Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manny...closer to being a met then people think?

Hall Of Fame

Manny...closer to being a met then people think?

no one loves this guy more then Omar, and now that the dodgers have pulled the 2 year offer off the table where else can he go? I just don't see anyone outside a few teams willing to pay him what he wants.

Honestly, I don't think an NL team should go after Manny at all. He'll cost you probably about 25 runs defensively.

FWIW, Heyman does think the Yankees go after Manny and states that Hank is a big fan. Personally, I'd be completely against this idea.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Honestly, I don't think an NL team should go after Manny at all. He'll cost you probably about 25 runs defensively.

FWIW, Heyman does think the Yankees go after Manny and states that Hank is a big fan. Personally, I'd be completely against this idea.
    He is a liability in the field...but man can the guy hit...i mean geez what a ****ing hitter.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...est_in_ma.html

According to a person familiar with the Yankees' plans, who requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak for the team, there is a push by some members of the Yankees' organization to make a play for free-agent outfielder Manny Ramirez.

(...)

There was a report somewhere today about Hank Steinbrenner liking Ramirez, and apparently he's not the only one in the organization who feels that way. One Yankee insider said the team is driven to build a World Series winner in the short-term, especially since Sabathia can opt out of his seven-year contract after the first three years, and that many in the organization believe the lineup is short on power.

Pairing Ramirez with fellow 500-homer club member Alex Rodriguez in the middle of the lineup would certainly solve that problem. It might cause some overcrowding issues with Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui under contract for one more year, but the team could make a separate deal to alleviate that, by trading away one of those guys or Xavier Nady.

As for Ramirez's famed flakiness and attitude issues, the Yankees believe they would be able to keep him focused because they have been told he's "obsessed" with the idea of getting to 600 career home runs. He currently has 527.

The question is what kind of deal Ramirez is seeking. He turned down a two-year, $45 million deal from the Dodgers and is said to be looking for at least four years. It's unclear whether the Yankees would be willing to invest $100 million in Ramirez over four years, but they might be willing to pay him more per year if he'd take a shorter-term contract.

All League
    I wouldn't mind looking at Manny since we saved money on the K-Rod deal and other moves in the bullpen seem to be falling into place.

We need an offensive player that doesn't disappear for prolonged periods at a time.

if we get Manny i will have very happy pants.

Hall Of Fame
    There isn't a scenario out there that ends with Manny on the Mets, it's just not happening. For one, they can't afford to give him north of 20 million per, with the rotation issues still needing to be solved as well. For two, the Wilpons would never allow it, we had no interest in him midseason when we could have had him for free.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    There isn't a scenario out there that ends with Manny on the Mets, it's just not happening. For one, they can't afford to give him north of 20 million per, with the rotation issues still needing to be solved as well. For two, the Wilpons would never allow it, we had no interest in him midseason when we could have had him for free.
    I think you are wrong, but i guess time will tell. Omar has been longing for Manny for a few years now...i think it may get done.

All League
    Omar wanting someone is important. Even more important though, is the Wilpons wanting someone. If the Wilpons don't want him, it would be hard for a GM to spend the Wilpons money on him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Did you hear Omar on WFAN today? You can tell it destroys him inside knowing he can't have the guy on the team.

All Pro
    I don't see him becoming a Met, which I think is a good thing. Like Venom said, I think he needs to sign with an AL because of the defensive liability.

As for the Yanks going after him, I understand and respect him as the great hitter he is, but I just couldn't deal with him coming here. I'm not too concerned because I really doubt he ends up here, but having two Red Sox from the '04 team on the Yanks would make me sick.

Hall Of Fame
    Manny a Yankee? I'd throw up.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Manny a Yankee? I'd throw up.
    i am sure all the RBI's will make it easier to cope.

Veteran
    I think neither NY club should pay that kind of bank for a walking time bomb. Even if we ignore the long history of 'Manny is motivated by $' (what are you going to do, give him a 3rd WS ring?), he is approaching the age where players, especially pudgy ones, are good up until the moment where they arent.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    i am sure all the RBI's will make it easier to cope.
    he could knock in 200 for us and I'd still hate him
    Last edited by JetPotato; 12-11-2008 at 12:22 PM.

Veteran
    I dont like Manny personally, but its hard to argue with his production and how him hitting behind AROD might help him...after all they are buddies..lol

still it would really hard to root for him..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    He is a liability in the field...but man can the guy hit...i mean geez what a ****ing hitter.
    That's why he's right. The AL is the best destination for him if in fact he insists on a 5 or 6 year deal. Any NL team who signs Manny for 5 or 6 years is insane or desperate or both IMO.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    That's why he's right. The AL is the best destination for him if in fact he insists on a 5 or 6 year deal. Any NL team who signs Manny for 5 or 6 years is insane or desperate or both IMO.
    He won't get 5 or 6 years. 4 is the most he will get.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    He won't get 5 or 6 years. 4 is the most he will get.
    I'm going by what Boras has been alluding to for weeks. I'm sure the Dodgers would welcome him back for 3. I'm not sure they even want to go 4. But someone will if that's what it takes to get it done.

All Pro
    god i hope so...would kill me to see him at yankee stadium.