Thread: K-Rod to NL East foes: Mets are 'team to beat'

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

K-Rod to NL East foes: Mets are 'team to beat'

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3767033

K-Rod says Mets will win NL East next year

NEW YORK -- Francisco Rodriguez has a message for the Philadelphia Phillies and the rest of the NL East.

"Of course, we're going to try to win the division. Of course, we're going to be the front-runner. Of course, we're going to be the team to beat," he said Saturday.

Four days after agreeing to a $37 million, three-year contract, K-Rod was confident the Mets will put consecutive September collapses behind them and overtake the World Series champion Phillies in ruling the NL East.

"I don't want there to be a controversy or the other ballclubs in that division to take it personally or take it in a bad way," he said. "If they ask me, 'Oh, which ballclub is going to win the National League East?' It's going to be the Mets. Easy question."

In 2007 and 2008, the Mets treated their fans much the same way Lucy dealt with Charlie Brown trying to kick a football: They promised everything would be different this time only to yank the ball away at the end. September leads evaporated, and they were eliminated on the last day of the regular season.

On Thursday, Phillies ace Cole Hamels took a shot at the Mets.

"For the past two years they've been choke artists," he said on WFAN radio.

Philadelphia's Jimmy Rollins began the verbal sparring before the 2007 when he said the Phillies were the team to beat in the division -- even though the Mets came within one win of reaching the World Series the previous year.

"Everybody knows what happened, unfortunately. They didn't get the job done. Unfortunately, you know, it happens," Rodriguez said Saturday from Venezuela during a conference call. "We cannot be living with the past. We've just have to get that behind us and get focused."

In a span of four days, the Mets reached a $37 million, three-year deal with K-Rod, acquired J.J. Putz from Seattle and exiled three of the guilty, trading Aaron Heilman, Joe Smith and Scott Schoeneweis. The Mets want to forget a season in which they blew 29 of 72 save chances.

Rodriguez saved a major league record 62 games for the Los Angeles Angels last season and says he's ready for a changed atmosphere at Citi Field. He was animated with the Angels, and is looking forward to the energy of the Mets' fans. He wants to earn their respect.

"New York's atmosphere is totally different. The fans are really passionate," he said. "A lot of players like to be on that stage. I'm the kind of guy that likes to be on the big stage."

He's not used to charged-up fans at home.

"In Anaheim, they're more calm," he said. "They're really relaxed when they're watching the game."

Already a three-time All-Star, Rodriguez turns 27 next month. He claimed his drop in velocity last season was caused by his development of a changeup. He tried to throw all his pitches at the same arm speed.

K-Rod thinks his velocity will be back up next year.

"People, they're looking at velocity and not worried about what I've done," he said. "To me it's not a concern. It's not something that I really worry about right now."

He joins fellow Venezuelan Johan Santana on the Mets, and can sense the excitement when "walking the street, going to the mall, doing groceries."

At a dinner with the Mets last Sunday night, he spoke with Santana, who had called team executive Tony Bernazard.

"They told me all the best things of New York and some of the bad things, too," he said. "Like I say, he gave me a little advice."

All League
    another quote taken out of context to stir $hit up. He was saying that if he was on a team he would obviously say they were going to succeed.

Enough with this team to beat crap, it never works out for the Mets.

All League
    I just heard this on the local news. So glad someone on the Mets has the balls to respond to these jackass phillies !!

We are the frontrunners. We are the favorites to win the NL East even though those chumps won the WS.

How's that for a slap in the face and to enhance their Big Brother complex.

The Phillies better get ready to get KO'd by K-Rod

All League
    The rest of the NL east already hates the Mets and admits to playing harder vs them. I don't think they could get already more hated even with this quote.

Hall Of Fame
    Yeah, another quote taken out of context if you listen to the interview.

I'd rather not get into a war of words with them, do our talking on the field for once.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    I just heard this on the local news. So glad someone on the Mets has the balls to respond to these jackass phillies !!

We are the frontrunners. We are the favorites to win the NL East even though those chumps won the WS.

The Phillies are the team to beat until someone else beats them. End of story.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post

Beltran "had the balls to respond" last season, it was so effective.. the Phillies won the division, and World Series.

Veteran
    ****ing hate writers. That quote was taking out of contex. Guess krod is getting a warm welcome by the press already

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    The rest of the NL east already hates the Mets and admits to playing harder vs them. I don't think they could get already more hated even with this quote.
    Who cares that the rest of the division hates the Mets. Everyone hated them in 86 too, didn't really matter. The best teams will win like em or hate em.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    The Phillies are the team to beat until someone else beats them. End of story.
    You could make a case for the Mets since they plugged their biggest weakness with two massive upgrades

Hall Of Fame
    For the record, here's the actual (full) quote.

