Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Obama to Offer Israel 'Nuclear Umbrella' Against Iran

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2905392]On that I agree, but this does seem to paint the US into a corner for future decision making.[/QUOTE]

How so? Supporting allies militarily in the event of a nuclear attack isn't very a very new ideal to American policy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The USA should take a non interventionist approach to this situation. We are already bogged down in two wars that are costly enough.

Our economy is in a shambles. We just cannot continue to afford to defend Israel or any other nation with blank checks and give bailouts to whole industries

Our Mid East Policy is already twisted in a way that it is creating many more enemies than ever.

More sabre rattling is not easing any tensions over there

The War Party Rules

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2905437]How so? Supporting allies militarily in the event of a nuclear attack isn't very a very new ideal to American policy.[/QUOTE]

Why limit this to Israel?? Kuwait is also supposedly an allie. They are also threatened by a nuclear Iran. Why not extend this umbrella to Kuwait or other Mid East allies who also feel threatened by a nuclear Iran??

I have a feeling it has more to do with the influence groups like AIPAC have had over our president. Its not the first time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2905437]How so? Supporting allies militarily in the event of a nuclear attack isn't very a very new ideal to American policy.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I thought this pact was already an unspoken truth. No way do we let Israel or any of our other allies be attacked with a nuclear weapon and not respond in a similar fashion.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2905299]Hell, maybe we should just give every country on Earth nukes?

Clearly, attempting to limit who has then is yet another American Windmill Jousting Fools Errand. So why bother?[/QUOTE]
    What's the warfish plan for stopping them, Syria, north korea, etc..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2905447]Why limit this to Israel?? Kuwait is also supposedly an allie.[/QUOTE]

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure that the last time Kuwait was attacked, we went to war for them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2905471]Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure that the last time Kuwait was attacked, we went to war for them.[/QUOTE]

Call me crazy, but Israel already gets 20% of our total foreign aid and numerous sweetheart deals from our DOD that we dont extend to anyone else.

So fine, dont want to extend it to Kuwait, lets use the UAE as the example, why not extend it to them, who also fear a nuclear Iran ?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2905485]Call me crazy, but Israel already gets 20% of our total foreign aid and numerous sweetheart deals from our DOD that we dont extend to anyone else.

So fine, dont want to extend it to Kuwait, lets use the UAE as the example, why not extend it to them, who also fear a nuclear Iran ?[/QUOTE]

Kenny, your wild views on Iran have been made clear numerous times on this board. You don't consider them a threat, you don't think Israel should be provided with American protection, and you don't think that Iran's repeated stance on Israel is relevant to the need to possibly put Israel at the forefront of nuclear issues when it comes to matters concerning Iran. I get it, you don't need to explain them to me again.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2905427]Yes i view them both as equal in terms of who would use them offensively (both nations very unlikely to use them offensively, as the ramifications would be greatly detrimental to both). I dont trust the Israeli government anymore than i trust the Iranian.

The USA should not be agreeing to any pact to protect any nation against a nuclear attack.

I also dont think the USA has any right to prevent any nation from gaining nuclear weapons, especially since we have them. We could discourage them, we could provide incentives for them not to build them, if they build them we should encourage them to sign the nuclear non-proliferation treaty (which Israel refuses to do), but in the end we cant block squat[/QUOTE]

Well, that is what I expected you to say, and all I can say is that I disagree.

But you knew that.

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2905436]Warfish, let me ask you this.
    If Israel was to use its nuclear arsenal in a pre-emptive strike against Iran based on Israeli Intelligence that Iran was to strike firsty, then we find out the intelligence was wrong (as we did with Iraq), what would be the appropriate response by the USA and world community towards Israel??[/QUOTE]

Universal condemnation. Investigation into the failure. Depending on the outcome, the ever-popular "War Crimes" trials.

