Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Oliver Perez

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shaolin
    Posts
    6,538

    Oliver Perez

    Am i the only Met fan that wants him back?

    Whats it gonna take to resign him?

    Think Omar & Co. want to resign him?

    Predictions?

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    While I would like him back, he's not my first choice. I prefer Derek Lowe, as long as he doesn't get too unreasonable with his demands, of course. Perez is second on my wish list, I think it'll take something like 4/52 to get a deal done there.

    I get the feeling Minaya has similar plans...

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shaolin
    Posts
    6,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    While I would like him back, he's not my first choice. I prefer Derek Lowe, as long as he doesn't get too unreasonable with his demands, of course. Perez is second on my wish list, I think it'll take something like 4/52 to get a deal done there.

    I get the feeling Minaya has similar plans...
    I dunno, im just not feelin Lowe for some reason. I really rather have Ollie back. If not ollie i would take a shot with Sheets, then i would go for Lowe. I also would take a flyer on Capuano

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,114
    I want Ollie back no questions asked. The guy is a young, lefty....and he is money in the big games. I would go up to about 10mil a year for Ollie....but not "Burnett Money".

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shaolin
    Posts
    6,538
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    I want Ollie back no questions asked. The guy is a young, lefty....and he is money in the big games. I would go up to about 10mil a year for Ollie....but not "Burnett Money".
    i think anyone would take ollie for 4/40 but i dont think thats happening. Probably gonna end up at somethin like 4/48-4/52

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post
    I dunno, im just not feelin Lowe for some reason. I really rather have Ollie back. If not ollie i would take a shot with Sheets, then i would go for Lowe. I also would take a flyer on Capuano
    I really like Lowe, 4 straight years of an ERA in the 3's, a safe bet for 200+ Innings, never been on the DL, Big Market Experianced, and works off a sinker which frankly would be effective at 87 mph (Although hopefully it's quite some time until that's what he's throwing). I have absolutely no problem giving him 3 years, 4 years I'm a little iffy on but I'd probably do as well.

    Perez offers alot of good as K-Met has touched on, but lets not forget that because of his erratic style he doesn't really eat innings and he can absolutely kill the bullpen on those games where he gets pulled after 3. Lowe brings consistancy. Also you want to talk about big game pedigree? Lowe has a 3.33 ERA in 21 Postseason Games (10 Starts), including a 3.48 ERA in 2 starts against Philly last postseason.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,805
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    I want Ollie back no questions asked. The guy is a young, lefty....and he is money in the big games. I would go up to about 10mil a year for Ollie....but not "Burnett Money".
    I agrree with you.

    The Phils are the team we must recon with and since they added Ibanez we need more left handed pitching.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I really like Lowe, 4 straight years of an ERA in the 3's, a safe bet for 200+ Innings, never been on the DL, Big Market Experianced, and works off a sinker which frankly would be effective at 87 mph (Although hopefully it's quite some time until that's what he's throwing). I have absolutely no problem giving him 3 years, 4 years I'm a little iffy on but I'd probably do as well.

    Perez offers alot of good as K-Met has touched on, but lets not forget that because of his erratic style he doesn't really eat innings and he can absolutely kill the bullpen on those games where he gets pulled after 3. Lowe brings consistancy. Also you want to talk about big game pedigree? Lowe has a 3.33 ERA in 21 Postseason Games (10 Starts), including a 3.48 ERA in 2 starts against Philly last postseason.
    when comparing Lowe and Perez, the deciding factor for me is age and upside....Perez has elevated his game in the last 2 years and i expect him to keep getting better. Don't get me wrong Lowe has been good for a long time but i am just not crazy about throwing 4 years 50 millions dollars at a 35 year old guy who couldn't cut it in the AL anymore.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I agrree with you.

    The Phils are the team we must recon with and since they added Ibanez we need more left handed pitching.
    The Phillies account for only 11% of our games.

    We need to focus on building a good team, not just a team that will beat the Phillies.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    The Phillies account for only 11% of our games.

    We need to focus on building a good team, not just a team that will beat the Phillies.
    i am not ready to build my team around beating the Phills....call me crazy but they still don't scare me.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    when comparing Lowe and Perez, the deciding factor for me is age and upside....Perez has elevated his game in the last 2 years and i expect him to keep getting better. Don't get me wrong Lowe has been good for a long time but i am just not crazy about throwing 4 years 50 millions dollars at a 35 year old guy who couldn't cut it in the AL anymore.
    Upside only gets you so far, and Perez will never reach his unless he stops walking 100 batters a season.....and Lowe's age doesn't bother me much when he's never been on the DL and has the arsenal to succeed even if he loses a little bit.

    And Other then a bad contract year, Lowe was very good in the AL. This idea that he couldn't cut it in the AL is ridiculous.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Upside only gets you so far, and Perez will never reach his unless he stops walking 100 batters a season.....and Lowe's age doesn't bother me much when he's never been on the DL and has the arsenal to succeed even if he loses a little bit.

    And Other then a bad contract year, Lowe was very good in the AL. This idea that he couldn't cut it in the AL is ridiculous.
    his last 2 years in the AL his ERA was 5(average) and whip was 1.5 (also average) and that was 5 years ago.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,240
    Lowe would be a great addition....but 4 years....eh

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lindenhurst NY
    Posts
    1,917
    Id love gim back. id say about 12 million a year.

