Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees "seem ready to pounce for Manny Ramirez, "love the idea of Manny"

Banned

Yankees "seem ready to pounce for Manny Ramirez, "love the idea of Manny"

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/32806

SI.com's Jon Heyman says the Yankees aren't optimistic about signing Mark Teixeira, and "seem ready to pounce for Manny Ramirez." He says the Yankees "love the idea of Manny."

Heyman notes that Teixeira signing with the Red Sox would be ideal for Manny and Scott Boras, since Boston is not a possibility for Ramirez. The Angels might have heightened interest in Manny if they are unable to sign Tex.

All Pro
    Guido is going to be smitten by this.

Veteran
    I have said it for awhile now, if the Yankees sign a big bat this offseason it will be Manny...

If they do I hope it is no more than a 1 or 2 yr deal...let's see

I have to admit the possibility of him hitting behind AROD is a bit enticing..

Veteran
    it will be truely very very difficult to root for manny even if he is in pinstripes

I just don't like how he plays, he is a dick. I am not sure how Girardi would put up with his sh*t either. I guess if we dealt with Shef we could deal with Manny esp. if he performs like he has in the past.....

I don't know I'm torn

Hall Of Fame
    Not happening. This is Boras floating his BS out there.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH View Post
    it will be truely very very difficult to root for manny even if he is in pinstripes

I just don't like how he plays, he is a dick. I am not sure how Girardi would put up with his sh*t either. I guess if we dealt with Shef we could deal with Manny esp. if he performs like he has in the past.....

I don't know I'm torn
    That's what people said about Ted Williams too. Its amazing what seeing one of the top 5 hitters of the past 50 years will do once he dons your jersey.

Manny is a putz, but he's a putz who can hit better than anyone I've ever seen, and a goofy, nonthreatening one at that. There is a big big difference between Manny, and say Elijah Dukes, or, for that matter, most of the thugs in the NFL.

Its funny, all those "I play the game the right way" and "respect the game" players, managers, and fans (yes, I am looking at you Beckett) certainly don't mind having Manny hit for them.

Banned
    I am 70% in favor of doing this.

Johnny Damon LF
    Derek Jeter SS
    Alex Rodriguez 3B
    Manny Ramirez DH
    Jorge Posada C
    Xavier Nady RF
    Nick Swisher 1B
    Robinson Cano 2B
    Cameron/Gardner CF (Assuming Melky for Cameron trade eventually gets done)

That is a good lineup. Manny behind A-Rod is very dangerous.

2. Manny will be motivated to slaughter the Red Sox.

The only problem to me is, we will have to deal Matsui. Trading him will be difficult. He's getting paid 13m next year, and just had knee surgery. We can't hold onto 2 DH's, especially considering both Damon and Posada will need time at DH. Yankees will have to be willing to eat some of that money. Fortunately Matsui only has 1 more year on that contract, and when healthy can hit.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

Johnny Damon LF
    Derek Jeter SS
    Alex Rodriguez 3B
    Manny Ramirez DH
    Jorge Posada C
    Xavier Nady RF
    Nick Swisher 1B
    Robinson Cano 2B

The only problem to me is, we will have to deal Matsui. Trading him will be difficult. He's getting paid 13m next year, and just had knee surgery. We can't hold onto 2 DH's, especially considering both Damon and Posada will need time at DH. Yankees will have to be willing to eat some of that money. Fortunately Matsui only has 1 more year on that contract, and when healthy can hit.
    Or they trade Nady. He's much more tradeable. Remember, Hideki also as a NT clause.

Veteran

Johnny Damon LF
    Derek Jeter SS
    Alex Rodriguez 3B
    Manny Ramirez DH
    Jorge Posada C
    Xavier Nady RF
    Nick Swisher 1B
    Robinson Cano 2B

I would not rule out them trading Nady if the sign Manny and put him in RF..

