Thread: Ibanez, Phillies agree to 3-year, $30M deal

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Ibanez, Phillies agree to 3-year, $30M deal

As a Met fan I don't like this--Great p/u for the Phills.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3764268

The Phillies have agreed to a three-year contract with free-agent outfielder Raul Ibanez, pending a physical. The deal is believed to be worth $30 million over three years.

The 36-year-old Ibanez will become the Phillies' new everyday leftfielder, and his signing means the Phillies no longer will pursue their longtime leftfielder, Pat Burrell, who is also a free agent.

Ibanez had drawn significant interest from a number of teams, including the Cubs, Mets, Angels and Braves. But he had been sending signals through friends that the Phillies were his first choice.

And the Phillies stepped up their efforts to sign him Thursday after it became known that the Angels also were negotiating the parameters of a deal with Ibanez as their No. 1 alternative if they lost out in efforts to sign Mark Teixeira.

Ibanez, who turns 37 next June, has spent the past five seasons with the Mariners, where he was a longtime favorite of Pat Gillick, then the Mariners' GM and now the outgoing Phillies GM.

Ibanez hit .293 this season, with 23 homers, 110 RBIs, a .358 on-base percentage and a .472 slugging percentage. He is one of just five outfielders who have driven in at least 100 runs in each of the past three seasons. The others: Carlos Beltran, Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee and Bobby Abreu.

Hall Of Fame
    ok 10 million dollars a year for a JAG LF? they can have him....the mets main focus should be bringing back Ollie and gods willing signing Manny.

All League
    Well we need a starter first and foremost but I wouldnt have minded Ibanez, although 10 is high and he is getting pretty old...either way no big deal.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    ok 10 million dollars a year for a JAG LF? they can have him....the mets main focus should be bringing back Ollie and gods willing signing Manny.
    HELL NO to manny

Hall Of Fame
    Didn't really want Ibanez anyways.

1) I'm not convinced he's all that much better then the Mets Internal Options (Some combination of Church, Murphy, Tatis and Evans, mainly the first two. F-Mart if we get desperate and he's looking good).

2) He's 36 going on 37. You really want to be paying him 10 per on the back end of that contract? Me neither.

Pitching, Pitching, Pitching, Second Base, Pitching should be our priority list.