Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Franken V Reagan

Franken V Reagan

Now that it is more than likely that Al Franken will be the next Senator from Minnesota...

[url]http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/11/09/ruling-helps-franken-in-tight-minnesota-senate-race/[/url]

and

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/12/franken-wins-major-victor_n_150560.html[/url]

Why is it that Conservatives should be any more enraged by him and his comedy career than people were about B-film actor and monkey side-kick Ronald Reagan? Not to mention juice-head Governor Schwartzenegger...

Granted Reagan was initially a liberal laughing stock, but that faded in the public's mind after his time as California governor. I wonder if the same will happen with Franken.

I'm confused.

What point are you trying to make here? Franken will go on to President? Or is this just an excuse to praise Franken's glory and bash Reagan?

What a **** thread.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2907625]I'm confused.

What point are you trying to make here? Franken will go on to President? Or is this just an excuse to praise Franken's glory and bash Reagan?

What a **** thread.[/QUOTE]

I've been hearing a lot of talk that the idea of Franken in the Senate is far beyond the pale. Please explain to me why anyone should be more upset that Franken might be a Senator when Ronald Reagan --according to many -- was able to serve with distinction as both Governor and President.

What a ***** response!

[QUOTE=fukushimajin;2907636]I've been hearing a lot of talk that the idea of Franken in the Senate is far beyond the pale. Please explain to me why anyone should be more upset that Franken might be a Senator when Ronald Reagan --according to many -- was able to serve with distinction as both Governor and President.

What a ***** response![/QUOTE]

Well, I think a direct comparison of Franken and Reagan is ridiculous and stupid.

Your only point is that one was a comedian and the other was a B-list actor. Thus, they are exactly the same? They have the same goals, ambitions, and talents?

Franken spent a good portion of his career mocking the very industry in which he will now serve. Meanwhile, Reagan had always had political aspirations, beginning with him serving on the board for the actor's union, and moving on to campaigning for Goldwater in 1962.

I think because of his career, less people are willing to take Franken seriously.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2907654]Well, I think a direct comparison of Franken and Reagan is ridiculous and stupid.

Your only point is that one was a comedian and the other was a B-list actor. Thus, they are exactly the same? They have the same goals, ambitions, and talents?

Franken spent a good portion of his career mocking the very industry in which he will now serve. Meanwhile, Reagan had always had political aspirations, beginning with him serving on the board for the actor's union, and moving on to campaigning for Goldwater in 1962.

I think because of his career, less people are willing to take Franken seriously.[/QUOTE]

Ronald Reagan starred in films opposite a chimp -- every bit as ridiculous as Franken's schtick. Franken has a degree in political science from Harvard -- an undergrad degree -- not a B.S. graduate degree. He has also been politically involved through much of his career,publishing his first political book in 1995 -- 13 years before running for the Senate. Also, his humor has had a political focus -- why should that count against him? To me it just says he's interested.

[QUOTE=fukushimajin;2907672]Ronald Reagan starred in films opposite a chimp -- every bit as ridiculous as Franken's schtick. [/QUOTE]

So did Clint Eastwood. Was his career ridiculous too?

I'm pretty sure this thread is just a veiled attempt to celebrate Franken's win while bashing Reagan at the same time. Good job. :rolleyes:

Btw, why is a graduate degree a "B.S." degree, when compared to an undergraduate degree from Harvard? I didn't even understand that sentence.
    Last edited by JetsFan2012; 12-12-2008 at 03:18 PM.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2907691]So did Clint Eastwood. Was his career ridiculous too?

I'm pretty sure this thread is just a veiled attempt to celebrate Franken's win while bashing Reagan at the same time. Good job. :rolleyes:

Btw, why is a graduate degree a "B.S." degree, when compared to an undergraduate degree from Harvard? I didn't even understand that sentence.[/QUOTE]

So what if I am doing a little of that -- virtually every other thread on here is some form of "stirring up an issue" -- it's not like my agenda is a secret. Yes, I think there is essentially no difference between the non-academic credentials of Franken and Reagan at the same point in their lives. I was trying to see if there was a legit way to see it different. So far...bupkus.

FYI
    A graduate degree from Harvard with the exception of the Medical School, the Business School and the Law School are neither difficult to get into nor difficult to pass. Universities often use the Graduate programs as a way to generate revenue -- the real prestige comes from the undergraduate program and the elite law, medical and to a lesser extent business schools.

Jets Insider VIP
    paulie, I don't even know why you bothered responding to this thread. it might be the worst one of the month.

[QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2907722]paulie, I don't even know why you bothered responding to this thread. it might be the worst one of the month.[/QUOTE]

Worse that Caylee Anthony? :zzz:

[QUOTE=fukushimajin;2907712]So what if I am doing a little of that -- virtually every other thread on here is some form of "stirring up an issue" -- it's not like my agenda is a secret. Yes, I think there is essentially no difference between the non-academic credentials of Franken and Reagan at the same point in their lives. I was trying to see if there was a legit way to see it different. So far...bupkus.

FYI
    A graduate degree from Harvard with the exception of the Medical School, the Business School and the Law School are neither difficult to get into nor difficult to pass. Universities often use the Graduate programs as a way to generate revenue -- the real prestige comes from the undergraduate program and the elite law, medical and to a lesser extent business schools.[/QUOTE]

If you honestly think that Franken has the same potential right now as Reagan did after being elected Governor, fine, whatever. I wasn't alive back then, so I can't really grasp the the public reception to Reagan at that time and thus make an accurate comparison.