  15. #15
    Personally, I think he's overrated and I would stay away from him. Of course, you need someone for that rotation though, and Lowe is going to be quite expensive.

    Before the offseason, I suggested the Mets go hard after Burnett given that I thought, especially in the NL, he'd be a #1 if he stays healthy.

    I'd say that if my choices for the Mets were Perez and Wolf OR Lowe and Niese, I'd probably take the latter. Of course, I have to wonder if Wilpon doesn't want to spend money given his rumored $300M+ loss, and the Mets will just try to go on the cheap and only sign Wolf.

  16. #16
    Here's Neyer's take on Perez - or really, his take on Boras' "book" on Perez.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...name=Neyer_Rob

    I know I addressed this topic last month, but Oliver Perez is still out there looking for a job and Oliver Perez's agent is still out there looking for a huge contract. So, I'd like to revisit his agent's arguments, via Craig Brown's piece in the Hardball Times:

    Perez is represented by Scott Boras. (Seriously, when is Boras going to represent internet baseball writers?) So it should come as no surprise that Perez is reportedly seeking a five-year deal worth around $70 million. By comparison, previous members of the second-tier club earned much less. Meche signed a five-year, $55 million deal and Lilly was inked to a four-year, $40 million package. Lohse (also represented by Boras) couldn't find a buyer last winter and signed a bargain basement deal at $4.25 million for one year with the Cardinals. Apparently, St. Louis liked his production, so they extended him to four years at a total of $41 million last September.

    Since Boras is involved, teams that are interested in signing the lefty can expect to get a spiffy binder showcasing his talents. Obviously, the purpose of the binder is to sell the player to the prospective team, so it takes a little digging to get to past the sales job to find the truth. The New York Times "Bats" blog actually got their mitts on the presentation package for Perez.

    According to the Times, the binder contains eight chapters extolling the virtues of Perez. Let's take a look at a few of those claims and see if they hold any truth.

    Summarizing those claims and Brown's analysis:

    1. Perez is durable: True.

    2. Perez is an innings eater: False, but not grossly exaggerated.

    3. Perez's career to this point is similar to Sandy Koufax's: Outrageous.

    4. Perez is one of the five best left-handed pitchers in the majors: Absurd.

    Craig Brown doesn't address this, but another of the chapters is titled, "Dominates on the Biggest Stage." I don't have the binder, so I can't say exactly what that means. The biggest stage might be the World Series, except it can't be that because Perez has never pitched in a World Series. It might be postseason baseball in general, except it's probably not that because Perez has pitched in only two postseason games, and while he pitched well in one of those games, he didn't pitch well at all in the other. The biggest stage might be New York, except Perez's performance since joining the Mets has been merely good (if certainly better than his pre-Mets performance).

    Scott Boras employs plenty of whip-smart people, and I always wonder how they feel about putting together these binders that are loaded with lousy analysis and specious claims. I don't mean to suggest that it's morally wrong. It just seems like a strange way to spend one's days.

    As for Perez, did you know he's spent his entire career pitching half his games in pitcher-friendly ballparks? He joined the Padres as a rookie in 2002, their last season in Qualcomm Stadium, an excellent park for pitchers. Perez pitched poorly for the Padres in 2003, and in late August was traded (with Jason Bay) to the Pirates for Brian Giles. Pittsburgh's PNC Park is also a friendly place for pitchers. Perez pitched poorly for the Pirates in 2005 and 2006, and in late July '06 was traded to the Mets. New York's Shea Stadium, year in and year out, has been a pitcher's park.

    Perez's career ERA when pitching at home is 4.12. Not Sandy Koufax, perhaps. But in today's environment, not bad. His ERA in road games, though? 4.70, which really is bad. Or close to bad. There's a reason you haven't heard much this month about Perez signing a big contract: teams are getting smarter. Those binders that Scott Boras so carefully compiles? I don't think they're meant to convince the teams. I think they're meant to convince the players that Boras is earning his commission.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,114
    3. Perez's career to this point is similar to Sandy Koufax's: Outrageous.
    lol this guy is going to get poor Ollie laughed out of the room. The mets are doing the right thing, they are going to wait and see if Ollie signed a normal deal once he feels out the market...if not adios amigo.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Groton
    Posts
    2,855
    Lowe is not worth 4/5 years at 16+M a year

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wish I Knew
    Posts
    4,005
    I want him back, but not for the money he wants. If 5/70 is what it takes then I would rather pony up an extra 5 or 10 million and grab Lowe.

    But me thinks nobody would even come close to the 5/70 demand besides the us, and even then I don't think we would do that even if we were desperate.

    Personally, I think we need Lowe.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,850
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    I want Ollie back no questions asked. The guy is a young, lefty....and he is money in the big games. I would go up to about 10mil a year for Ollie....but not "Burnett Money".
    He has pitched some big games. I was at Shea that last day and watched him pitch a very average game. I'd love him back, but I'll take Lowe first. Either would be awesome though. Then throw in Randy Wolf as the fifth starter and you're good.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us