Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought: Is Farve getting old or is it the system?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought: Is Farve getting old or is it the system?

Can a future HOF QB, who threw for a record 6 TD's in a game, just a few weeks ago age overnight to become what we see today?

Is this the same Brett Favre that we have seen in the first 11 games and over his 16 year career?

Can a JETS team that won 5 in a row, with the last two wins against NE and the undefeated Titans team, all of a sudden become flat-out terrible overnight because of player execution?

Something is wrong here. Something stinks to high heaven and It's coming from Mangini's office.

It's as if the team is just - not giving up but giving in - to Mangini's total lack of passion for the game.

You could see it in Favre's eye's as if he wants to blurt out and say, get me the hell outta here - and I don't blame him. This organization has no passion, no passion to win. They care more about making sure their plan is executed to perfection then adjusting their plan to win the game.

You could hear it in Coles' voice, Washington's comments, Damien Woody remarks after the Seattle game. This team has become exactly what Mangini has wanted them to be - emotionless.

Brett is a gunslinger just in the same way all the greats were. Namath is the 1st name that comes to mind. He threw a ton of INT's but that was part of the game. You got to take smart chances. Sometimes they work but sometimes they won't - but you got to take chances.

As the saying goes, No Balls, No Blue Chips

Time for the New York JETS to take a chance on another coaching staff.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's a bit of both.

I think you can tell Brett is beginning to break down a bit, but let's look at the coaching side. How is it that Pennington looks like complete dogsh*t last year then goes and has a pro-bowl caliber season on an offense with a bunch of nobodies outside of Ronnie Brown?

I don't even want to hear this crap about the Jets being one of the highest scoring teams in the AFC. You can tell there is something wrong here. I'm tired of this cutesy gimmick bullsh*t that Schottenheimer pulls. I'm tired of going 5 wide on 3rd and 1.

This team has failed to find an indentity offensively. You'd think we're a running team with the season Jones has had, but we seem to totally neglect him as soon as we go down by a single score.

I say promote Callahan to OC during the offseason. His track record is great as an offensive guru. He's done a terrific job with the O-line and we can finally get down to just lining up and taking it to teams.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;2928686]I'm tired of this cutesy gimmick bullsh*t that Schottenheimer pulls. I'm tired of going 5 wide on 3rd and 1.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. I was in my living room SCREAMING for them to run the damned ball down Seattle's throat.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i now truly believe its the system, last year we blamed Chad's arm to pigeon hole the offense, this year we get the guy who can make all the throws and we still ourselves asking is it the QB or the system?

Now Favre has made some head scracthing INTs but that is Favre, he has done that all his career.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clearly it is the system, considering the many upgrades and how Chad is doing in Miami. PS: the passing game for the Jets is poor because the receivers are slow and small, they cannot get separation or outleap anyone for a ball. Sure they made a couple of nice plays this year but nothing like other teams. Their lack of speed means the Oline must hold their blocks longer, when they cannot, BF gets pressured and has to throw the ball - usually with poor mechanics. I think he is frustrated at the skill level of the receivers and by the second half is thinking, they never get open, I just better throw it hoping they can make a play.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetaholic;2928676]Can a future HOF QB, who threw for a record 6 TD's in a game, just a few weeks ago age overnight to become what we see today?

Is this the same Brett Favre that we have seen in the first 11 games and over his 16 year career?

Can a JETS team that won 5 in a row, with the last two wins against NE and the undefeated Titans team, all of a sudden become flat-out terrible overnight because of player execution?

Something is wrong here. Something stinks to high heaven and It's coming from Mangini's office.

It's as if the team is just - not giving up but giving in - to Mangini's total lack of passion for the game.

You could see it in Favre's eye's as if he wants to blurt out and say, get me the hell outta here - and I don't blame him. This organization has no passion, no passion to win. They care more about making sure their plan is executed to perfection then adjusting their plan to win the game.

You could hear it in Coles' voice, Washington's comments, Damien Woody remarks after the Seattle game. This team has become exactly what Mangini has wanted them to be - emotionless.

Brett is a gunslinger just in the same way all the greats were. Namath is the 1st name that comes to mind. He threw a ton of INT's but that was part of the game. You got to take smart chances. Sometimes they work but sometimes they won't - but you got to take chances.