Also in year 1 Manny will be MOTIVATED and play great...its anything after that I worry about...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Or they trade Nady. He's much more tradeable. Remember, Hideki also as a NT clause.
    Yeah, but I don't want either Matsui or Manny in the outfield. I'm big on defense.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    I would not rule out them trading Nady if the sign Manny and put him in RF..

Also in year 1 Manny will be MOTIVATED and play great...its anything after that I worry about...
    Have to put some big incentives in Manny's contract.

Hall Of Fame
    Would love to see a Manny Damon Matsui outfield defensively. Wow that would be entertaining.

All Pro
    Yeah, but I don't want either Matsui or Manny in the outfield. I'm big on defense.
    That's great, but what are we getting out of a guy who has had 2 knee surgeries in the past two seasons and makes 13 Million? I like Nady and would rather have him out there, but Matsui is not a very tradeable commodity right now.

Veteran
    Oh crap, now the Melky/Cameron thread and this one have converged into the same topic, and I am too lazy to write out my reply again about defense.

Basically, that offense and pitching staff will win you lots more games than the defense with Cameron.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason View Post
    That's great, but what are we getting out of a guy who has had 2 knee surgeries in the past two seasons and makes 13 Million? I like Nady and would rather have him out there, but Matsui is not a very tradeable commodity right now.
    I guess I would keep all 3 of them. Matsui will be one expensive pitch hitter, but I do not want Matsui or Manny in the outfield. See this is why this deal doesn't get one. After get all these pitchers, we can't have an awful awful defensive outfield.

All Pro
    I guess I would keep all 3 of them. Matsui will be one expensive pitch hitter, but I do not want Matsui or Manny in the outfield. See this is why this deal doesn't get one. After get all these pitchers, we can't have an awful awful defensive outfield.
    Well, this team hasn't been good defensively in a while, at least in the outfield. For a long time now we've had great hitters and not great fielders out there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason View Post
    Well, this team hasn't been good defensively in a while, at least in the outfield. For a long time now we've had great hitters and not great fielders out there.
    Damon- Cabrera/Gardner- Abreu/Nady was a good defensive outfield, at least average.

Damon - Swisher - Manny/Matsui is bad

I want Damon - Cameron - Nady in 2009 (Mixed with Gardner in late innings.. that's a really good)

Veteran
    Damon- Cabrera/Gardner- Abreu/Nady was a good defensive outfield, at least average.

Damon - Swisher - Manny/Matsui is bad

I want Damon - Cameron - Nady in 2009
    Tyler, I think you are seriously overvaluing defense. Or rather, the value of Cameron and Nady on defense vs. Manny and one of them on offense.

Damon Cameron Nady isn't nearly a good enough defense to make up for their relative league average-ness.

An outfield made up of some combination of Damon, Gardner/Melky, Swisher, Manny/Dunn, Matsui/Nady, etc I would put as much more valuable

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Tyler, I think you are seriously overvaluing defense. Or rather, the value of Cameron and Nady on defense vs. Manny and one of them on offense.

Damon Cameron Nady isn't nearly a good enough defense to make up for their relative league average-ness.

An outfield made up of some combination of Damon, Gardner/Melky, Swisher, Manny/Dunn, Matsui/Nady, etc I would put as much more valuable
    I would try and construct a team with..

Damon LF, Cameron CF, Nady RF and Manny the DH

Matsui has some value, especially for 1 year.

Banned

Johnny Damon LF
    Derek Jeter SS
    Alex Rodriguez 3B
    Manny Ramirez DH
    Jorge Posada C
    Xavier Nady RF
    Nick Swisher 1B
    Robinson Cano 2B

You're dead on with your assessment. Manny upgrades our offense in a big way, he's as clutch as they get and he'll take all the pressure off A-Rod. He's a headcase but he'll be a motivated headcase who will be obsessed with beating Boston.

Matsui can be dealt. Yankees will probably have to eat a good portion of what's left on his deal. Maybe Joe Torre in LA will be interested. The guy can still hit.