However, IMO the failure of intelligence would have to be more than the case of U.S./Iraq. But as you know, we disagree on what and how much of the U.S. intelligence was incorrect, and how much was not proven correct post-invastion, but was.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2905465]Exactly. I thought this pact was already an unspoken truth. No way do we let Israel or any of our other allies be attacked with a nuclear weapon and not respond in a similar fashion.[/QUOTE]

As previously stated, I really think Bush would have eventually said/done something drastically similar eventually. However I do respect the fact that Obama's coming out of the gate like this. Also, I'm a huge fan of his stance on resolving Indian/Pakistani conflicts and his stated position on Afghanistan...in terms of foreign policy I think he's really starting off on the right foot here.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;2905467]What's the warfish plan for stopping them, Syria, north korea, etc..[/QUOTE]

I don't have one.

On this topic, I simply have nothign constructive to offer as to "how".

With that said, I also do not feel comfortable with the future of human life on Earth, with these types of weapons in the hands of people I believe are far less logical and rational than Ken does, the Iran's and Koreas of this world.

All it takes is one.

One nation, often with power in the hands of one person, who decides to use it....and all of human kind could be destroyed. And some here want to trust that power to anyone, as long as they don't like us and don't like Israel.

Because, after all, we're the bad guys.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2905497]Kenny, your wild views on Iran have been made clear numerous times on this board. You don't consider them a threat, you don't think Israel should be provided with American protection, and you don't think that Iran's repeated stance on Israel is relevant to the need to possibly put Israel at the forefront of nuclear issues when it comes to matters concerning Iran. I get it, you don't need to explain them to me again.[/QUOTE]

No i dont. I think its pure fantasy to believe Iran poses any real military threat to Israel. Its like thinking a pop-warner football team can go in and beat an NFL team.

I also believe people who think Iran would be stupid enough to use Nukes against Israel or anyother country pre-emptively are nuts. People use to say the same thing about the Soviets , you know using nukes pre-emptively against the USA. We used to have fall out shelters and drills at school incase of a nuclear attack. It was real funny, in a stupid way.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2905354]

A nuclear Iran (whether that is going to happen or not) is as much a threat to Israel as it is to Saudi Arabia and other Sunni Arab countries. [/QUOTE]

And about the fact that the Iranian president has threatened to wipe Israel, and ONLY ISRAEL- off the map???

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2905515]

With that said, I also do not feel comfortable with the future of human life on Earth, with these types of weapons in the hands of people I believe are far less logical and rational than Ken does, the Iran's and Koreas of this world.

All it takes is one.[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2905507]Well, that is what I expected you to say, and all I can say is that I disagree.

But you knew that.

Universal condemnation. Investigation into the failure. Depending on the outcome, the ever-popular "War Crimes" trials.

However, IMO the failure of intelligence would have to be more than the case of U.S./Iraq. But as you know, we disagree on what and how much of the U.S. intelligence was incorrect, and how much was not proven correct post-invastion, but was.[/QUOTE]

So i take it if Iran pre-emptively struck Israel you would use the same tactics:rolleyes: Yeah right.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2905529]Bingo.[/QUOTE]

Fine, but i dont consider Israel (especially under a Likud government) to be logical and rational when it comes to dealing with Iran, the Palestinians, or any of its neighbors for that matter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JayTPenny;2905525]And about the fact that the Iranian president has threatened to wipe Israel, and ONLY ISRAEL- off the map???[/QUOTE]

A nuclear weapon would wipe everything within 1000 miles of Israel off the map. The bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki are far eclipsed by the nukes of today.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JayTPenny;2905525]And about the fact that the Iranian president has threatened to wipe Israel, and ONLY ISRAEL- off the map???[/QUOTE]

He never said that. Ive gone through this a million times, But people on this board refuse to acknowledge that.
    Oh, and Ahmedinejad does not have the final say, or any say for that matter regarding Iran attacking another country.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2905530]So i take it if Iran pre-emptively struck Israel you would use the same tactics:rolleyes: Yeah right.[/QUOTE]

No, I wouldn't.

I would destroy Iran for attacking our Ally, regardless of the reason.

Did you expect me to deny it? We both know I hold different views than you about how allies and enemy nations are to be treated. We both know I disagree strongly with your moral equivalency of Iran (a sworn enemy of the United States) and Israel (an ally, albeit one who leaches off us quite vampiricly).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hamburglar;2905536]A nuclear weapon would wipe everything within 1000 miles of Israel off the map. The bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki are far eclipsed by the nukes of today.[/QUOTE]

Still...clearly Israel has the MOST to lose.