Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Rotations in Baseball [On paper]

Banned

Best Rotations in Baseball [On paper]

Obviously this is subject to change, being that Peavy is on the trading block and some decent pitchers are still FA, but currently on paper are these the top 5 rotations in baseball? This is in no particular order.

Yankees:
    Sabathia
    Wang
    Burnett
    Chamberlain
    Pettitte/Hughes

Cubs:
    Zambrano
    Harden
    Dempster
    Lilly
    Marquis

Rays:
    Kazmir
    Shields
    Garza
    Sonnanstine
    Price

Red Sox:
    Beckett
    Lester
    Matsuzaka
    Wakefield
    Buchholz

Angels:
    Lackey
    Escobar
    Santana
    Saunders
    Weaver

Missing anyone?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 12-16-2008 at 12:52 PM.

Veteran
    The Mets, by virtue of simply having Johan thegreatestpitchereverbyahugemargin Santana in their rotation, obviously blow away the competition Tyler. Duh.

But seriously, while the Rays rotation is probably the best on paper, it will be hard for all three Al East teams to actually put up the #s, as there are three damn good offenses there too...

Hall Of Fame
    If healthy, it's the Angels from top to bottom. All of those rotations are pretty nasty talent wise especially the Rays and Yanks.

Veteran
    Arizona's top two are really good, but the rest of the staff is ok at best.

Right now I would say the two best are either the Rays or Halos.

Banned
    Here is the 2nd batch.

D-Backs:
    Webb
    Haren
    Scherzer
    Davis
    Petit

Mariners:
    Hernandez
    Bedard
    Silva
    Batista
    Washburn

Dodgers:
    Billingsley
    Kershaw
    Kuroda
    TBA
    TBA

Giants:
    Lincecum
    Cain
    Sanchez
    Zito
    Lowry/Pucetas

Mets:
    Santana
    Maine
    Pelfrey
    TBA
    TBA

Indians:
    Lee
    Carmona
    Laffey
    Reyes
    Sowers

All Pro
    On paper, the Yanks is the best IMO. But that's only on paper. Right now if I had to take a staff, I would probably go with the Angels.

All Pro
    I think it's gotta be the Halos. The Yankees definitely upgraded but our rotation has a ton of question marks. The Angels have a bunch of sure things. Well, as sure as you can get.

Banned
    I think you guys are overrating the Angels rotation. I see.. 1 sure thing, maybe 2 in that rotation.

Saunders and Santana have to repeat career years.

Weaver has not been very good, but has the potential. Inconsistent.

Escobar tore his right labrum last season.

JetsFan2012
    I can't believe Wakefield still pitches. His junk balls don't fool anyone anymore.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    The Mets, by virtue of simply having Johan thegreatestpitchereverbyahugemargin Santana in their rotation, obviously blow away the competition Tyler. Duh.

But seriously, while the Rays rotation is probably the best on paper, it will be hard for all three Al East teams to actually put up the #s, as there are three damn good offenses there too...
    You really hate Johan Santana and Mets fans..

oh and Angels

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post

oh and Angels
    Not true at all. I think the world of Santana. And I have no opinion on the Mets really, they don't impact my life at all and I generally wish them the best. When they had Willie at the helm, I positively rooted for them.

However, I do have issues with that one particular thread

Undrafted Free Agent
    I'd go with the Rays, unless somehow Burnett has another career year. Then I'd go with the Yankees. Burnett is a disaster waiting to happen, up until last year he had never won more than 12 games.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post

oh and Angels
    I don't think he hates Johan Santana and the Mets, I think he hates Johan Santana being on the Mets. Fortunately for the Mets that's something he can blame Brian Cashman on. Cashman's brilliant plan to implement young studs into the rotation and go with a more fiscally responsible approach to running the Yankees lasted about a month into the 2008 season.

All League
    On paper, if the Yankees sign Pettite to be the 5th they take the cake easily.

Right now though I would put the Cubs and Rays ahead of the Yankees and the Angels right next to them. Of course the Cubs need Dempster to repeat his career year and Lily and Zambrano to be more consistent. The Rays seem set to have the best day in and day out group while the Angels have to have a repeat of the somewhat freak year. The Yankees will most likely be very good but I will have to see all of them in action before I declare them the best in the game.

Also, if the Mets bring in Lowe/Wolf combo for the 3 and 5 spots, or even anything comparable, then you would have to mention them in the top group.

It will be fun to bump this thread in March.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeebers View Post
    I'd go with the Rays, unless somehow Burnett has another career year. Then I'd go with the Yankees. Burnett is a disaster waiting to happen, up until last year he had never won more than 12 games.
    W-L is stupid statistic to look at, he's been on some bad teams. Burnett is the Yankees #3... I'd be really happy with a 3.86 ERA with 15 wins.

Hall Of Fame
    For my opinion, I think the Red Sox will have the best rotation next year, mainly because I think very highly of Buchholz and like Beckett to bounce back. Yankees (Although I don't really expect Burnett to be reliable, at all, otherwise it's very nice as well), Rays, Angels, and D'Backs are all very good as well on paper.

I think the Cubs rotation is overhyped. Harden is still fragile, Dempster screams one year wonder, and Zambrano was hurting a bit last year as well.

I think if the Mets can sign Lowe, and bring in some decent competition for Niese, that their Rotation would be just as good as any of the ones listed as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Mariners when Bedard is back.

King Felix
    Bedard
    Morrow
    Rowland Smith
    Silva/Washburn/Heilman/Batista

Marlins rotation is going to be filthy in the future.

And why do you keep putting Pelfrey as our #3 starter? He proved last year he's our #2 and potential #1 in the future.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post

King Felix
    Bedard
    Morrow
    Rowland Smith
    You're assuming they're going to start the 5 most deserving pitchers. I can't see them eating the Silva/Washburn/Batista contracts by either pitching them out of the bullpen or not pitching them at all.

I think they'll probably ask Morrow or Rowland Smith to close, and possibly Heilman out of the Pen as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post

King Felix
    Bedard
    Morrow
    Rowland Smith

Marlins rotation is going to be filthy in the future.

And why do you keep putting Pelfrey as our #3 starter? He proved last year he's our #2 and potential #1 in the future.
    Well obviously Pelfrey still has to prove he can repeat last years success, and I doubt Pelfrey will be slotted in front of Maine in the opening series.

I also forgot about Morrow.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    You're assuming they're going to start the 5 most deserving pitchers. I can't see them eating the Silva/Washburn/Batista contracts by either pitching them out of the bullpen or not pitching them at all.

I think they'll probably ask Morrow or Rowland Smith to close, and possibly Heilman out of the Pen as well.
    You make a good point with the salaries. There won't be any Bedard for a while so I'm guessing

Hernandez
    Washburn
    Morrow

Last two spots battle between Heilman/Smith/Silva/Batista

And Sean, Maine isn't any more proven then Pelfrey considering he pitched last year injured and is coming off surgery. The way Pelfrey approached games specifically after a game during the trip Willie got fired against the Halos he became a new pitcher.

OT: Wow, just thinking about it now. Amazing watching him develop. Best game I saw by him was a game on sunday night baseball vs the Rockies, the crowd was screaming Pelfrey pelfrey pelfrey in the 9th but he didn't finish the game. Also a game vs the Cardinals where he dominated Pujols with sinkers on his hand. Can't wait for baseball...