As the saying goes, No Balls, No Blue Chips

Time for the New York JETS to take a chance on another coaching staff.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Is the system. I'm sick and tired of the "if we had pennington, we be this and that" threads, thats bs. Did people forget how he did last year here? The reason he is doing great in Miami is because they are using him to his strengths and are not depending on him to be the player he was here.

So...Why all of a sudden we collapse after beating the titans?
    The reason is teams found out our scripted plays and we have a coach who doesn't know how to adjust and change it up. The term "halftime adjustment" doesn't exist for Mangini.
    Don't get me wrong, Favre has played horrible the last 4 games but how can't we FULLY blame him for everthing? Our WR can't get open if their lives depend on it, Our OC can't make good decions on 3rd and short, instead he picks a long bomb. Our biggest playmaker is only getting 1-3 carries a game!!.
    Thats just terrible playcalling.
    Last edited by ArmyJets04; 12-23-2008 at 08:57 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ArmyJets04;2928716]Exactly, Is the system. I'm sick and tired of the "if we had pennington, we be this and that" threads, thats bs. Did people forget how he did last year here? The reason he is doing great in Miami is because they are using him to his strengths and are not depending on him to be the player he was here.

So...Why all of a sudden we collapse after beating the titans?
    The reason is teams found out our scripted plays and we have a coach who doesn't know how to adjust and change it up. The term "halftime adjustment" doesn't exist for Mangini.
    Don't get me wrong, Favre has played horrible the last 4 games but how can't we FULLY blame him for everthing? Our WR can't get open if their lives depend on it, Our OC can't make good decions on 3rd and short, instead he picks a long bomb. Our biggest playmaker is only getting 1-3 carries a game!!.
    Thats just terrible playcalling.[/QUOTE]

Look I hate Schotty and wanted him fired from after '06 and on... and he is certainly to blame here as well.

But please take a step back and realize that Favre is a HUGE part of the problem. Schotty doesn't call long bombs on 3rd down, he might send one receiver out on a long pattern, and idiot Favre throws to that double covered receiver rather than to the primary and secondary (and sometimes third receiver like on the 4th & 2 at the end of the game). The guy is an absolute moron and refuses to learn our playbook (ala LaMont Jordan) and instead we have to use 15 or so plays that he knows from GB, and we have to change everything up for the receivers. Now, opposing teams have figured out we only run a limited number of pass plays and patterns, so they can just sit on those routes and cover the receivers knowing full well what is likely the play options. And since he refuses/refused to learn our playbook, we have nothing else we can run so we're screwed.

Favre AND Schotty BOTH SUCK and BOTH need to be fired... PRONTO

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As much as the system sucks and is affecting other aspects of our play, Favre's problems have been because of Favre.

The "system" doesn't mean you overthrow receivers every time they pass the 20 yard marker, and don't give me that "lack of separation" bull****.

The "system" doesn't cause Favre to throw INTs right to the other team.

The "system" doesn't allow a fireless and emotionless redneck walk on to the field to give no confidence to his team.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ChadOwnsBrady;2929362]As much as the system sucks and is affecting other aspects of our play, Favre's problems have been because of Favre.

The "system" doesn't mean you overthrow receivers every time they pass the 20 yard marker, and don't give me that "lack of separation" bull****.

The "system" doesn't cause Favre to throw INTs right to the other team.

The "system" doesn't allow a fireless and emotionless redneck walk on to the field to give no confidence to his team.[/QUOTE]

+1

The system gave clowney a beautiful route that would have led to a TD, yet Favre under throws him by a mile.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to tell one thing for sure the OC in Miami is an excellent QB coach, Vinny had the best year of his career under when he was the QB coach here. Favre's mechanics are awful. In the Seattle game he stepped into the throw to Cotch on the last series and it looked like a rocket launcer deliverying a stike. The next pass was a another back footed throw with nothing on it that was picked. Perhaps if we had coaches who actually stressed mechanics and execution he might break down less? Perhaps Chad with a real QB coach to work with him every week has had something to do with him not breaking down?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's the system, just look at what Chad has done with a much more inferior offensive unit in Miami against similar opposition...Sure Favre is old but his arm is still 100 x stronger than Chad's and he is by far a better QB...The system has handicapped Favre far more than his age and its blatantly obvious...A guy doesn't all of a sudden go from an MVP candidate one year to a complete bumb the next because he got a year older...
    Last edited by nyctomjetsfan; 12-23-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://ballsiest.com/sportsblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/brett-favre-superman.gif[/IMG]

