Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Bellichick never shows EMOTION

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;2929327]Its not just EMOTION....how about coaching? How about gathering his secondary together during a game where they look totally confused and are getting torched and, you know, COACHING THEM? That was supposed to be his SPECIALTY, right?

[/QUOTE]

Mangini is more concerned about having fresh gum in his mouth than coaching the defense.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mangini is so clearly trying to be mini-me to big Bill B that it's a little sad. He is trying to mimic his mentor's style and it just doesn't work.

Belichick shows a lot of emotion on the sidelines during the game, but it's all on his face and in his body language. Usually, he is simply seething with anger and often just turns away from the action, puts his head down and starts talking on his headset (wouldn't want to be on the other side of most of his comments). No one, even Tom Brady, walks up to him unless he summons them, usually by grabbing them and pulling them towards him as though to say, "You idiot, I have to talk to you."

He is always barking at the coaches in the booth and he used to actually take over Defensive huddles on the sidelines when TB was running the show on the field. Hasn't done that very often this year. He gets incredibly animated and starts yelling red in the face when someone screws up or when he's trying to get the attention of the O or D on a big play. If I was ever so lucky as to get a sideline pass for an NFL game, I think I'd be sure I didn't get any closer to him than 20 or 30 feet, close enough to watch him but far enough away that I wouldn't be on his radar screen or do anything to incur his wrath.

He hates the press (you would too if you had spent a year being ripped by them) and provides the shortest possible answers to questions in his pressers...just enough to satisfy the league's requirement that he speak with the press. The humor he shows at these encounters is so dry that most miss it, but occasionally vicious.

Ironically, two friends of mine who knew him as neighbor and parent when he was in the NY area all those years, say that in those environments he is very friendly, even charming and quite funny. But, there is no doubt that his guard is always up now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYCFan;2929339]Mangini is so clearly trying to be mini-me to big Bill B that it's a little sad. He is trying to mimic his mentor's style and it just doesn't work.

Belichick shows a lot of emotion on the sidelines during the game, but it's all on his face and in his body language. Usually, he is simply seething with anger and often just turns away from the action, puts his head down and starts talking on his headset (wouldn't want to be on the other side of most of his comments). No one, even Tom Brady, walks up to him unless he summons them, usually by grabbing them and pulling them towards him as though to say, "You idiot, I have to talk to you."

He is always barking at the coaches in the booth and he used to actually take over Defensive huddles on the sidelines when TB was running the show on the field. Hasn't done that very often this year. He gets incredibly animated and starts yelling red in the face when someone screws up or when he's trying to get the attention of the O or D on a big play. If I was ever so lucky as to get a sideline pass for an NFL game, I think I'd be sure I didn't get any closer to him than 20 or 30 feet, close enough to watch him but far enough away that I wouldn't be on his radar screen or do anything to incur his wrath.

He hates the press (you would too if you had spent a year being ripped by them) and provides the shortest possible answers to questions in his pressers...just enough to satisfy the league's requirement that he speak with the press. The humor he shows at these encounters is so dry that most miss it, but occasionally vicious.

Ironically, two friends of mine who knew him as neighbor and parent when he was in the NY area all those years, say that in those environments he is very friendly, even charming and quite funny. But, there is no doubt that his guard is always up now.[/QUOTE]

Man, did you nail that post. :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2929245]I've seen Belichick show emotion on the sidelines... he gets angry, he gets in the faces of his defensive unit and coaches them, and he definitely shows some kind of expression. [/QUOTE]

Absolutely, he is pretty intense coaching a game and is quite verbal and
    animated with his players, coaches, and officials.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2929262]Emotion? You wanna see emotion?

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sd-j0rKeKw[/url][/QUOTE]

That just made my day.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the big difference between the two, is that BB never stops coaching. It seems like every time the camera looks at NE bench when the offense is on the field you see BB coaching the lb's and secondary.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2929245]I've seen Belichick show emotion on the sidelines... he gets angry, he gets in the faces of his defensive unit and coaches them, and he definitely shows some kind of expression.

[B]Mangini looks like he's trying to emulate his hero but is taking it to the extreme, to the point where he's ignoring his players[/B].[/QUOTE]

This is a point i frequently harp on....Its all well and good to try and take pointers from people who you respect and who are successful....but, at the end of the day, everyone needs to create their own receipe for success. Trying to copy what the Pats or Bellichek do is fine to a point, but what Mangini needs to realize is that Bellichek is unique. If you try to be Bellichek, Part Deux, you'll fail. Bellichek can be surly and disassociated because that's what works for him.

The man is a social leper, but he's a football genius and his players would never question him and run through a wall for him because they know that he is a football savant. That's not something you can simply replicate. Besides, Bellichek knows that there isn't just one way of doing things. The Pats have been successful with no WRs; they've been successful with Pro Bowl WRs. They've been successful with no running game, they've been successful with a power running game.

If he's given a stay of execution, Mangini needs to figure out what works for him....not simply do what he's seen before him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;2929363]The man is a social leper[/QUOTE]

Only to the media and fools. He doesn't "suffer fools gladly..."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sect313;2929269]once he starts coaching like BB he can get away with it[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2929245]I've seen Belichick show emotion on the sidelines... he gets angry, he gets in the faces of his defensive unit and coaches them, and he definitely shows some kind of expression.