Regarding your comment about graduate degrees, I don't know the validity behind this opinion but it doesn't sound accurate at all. Tell that to companies who won't hire for a specific position without seeing a graduate degree on a resume. Nowadays, a undergrad diploma is on the same level as what a high school diploma was in the 70s. Nearly everyone had them, and if you didn't, you weren't screwed but you wouldn't necessarily get the real desirable jobs.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2907736]If you honestly think that Franken has the same potential right now as Reagan did after being elected Governor, fine, whatever. I wasn't alive back then, so I can't really grasp the the public reception to Reagan at that time and thus make an accurate comparison.

Regarding your comment about graduate degrees, I don't know the validity behind this opinion but it doesn't sound accurate at all. Tell that to companies who won't hire for a specific position without seeing a graduate degree on a resume. Nowadays, a undergrad diploma is on the same level as what a high school diploma was in the 70s. Nearly everyone had them, and if you didn't, you weren't screwed but you wouldn't necessarily get the real desirable jobs.[/QUOTE]

Oh -- I definitely don't think Franken has any more potential than the Senate. This is it for him. He'll have to conduct himself brilliantly to even be re-elected (assuming he gets there at all). My only point is that it is no more ridiculous for him to be elected than Ronald Reagan, Arnold or J.D. Hayworth and its slightly less ridiculous than Jesse The Body.

On Graduate schools -- places like Harvard, Yale and Columbia maintain unbelievably high standards for their undergraduate programs (which are very small) and their elite (law med bus) schools. People are willing to pay the premium for the graduate programs precisely because of that reputation. The Universities do very well on the deal.

[QUOTE=fukushimajin;2907751]Oh -- [B]I definitely don't think Franken has any more potential than the Senate. This is it for him. He'll have to conduct himself brilliantly to even be re-elected (assuming he gets there at all).[/B] My only point is that it is no more ridiculous for him to be elected than Ronald Reagan, Arnold or J.D. Hayworth and its slightly less ridiculous than Jesse The Body.[/QUOTE]

Then, I have to ask again, what was the point of directly comparing him to Reagan, if you know he has absolutely no chance of achieving similar distinction?

[QUOTE] On Graduate schools -- places like Harvard, Yale and Columbia maintain unbelievably high standards for their undergraduate programs (which are very small) and their elite (law med bus) schools. People are willing to pay the premium for the graduate programs precisely because of that reputation. The Universities do very well on the deal.[/QUOTE]

The way you previously worded made it sound like graduate degrees were worthless. Ironic, considering you posted your entire academic resume not two weeks ago in trying to demonstrate your expertise on a subject.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2907722]paulie, I don't even know why you bothered responding to this thread. it might be the worst one of the month.[/QUOTE]

Very true. It is also obvious the thread starter never listened to recordings of any of his speeches while he was working for GE.

Has a political thread ever been moved to the dump?

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2907800]Very true. It is also obvious the thread starter never listened to recordings of any of his speeches while he was working for GE.

[/QUOTE]

Oooh, good point. I forgot about that.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2907654]Well, I think a direct comparison of Franken and Reagan is ridiculous and stupid.

[B]Franken spent a good portion of his career mocking the very industry in which he will now serve.[/B] Meanwhile, Reagan had always had political aspirations, beginning with him serving on the board for the actor's union, and moving on to campaigning for Goldwater in 1962.

I think because of his career, less people are willing to take Franken seriously.[/QUOTE]
    To be fair (and this is really a semantical answer, but whatever), his targets have really been the right-wing media and the Bush administration. He's spoken very, very highly of the Clinton administration for a while now. So I wouldn't necessarily say he's ripped the entire concept of government endlessly.

I'm not that big a fan of his, but I did read [I]Lies...[/I] and it was actually very funny. He has one particular encounter with O'Reilly that's just outright hilarious no matter what your political views are.

Nevertheless, I have complete respect for anyone who complains that much and eventually decides to put their money where their mouth is. He's so ridiculously liberal though that unless he were to shift some views, the highest executive office he'd most likely achieve would be Gov of Minn and I can't see him ever getting serious Presidential consideration. Especially considering the fact that he's Jewish. No chance.

Also, the Reagan comparison is just outright ridiculous.

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2907902]To be fair (and this is really a semantical answer, but whatever), his targets have really been the right-wing media and the Bush administration. [/QUOTE]

So has Jon Stewart, and every other reasonably successful comedian in the past 8 years. None of those guys ran for public office.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2907941]So has Jon Stewart, and every other reasonably successful comedian in the past 8 years. That's no reason to run for public office.[/QUOTE]
    So stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote, and comedians shouldn't be allowed to run for public office. Got it. Any other restrictions that will be enforced once Paulieland is established?

[QUOTE=fukushimajin;2907608]Now that it is more than likely that Al Franken will be the next Senator from Minnesota...

[url]http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/11/09/ruling-helps-franken-in-tight-minnesota-senate-race/[/url]

and

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/12/franken-wins-major-victor_n_150560.html[/url]

Why is it that Conservatives should be any more enraged by him and his comedy career than people were about B-film actor and monkey side-kick Ronald Reagan? Not to mention juice-head Governor Schwartzenegger...

Granted Reagan was initially a liberal laughing stock, but that faded in the public's mind after his time as California governor. I wonder if the same will happen with Franken.[/QUOTE]

Any issue I may have with Al Fraken has nothing to do with his Hollywood career.

Franken lost the election 3 times already, but the poor little rich boy will try and buy the election along with the rest DFL scumbags!

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2907953]So stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote, and comedians shouldn't be allowed to run for public office. Got it. Any other restrictions that will be enforced once Paulieland is established?[/QUOTE]

I'm drafting the Constitution as we speak.