The Phillies have talked a lot of trash about the Mets. They are the division champions and World Series champions. How much do you look forward to joining that rivalry and perhaps winning the division so the Phillies can’t talk anymore?
    That question is kind of difficult, but at the same time easy to answer. Difficult because the last two years I have not been there. I have not lived that experience with that rivalry. The easy part is of course we’re going to try to win division. Of course we’re going to try to be front runner. Of course we’re going to try to be the team to beat. I don’t want this to be a controversy. Or have another ball club in that division to take it personally. I’m a really competitive guy. I like to win. But of course, when they ask me who is going to win the National League East it’s an easy question. It’s going to be the Mets. Easy question.

http://mets.lohudblogs.com/2008/12/1...ser/#more-7420

It's nice to see the media can change quotes to suit whatever story they want it to though.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Who cares that the rest of the division hates the Mets. Everyone hated them in 86 too, didn't really matter. The best teams will win like em or hate em.
    It does matter. The Phillies were a hair better than the Mets. 2 games worse, and they wouldn't have made the playoffs. If teams like Florida, Washington, and the Braves after they were eliminated tried a little harder just to shut the Mets up... That could very easily account for the wins that cost the Mets the playoffs, and possibly the World Series.

Atlanta, Washington and Florida all took 2 games from the Mets in series... In September, AFTER being eliminated. What if those 3 teams didn't give a **** during those games, like they didn't when they played the Phillies?

It does matter if you are liked or not. If you make the playoffs, barely, you can win it all. There are so many examples... And caring about winning a game is half the battle towards winning it. Some of those teams shouldn't have cared about beating the Mets, and thus should have been at a disadvantage in those late August/September series...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    For the record, here's the actual (full) quote.

The Phillies have talked a lot of trash about the Mets. They are the division champions and World Series champions. How much do you look forward to joining that rivalry and perhaps winning the division so the Phillies canít talk anymore?
    That question is kind of difficult, but at the same time easy to answer. Difficult because the last two years I have not been there. I have not lived that experience with that rivalry. The easy part is of course weíre going to try to win division. Of course weíre going to try to be front runner. Of course weíre going to try to be the team to beat. I donít want this to be a controversy. Or have another ball club in that division to take it personally. Iím a really competitive guy. I like to win. But of course, when they ask me who is going to win the National League East itís an easy question. Itís going to be the Mets. Easy question.

http://mets.lohudblogs.com/2008/12/1...ser/#more-7420

It's nice to see the media can change quotes to suit whatever story they want it to though.
    It sucks, and K-rod really did nothing wrong, but that's just how the NY media sells paper. He's just going to learn not to say anything remotely interesting (a la Jeter) because they'll just pounce. He actually said all the right things, but they still twisted it out.

Hall Of Fame
    It does matter. The Phillies were a hair better than the Mets. 2 games worse, and they wouldn't have made the playoffs. If teams like Florida, Washington, and the Braves after they were eliminated tried a little harder just to shut the Mets up... That could very easily account for the wins that cost the Mets the playoffs, and possibly the World Series.

Atlanta, Washington and Florida all took 2 games from the Mets in series... In September, AFTER being eliminated. What if those 3 teams didn't give a **** during those games, like they didn't when they played the Phillies?

It does matter if you are liked or not. If you make the playoffs, barely, you can win it all. There are so many examples... And caring about winning a game is half the battle towards winning it. Some of those teams shouldn't have cared about beating the Mets, and thus should have been at a disadvantage in those late August/September series...
    Sure, but you're ignoring the reality that these teams will hate us regardless, simply because we are from New York.

All the lines about celebrating are just excuses to hate us over, when in reality players like Shane Victorino do things that are just as bad on a daily basis, yet nobody says a word about that.

Hall Of Fame

If the Mets bullpen wasn't dogsh*t, hate wouldn't have mattered. They would have cruised to the division.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound View Post
    You could make a case for the Mets since they plugged their biggest weakness with two massive upgrades
    No, until the Phillies are no longer the World Champions, they are the team to beat.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    No, until the Phillies are no longer the World Champions, they are the team to beat.
    I disagree - you could make a reasonable case. Especially since Utley is hurt and the Mets addressed their biggest weakness. It's not as if the Mets were so behind the Phillies even with a crappy bullpen.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound View Post
    I disagree - you could make a reasonable case. Especially since Utley is hurt and the Mets addressed their biggest weakness. It's not as if the Mets were so behind the Phillies even with a crappy bullpen.
    Incorrect. The Mets are still the Mets.