he isnt getting too old, he could play another 30 years..lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nyctomjetsfan;2929592]It's the system, just look at what Chad has done with a much more inferior offensive unit in Miami against similar opposition...Sure Favre is old but his arm is still 100 x stronger than Chad's and he is by far a better QB...The system has handicapped Favre far more than his age and its blatantly obvious...A guy doesn't all of a sudden go from an MVP candidate one year to a complete bumb the next because he got a year older...[/QUOTE]

Athletes over 30 fall off the cliff all the time. Eyesights not as good, reaction time slows by fractions, ligaments shrink, muscle mass is lost. It takes small fractions to go from great to done. Why do you think athletes are looking for a small edge all the time?

Favre has gone from a great cold weather QB to a guy the cold weather turns to crap. Age its a killer.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2929639]Athletes over 30 fall off the cliff all the time. Eyesights not as good, reaction time slows by fractions, ligaments shrink, muscle mass is lost. It takes small fractions to go from great to done. Why do you think athletes are looking for a small edge all the time?

Favre has gone from a great cold weather QB to a guy the cold weather turns to crap. Age its a killer.[/QUOTE]
    I am not disputing the fact the guys age has hindered his ability on the field... All i'm doing is pointing out the obvious that the system has clearly handicapped and hurt him far more...It can't all be the man's age or even 50/50 for that matter, he was an MVP candidate just last year...You can't logically tell me he has physically regressed so bad in a couple of months without serious injury to the point that Chad Pennington is a better QB...that's just crazy...

The system sucks, it's that plain and simple...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has a Qb ever done well in Schottys offense?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nyctomjetsfan;2929744]I am not disputing the fact the guys age has hindered his ability on the field... All i'm doing is pointing out the obvious that the system has clearly handicapped and hurt him far more...It can't all be the man's age or even 50/50 for that matter, he was an MVP candidate just last year...You can't logically tell me he has physically regressed so bad in a couple of months without serious injury to the point that Chad Pennington is a better QB...that's just crazy...

The system sucks, it's that plain and simple...[/QUOTE]

Why can't Favre go from an MVP candidate to a ****ty QB? Check out his stats from the two years before last year, he went from a ****ty QB to an MVP candidate so it's certainly possible to go back the other way.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2928982]Look I hate Schotty and wanted him fired from after '06 and on... and he is certainly to blame here as well.

But please take a step back and realize that Favre is a HUGE part of the problem. Schotty doesn't call long bombs on 3rd down, he might send one receiver out on a long pattern, and idiot Favre throws to that double covered receiver rather than to the primary and secondary (and sometimes third receiver like on the 4th & 2 at the end of the game). The guy is an absolute moron and refuses to learn our playbook (ala LaMont Jordan) and instead we have to use 15 or so plays that he knows from GB, and we have to change everything up for the receivers. Now, opposing teams have figured out we only run a limited number of pass plays and patterns, so they can just sit on those routes and cover the receivers knowing full well what is likely the play options. [B]And since he refuses/refused to learn our playbook, we have nothing else we can run so we're screwed.[/B]

Favre AND Schotty BOTH SUCK and BOTH need to be fired... PRONTO[/QUOTE]

How many times are you going to spew the same illogical, unproven nonsense over and over and over? Calling Favre a moron is a bit much, no?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's both.

Favre is a has-been. It's painfully obvious that he's done as an NFL QB. The system has always sucked and with the three stooges in charge it will keep sucking.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJets 4 Life;2930845]How many times are you going to spew the same illogical, unproven nonsense over and over and over? Calling Favre a moron is a bit much, no?[/QUOTE]

what do you call throwing into double, triple or quadruple coverage?!? What do you call 0 passing TDs and 6 INTs in the last 4 games?!?

I call that a pretty dumb QB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is a bit of an idiot. But everyone just calls his redneck drawl "charming".