Thread: Hamels calls Mets choke artists

Hamels calls Mets choke artists

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3763415

While I agree with him, I don't get why the Phillies the "World Champs" are so preoccupied with the Mets. The perception that the Phillies are these gritty fighters while the Mets are showboats is ridiculous, Victorino and Rollins "point to to the sky" and Victorino stands on the plate and claps for an hour. I'm glad as Evan Roberts put it the Phillies are the "police of etiquette". What a bunch of hypcrites, if you are champions act like it.

All League
    I don't see how this qualifies as preoccupation. The man was asked a question and he answered it.

All Pro
    The Mets are choke artists, but I completely agree, the Phillies fascination with the Mets is pretty ridiculous... You think they'd feel vindicated and be over it by now.

Hall Of Fame
    Unfortunately he's correct.

Hall Of Fame
    He's correct, but it's a dumb quote. I'm all about it, give the Mets more motivation.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    The Mets are choke artists, but I completely agree, the Phillies fascination with the Mets is pretty ridiculous... You think they'd feel vindicated and be over it by now.
    Seriously, it is beyond ridiculous at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Seriously, it is beyond ridiculous at this point.
    Exactly. A response such as "we won it all, the mets are insignificant" or "we won it all, no need to put another team down" would be more in line with what I'd expect from a Championship team.

“That’s sad… If we had a team say that about us – oh, no – they were gonna be in trouble… I mean, it would definitely be hard if, in the days us playing, if somebody said that, I mean, we’d have stuck one right in his neck. We’d be fighting. There’s no way any one would be allowed to disrespect us like that, and that is what has happened to the Phillies.”-Darryl Strawberry

JetsInsider.com Legend
    You all realize he was specifically asked if he thought the Mets were "choke artists?" This has nothing to do with a preoccupation. Once again, the media stirring the **** pot.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    You all realize he was specifically asked if he thought the Mets were "choke artists?" This has nothing to do with a preoccupation. Once again, the media stirring the **** pot.
    Its not just this one specific instance Jordy.

The Phillies are constantly mentioning the Mets and their players, thats what this is about.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Its not just this one specific instance Jordy.

The Phillies are constantly mentioning the Mets and their players, thats what this is about.
    I understand. But you have to admit that the media LOVES to stir this **** up. And they never pass up an opportunity.

Hall Of Fame
    Please, don't blame the media. The media's job is to stir the pot, it makes for a good story. The players job is not to take the bait. Hamels all-too-willingly obliged to the media pot-stirring. He could have avoided the question like any other athlete with class would have done.

Just like Rollins, Kalas, and Victorino all have gone out of their way to take shots at the Mets over the last couple months while they were supposed to be busy winning a championship. This team for whatever reason seems to have an obsession with the Mets, honestly, I find it kinda sad. You can't just be happy that you won a championship? You have to bring the Mets into this?

All Pro
    You all realize he was specifically asked if he thought the Mets were "choke artists?"
    And he was asked that specific questions while being interviewed on a New York radio station by two Mets fans.

There certainly is a preoccupation going on.

Banned
    My take.

-Truth hurts

-Joe and Evan fished him into saying it

-Should be bulletin board material for the Mets, but so was what Jimmy Rollins said in 2007.

All Pro
    The Mets have been flawed the last two years and over 162 game marathon a teams flaws and blemishes become apparent. If the Mets had the bullpen of F.Rod. & Putz during the 2007 season the Mets make the playoffs and the Phillies are watching the Mets. The moves the Mets made are excellent moves, but they do not guarantee anything because every year brings on new challenges.

Just listened to the interview. Yeah, this is a story about nothing. He was asked about it and said that the last two years they felt that and they will continue to until the Mets show them otherwise. He also said that 3 years ago they surely didn't. Absolutely non-story and he didn't say anything wrong at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Just listened to the interview. Yeah, this is a story about nothing. He was asked about it and said that the last two years they felt that and they will continue to until the Mets show them otherwise. He also said that 3 years ago they surely didn't. Absolutely non-story and he didn't say anything wrong at all.
    The question is if it was Papelbon would it be a non-story? And yeah, I think the whole Rollins is ok because he is pointing to the dugout thing is incredibly stupid. He's wrong there. On the chokers thing? He's 100 percent right

All League
    Nicole Hammels is creeping into my top 5 hated players list.

All League
    This stupid crap actually made the back of one of the papers today. I agree Hamels was baited into saying it but he did take the bait all too willingly. Unfortunately he spoke the complete and honest truth, this is on the team. The 2009 Mets need to go out there and change everyones minds.