Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should be Mets be looking at Abreu?

Hall Of Fame

Should be Mets be looking at Abreu?

he seems like a good fit. The only issue is he is asking for about 16mil per.....i think if the mets go into the season with the current lineup + Abreu i would feel pretty good about it.

Banned
    It's shocking a player as good as Abreu isn't getting much attention. High OBP, a lock for 100 RBI's, steals 20-30 bases, and can hit in high pressure situations. I think he's a far better player than Xavier Nady. I wouldn't be apposed to trading Nady for a CF and re-signing Abreu.

Practice Squad
    For 16 million, no way. He makes any lineup better with his patience and runs batted in but hes not worth what hes asking. He's also 34 and I hate the way he plays OF.
    Last edited by NY_80; 12-20-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Would you play him in LF and sit Murphy or try to trade Church?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_80 View Post
    For 16 million, no way. He makes any lineup better with his patience and runs batted in but hes not worth what hes asking. He's also 34 and I hate the way he plays OF.
    He wont be getting 16 million a year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    It's shocking a player as good as Abreu isn't getting much attention. High OBP, a lock for 100 RBI's, steals 20-30 bases, and can hit in high pressure situations. I think he's a far better player than Xavier Nady. I wouldn't be apposed to trading Nady for a CF and re-signing Abreu.
    This is the scenario I would like to play out, but it doesn't seem like it will happen. I think Abreu would be a really nice fit for the Mets as well.

Hall Of Fame
    He wont be getting 16 million a year.
    Is 2/24 or 3/30 reasonable?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound View Post
    I think that's very reasonable for a player like Abreu. I would definitely do that from a Yankee or Met standpoint.

Banned
    2 for 24. I don't see Abreu making 16 million a year, but I also don't think he makes 10 million a year. Ibanez got just over 10 from Philly, and Abreu is clearly the better player.

Hall Of Fame
    I like Murphy as much as the next guy, but i don't think Murphy is an every day player yet anyways....we need someone like Abreu to stabilize the lineup. I would be much much more comfortable with Abreu hitting second as opposed to Castillo....he is a guy who will take pitches, hit for average, walk and hit for occasional power. There are 3 big issues with Abreu:

1. He wants too much money - not a big issue, i don't think anyone comes close and he ends up signing 3/30 or something like that...another words reasonable.

2. We is not a good defensive player - i can live with him in the OF, but then again i am willing to live with Manny out there too...i think Beltran/Church/Abreu would be ok defensively (not great....ok).

3. He is definitely not the player he used to be, one has to wonder if he will take a step backwards....again willing to take the risk for 2-3 years.

All in all, we need someone in the lineup....i am not willing to hand my hat on Church/Murphy/Evens splitting time in the OF.

All Pro
    Id love Nady back. To bad Mets/Yanks dont match up in a trade

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post
    Id love Nady back. To bad Mets/Yanks dont match up in a trade
    say what you will but the guy is mediocre IMHO....it was amazing how bad he was with RISP for us.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    say what you will but the guy is mediocre IMHO....it was amazing how bad he was with RISP for us.
    Besides a few great months with the Pirates, me and you agree. He has been a mediocre player his whole career. This is why I didn't like the Tabata trade, and still don't.

Hall Of Fame
    Besides a few great months with the Pirates, me and you agree. He has been a mediocre player his whole career. This is why I didn't like the Tabata trade, and still don't.
    the great ones always rip it up when the games don't count

Hall Of Fame
    Already showing signs of being on the decline, not just offensively but defensively. Quite honestly, I question if he would even produce more then Church/Murphy/Tatis/Evans or dare I say Martinez in 2009.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Already showing signs of being on the decline, not just offensively but defensively. Quite honestly, I question if he would even produce more then Church/Murphy/Tatis/Evans or dare I say Martinez in 2009.
    Martinez needs to rip it up this year....he is on the verge of losing his "blue chip" status if he has another bad year.

Hall Of Fame
    How do you figure? BA/OBP/SLG all increased in 2008 compared to 2007.

Church was terrible when he came back. I don't expect him to be that bad in 2009 but I don't expect him to be as good as he was Pre-All Star break, either.

I don't know why you would think Martinez would put up a 800+ OPS in 2009. That would be tremendous.

Hall Of Fame
    How do you figure? BA/OBP/SLG all increased in 2008 compared to 2007.
    Yes, but it's pretty obvious Abreu isn't the same player today that he was in Philly, yet that's the player that Abreu wants to be paid like.

Church was terrible when he came back. I don't expect him to be that bad in 2009 but I don't expect him to be as good as he was Pre-All Star break, either.
    Not uncommon for someone to lose their stroke after most of 3 months off, I don't think for a minute that his struggles were concussion related. His entire career he's been an 800 OPS+ bat, I don't see any reason to think he won't be the same next year, and he's considerably better on Defense at this point.

I don't know why you would think Martinez would put up a 800+ OPS in 2009. That would be tremendous.
    I really don't (Not in 2009, but down the line he should), but it does stress that you have pretty good depth at the position when he's what, 5th on the Depth Chart?

Banned
    Yes, but it's pretty obvious Abreu isn't the same player today that he was in Philly, yet that's the player that Abreu wants to be paid like.
    Abreu is still a very productive player. Underrated IMO. I think most Yankee fans are in for a surprise when they see Nady not produce half a much as Abreu did.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 12-20-2008 at 11:46 PM.

Hall Of Fame

Not uncommon for someone to lose their stroke after most of 3 months off, I don't think for a minute that his struggles were concussion related. His entire career he's been an 800 OPS+ bat, I don't see any reason to think he won't be the same next year, and he's considerably better on Defense at this point.

I really don't (Not in 2009, but down the line he should), but it does stress that you have pretty good depth at the position when he's what, 5th on the Depth Chart?
    I wouldn't pay Abreu like he was in Philly but a 2/24-28 or a 3/30-34 would be reasonable.

I'm saying to keep Church and let Murphy learn 1B in AAA to take over for Delgado next year.

1 Reyes
    2 Abreu
    3 Wright
    4 Beltran
    5 Delgado
    6 Church
    7 Catcher
    8 2B