrigue surrounding a governor caught by the FBI trying to sell the seat of a President-elect.

We have a decided plurality that agrees with the concept separation of church and state; wouldn't a separate forum for religion be a relief?[/QUOTE]

Look at the sub-heading: world events. Religion does fall under that.

I asked Warfish if we could have a religion forum, but .....

[QUOTE=Tucker134;2904749]Way too much negativity out there...there can be unintended consequences of a terrible credit crunch/recession. Life is beautiful. I, for one, am very thankful for all the gifts that god has bestowed on me...the key to happiness is to spread his good word,
    & not get caught up in the materialism that has dominated the past 20 years or so. The memories I have of growing up middle class in Massapequa, LI will stay w me forever. Let's not sweat the small stuff, live within our means, & help those who cant help themselves. THAT is how you find your way to salvation![/QUOTE]

I agree. Yes, I still have a job - but I'm not worried about the future. When you don't live beyond your means, having to cut back is not a big deal.

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2904824]Look at the sub-heading: world events. Religion does fall under that.[/QUOTE]
    So would paddle tennis.

My point is the theological debate is endless, much of it is intelligent and respectful I'll give you that, but I'm a little surprised by the interest. Funny how guys who don't believe in God will talk about God all day long.

But the "[Celeb du jour] will burn in hell" stuff is awful.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2904888]So would paddle tennis.

My point is the theological debate is endless, much of it is intelligent and respectful I'll give you that, but I'm a little surprised by the interest. Funny how guys who don't believe in God will talk about God all day long.

But the "[Celeb du jour] will burn in hell" stuff is awful.[/QUOTE]

fair enough....there are better forums like the wondercafe.ca that is more suited, but they don't offer Jet football talk as well:cool:

Yeah, I used to have a boss years ago who was a staunch atheist, but said "thank God" at least three times a shift when we worked together...go figure.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;2904239]For most Americans, it's about getting sh*t. Gimme gimme gimme. No one can deny how materialistic our society has become. We rack up credit card debt for short-term gratification. Christmas is that personified.[/QUOTE]

What personified? Oh, right, CAPITALISM!

What a shame, eh? Dear Lord BB, I never thought someone would sound even more bitter and cynical than I usually do.

Personally, I LOVE Christmas, and no, it's not about faith for me. It's a celebreation of getting through another year (relatively) unscathed, enjoying family and friends, time off to get mellow before the coming new year, and yes.....a time for gifts and giftgiving, happiness and pleasant thoughts. And yes, I love all the cheesy Christmas (non-faith-version) hoopla, the lights, the songs, the atmosphere.

Sure, shopping can be a drag at times. So what, if'n it's that bad, shop online. Or choose not to shop.

By the way BB, I LOVE my posessions. They make me happy too, and I don't think for a second there is anything wrong with that. I worked hard for them, I have every right to enjoy them.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2905098]What personified? Oh, right, CAPITALISM!

What a shame, eh? Dear Lord BB, I never thought someone would sound even more bitter and cynical than I usually do.

Personally, I LOVE Christmas, and no, it's not about faith for me. It's a celebreation of getting through another year (relatively) unscathed, enjoying family and friends, time off to get mellow before the coming new year, and yes.....a time for gifts and giftgiving, happiness and pleasant thoughts. And yes, I love all the cheesy Christmas (non-faith-version) hoopla, the lights, the songs, the atmosphere.

Sure, shopping can be a drag at times. So what, if'n it's that bad, shop online. Or choose not to shop.

By the way BB, I LOVE my posessions. They make me happy too, and I don't think for a second there is anything wrong with that. I worked hard for them, I have every right to enjoy them.[/QUOTE]

If people want to do it, fine. You know me, Warfish. Iím the last guy to take away anyoneís freedom to do anything that doesnít take away from another or their property. Even if I donít agree with it.

I like stuff, too. But if I value it, I will buy it myself. Thereís a decent chance that people will buy a gift for someone that isnít wanted. Now, people could give you a suggestion list Ė but that is so pointless. Just buy it yourself.

It seems like a wasteful, materialistic ritual that people do, just because. Thanksgiving is so much better in this regard because you donít have to worry about stuff, you enjoy your family. I can worry about stuff for myself.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2905098]What personified? Oh, right, CAPITALISM!

[B]Personally, I LOVE Christmas, and no, it's not about faith for me. It's a celebreation of getting through another year (relatively) unscathed, enjoying family and friends, time off to get mellow before the coming new year, and yes.....a time for gifts and giftgiving, happiness and pleasant thoughts. And yes, I love all the cheesy Christmas (non-faith-version) hoopla, the lights, the songs, the atmosphere.[/B]Sure, shopping can be a drag at times. So what, if'n it's that bad, shop online. Or choose not to shop.

By the way BB, I LOVE my posessions. They make me happy too, and I don't think for a second there is anything wrong with that. I worked hard for them, I have every right to enjoy them.[/QUOTE]

100% agree. We work hard all year, in a very competitive area. So it's a nice break from the fast-pace and the stress. We're very reasonable about how much we spend, and take the most pleasure from buying for the kids on our list. We also make a donation to a local animal shelter so we don't miss the point, lol. I respect BB, and other's viewpionts on this for sure. But as a non-religious person, and now couple, X-mas will always be about friends, family, food and drink, gifts, and remembering those in need.

But it is what what one chooses to make of it, I guess.