Mangini looks like he's trying to emulate his hero but is taking it to the extreme, to the point where he's ignoring his players.[/QUOTE]

I agree. This is the biggest misconception about BB. Watch him. He is always walking back and forth yelling to players on the field and conducting mini-meetings with players on the sideline. He is absolutely emotionally and mentally engaged on that sideline. Heck in the WC playoff two years ago against the Jets he about blew a gasket when Chad's attempted forward pass was a lateral and none of his players except Wilfork recognized it. As I recall he also yelled at a Pittsburgh trainer to get the F#ck away from one of his injured players. Yeah, that BB he's emotionless.:rolleyes: what a bunch of garbage. Use your own eyes. don't believe the crap the so-called experts peddle.

Now contrast that with Mangini. He barely moves. I'm afariad a pigeon might land on him. And his facial expression! OMG! He looks like he's about to cry. He's perfected the pouting pursed lips of failure of another NY sports loser - Aarron Heilman.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Belichick is on WEEI every Monday at 5pm.

He was actually asked this question a few weeks ago. He said that he doesn't celebrate during the games because his focus is always on the next step. He doesn't have the luxury of jumping up and down and cheering. He said that the time for that is after the game.

But, he is always emotionally enganged in the game, as people have said. Barking at the refs, players and coaching the defense while the offense is on the field.

And to the people who think he is just a deadpan prick..I emplore you to listen next monday at 5pm on [url]www.weei.com[/url]. He is very lose and animated and jokes around. The belichick you see at the podium, is not the normal BB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    BB actually does something when things don't go right. Instead of standing there like Mangini. BB is always with his pen and going over with the defense and bringing new strategy and Adjustments.

Unlike Mangini, who is just full of himself, thinks he is "Mr. cool"
    When something bad happens to the jets and the camara goes to him he has his arms crossed and has an upset look, chewing his fruity gum. He looks mad sometimes,Yet he doesn't do anything about it. I don't see him highly Involve with the coaching staff like BB. He is like in his little planet when we play.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2929337]Mangini is more concerned about having fresh gum in his mouth than coaching the defense.[/QUOTE]

+100000. Couldn't say it any better.
    I can't believe I am starting to agree with you.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://www.sagestossel.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/belichick-spying.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok a few things that came to mind Bellicheck in Cleveland was fired after 3 seaosns and he was a coordinator again - that means that his time back as a coordinator groomed him even more to be the head coach that he is now.

Bellicheck shows emotion but more than that Bellicheck has his players respecting him and playin hard for him. Bellicheck's system works, the system stays the same but the players can change. Mangini may be a great HC in 5 - 10 years but he needs to get back to being an assistant and re-learn the game again. This game has gotten over his head.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dfresh;2929597]Belichick is on WEEI every Monday at 5pm.

He was actually asked this question a few weeks ago. He said that he doesn't celebrate during the games because his focus is always on the next step. He doesn't have the luxury of jumping up and down and cheering. He said that the time for that is after the game.

But, he is always emotionally enganged in the game, as people have said. Barking at the refs, players and coaching the defense while the offense is on the field.

And to the people who think he is just a deadpan prick..I emplore you to listen next monday at 5pm on [url]www.weei.com[/url]. He is very lose and animated and jokes around. The belichick you see at the podium, is not the normal BB.[/QUOTE]

On the outside, Bellichek is a miserable, prick. Underneath that prickly exterior, is a good-spirited, humorous guy.

But, underneath that engaging, friendly level, is a truly angry, mean-spirited SOB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Belichick coaches his players during the game. You'll see him on the sidelines giving pointers or chewing players out. The only thing Mangini chews is gum. He may stare at a guy as he's walking off the field after he screws up but that's about it. The guy is about as bland as they come and it is reflected by the product on the field.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80d9633e[/url]

This video right here is why the Patriots are so successful.

The last 15 seconds are why his teams will go to hell and back for him..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vilma;2929235]Everyone complaining about Mangnini's lack of emotion, look at BB, he never shows any emotion, on the sidelines or in his pressers.

Marty Lyons was saying last night that if you think he is emotionless in the locker room behind closed doors, its just the opposite.

He also pointed out, Cleveland fired BB after three seasons and look what happened next.

No one has these kind of expectations for this year. Yes after 8-3 and the fail that took place the last 4 games, I think the players deserve a lot of the blame and not Eric.

Just sayin.....[/QUOTE]

As integrity 28 said, I really have no idea where you are making up this opinion. Any NE game that is on you will often see BB tough and yelling at his players on the sideline, especially the defense.

And lastly, what the heck are you talking about when you say cleveland fired BB after 3 seasons? That was BB, not Mangini, one has nothing to do with the other and I don't see how you can compare them in any way. Its the same arguments as the idiots last year saying Clemens is great b/c "hey, look, aikman was 0-11 in his first year as a starter." Is clemens aikman's son or something? Or is mangini BB's son? Under your comparisons everyone could just suck and say "hey, look, there was some player or coach in the past that sucked at first and became great!"

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    When Moss first came to the team, there was a meeting. In the meeting BB stared right at Moss and said something like "I don't care who you are or what you've done, my way is the only way". Moss said that he didn't think he could play for BB after that until they were in practice and Brady made a bad pass and BB started yelling at him that if he wanted a high school throw, he'd get a high school qb. Moss said that he knew he'd be okay after that because everyone got the same treatment and everyone caught hell from him.

He respects his players but he's got a job and you never see him not doing it. In a game, meeting, or practice. The guy lives, breathes, and loves football.