Thread: NY Daily News- Source: Yankees making big push to sign A.J. Burnett

Banned

NY Daily News- Source: Yankees making big push to sign A.J. Burnett

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...to_sign_a.html

Now that the Yankees have landed CC Sabathia with a seventh year and a critical opt-out clause after 2011, they have turned all their attention toward landing a second big starter with a five-year, $80 million offer to A.J. Burnett.

According to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, the Yankees extended their offer to Burnett Wednesday, and the two sides were working into the night on closing a deal for the 31-year-old righthander.

There were reports that Burnett's camp was looking for a deal in the range of Carlos Zambrano's five-year, $91.5 million contract, but the source said the Yankees were not willing to go that high, with their ceiling likely falling somewhere in the middle of the two figures.

Banned
    OKAY, I'm going to bed and hope to see the follwing when I wake up.

Sabathia
    Wang
    Burnett
    Joba
    TBA

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    OKAY, I'm going to bed and hope to see the follwing when I wake up.

Sabathia
    Wang
    Burnett
    Joba
    TBA
    That has the potential to be an absolutely FILTHY rotation no matter who you plug in at the 5 spot. Let's hope we wake up to another signing tomorrow morning.

Banned
    Ken Rosenthal

The Yankees, after reaching a preliminary agreement with free-agent left-hander CC Sabathia, have emerged as the clear front-runner for free-agent right-hander A.J. Burnett, according to major-league sources.

Burnett's representatives were expected to contact interested clubs Thursday, giving them one last chance to beat the Yankees offer of five years and approximately $85 million.

Banned
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

Cashman on another recruiting trip?

DECEMBER 11

Brian Cashman left the Bellagio before the Rule 5 Draft. When another Yankees official was asked if Cashman went back to New York, he refused to answer.

Makes you think that A.J. Burnett could be getting a visit. Or somebody.

More on this as it (or if it) develops.