Thread: Doug Marrone: New Syracuse Head Coach

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Doug Marrone: New Syracuse Head Coach

New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Doug Marrone has accepted the head coaching position at Syracuse and will be on campus for a news conference Friday, multiple sources told ESPN.com.
    Bennett: Good choice?

Marrone interviewed with Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross two weeks ago for the job that came open when Greg Robinson was fired.

Marrone has deep ties to Syracuse. He was a three-year letterman in the 1980s and returned to finish his degree in 1991.

Marrone joined the Saints when coach Sean Payton took over in 2006. In that season, New Orleans' offense was ranked No. 1 in the league for the first time in franchise history. This season, the New Orleans passing game has ranked near the top of the NFL.

Marrone, who played briefly in the NFL, was an assistant for the New York Jets from 2002 through 2005. He was an assistant at several college programs, including Georgia and Georgia Tech, before that.
    I honestly don't remember his name with the Jets at all. I want to see the money. My guess- 5/6 years at $8/10M tops.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way he's getting the reported offer to Holtz-12 mil over 5 years. I bet your numbers are more in line.

Kinda strange to bring in another unknown value after the Robinson hire-one under similar circumstances.

I'm real curious about his recruitment ties, and the coaching staff he's planning to bring on board.

Anybody see the juco QB transfer Garret Barnas play? Not expecting much, but at least worth a look.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    I honestly don't remember his name with the Jets at all. I want to see the money. My guess- 5/6 years at $8/10M tops.
    OL coach under Herm

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    well i hope no he has to be better than robinson....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    No way he's getting the reported offer to Holtz-12 mil over 5 years. I bet your numbers are more in line.

Kinda strange to bring in another unknown value after the Robinson hire-one under similar circumstances.

I'm real curious about his recruitment ties, and the coaching staff he's planning to bring on board.

Anybody see the juco QB transfer Garret Barnas play? Not expecting much, but at least worth a look.
    Can't hold anything against him because I don't know much about him, besides what I've read. But I feel the same way. Robinson was the NFL coordinator brought in to run a college program and he failed. Biggest downfall-- RECRUITING.

I was really hoping for Holtz and even Gill, as they understand how to build (and turn around, for that matter) a college program. Marrone can probably coach and scheme well, but the big question mark is can he recruit? May we hope to God that we don't repeat the Robinson mistake.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't hold anything against the guy. I'm just more curious than anything, as I've never heard of the guy before(or I forgot about him). The more I hear about him, the more I like the pick. Of course, that assumes what I'm hearing about him is true, and he can make good on his claims.

He claims he's maintained recruiting ties in the NY metro area, and claims he's been preparing for this job for many years. He addresses the recruitment question in his introduction. If what he says is true, this alone should put him much farther ahead than G-Rob when he arrived.

I like that the guy already came prepared to the interview with a plan already in place.

Here's the intro presser if you haven't seen it. He comes on at about 4:40:

http://videos.syracuse.com/post-stan...ew_su_foo.html

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Marrone will be an awesome head coach

I remember Marrone very well from his days
    as Herm's offensive line coach.

Professionalism and accountability, along with
    dedication, I remember thinking that this guy
    is going to be a head coach in the NFL someday,
    Payton is an offensive coach, so its hard to
    judge his skills as a coordinator, I think
    he will do well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't hold anything against the guy. I'm just more curious than anything, as I've never heard of the guy before(or I forgot about him). The more I hear about him, the more I like the pick. Of course, that assumes what I'm hearing about him is true, and he can make good on his claims.

He claims he's maintained recruiting ties in the NY metro area, and claims he's been preparing for this job for many years. He addresses the recruitment question in his introduction. If what he says is true, this alone should put him much farther ahead than G-Rob when he arrived.

I like that the guy already came prepared to the interview with a plan already in place.

Here's the intro presser if you haven't seen it. He comes on at about 4:40:

http://videos.syracuse.com/post-stan...ew_su_foo.html
    nice thanks for the link....I love where he says that all his coaches will have NY ties or at least northeast ties it gooes along way in recruiting........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arthur Jones is returning for his senior season and Mike Williams has re-enrolled to play this year. Williams was outstanding last year. Instantly the best players on either side of the ball.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.syracuse.com/today/index....k_to_visi.html

Oklahoma's David Oku to visit SU.

Wow...not saying he'll sign here, but to even get the visit would indicate things are getting much better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.syracuse.com/today/index....k_to_visi.html

Oklahoma's David Oku to visit SU.

Wow...not saying he'll sign here, but to even get the visit would indicate things are getting much better.
    Hats off to Marrone to get him here spur of the moment, and certainly very late in the process as he has already given a verbal commitment to Tennessee. 3% chance he signs here, but a step in the right direction.