Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Mets deep in negotiations for Derek Lowe

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171

    Mets deep in negotiations for Derek Lowe

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

    Mets deep in negotiations for Derek Lowe

    By Gordon Edes, Yahoo! Sports

    Mark Teixeira’s agreement with the New York Yankees on Tuesday clears the way for the New York Mets to sign Derek Lowe, the free-agent pitcher who had been on the periphery of the Yankees’ shopping list. The Mets and Lowe are deep in negotiations, according to a source, and while an offer has not yet been made, the 35-year-old sinkerballer is the Mets’ prime target.

    The Mets have rebuilt their bullpen with the signing of free-agent closers Francisco Rodriguez and J.J. Putz, but general manager Omar Minaya is still in the market for starting pitching to supplement incumbents Johan Santana, Mike Pelfrey and John Maine.

    The Boston Red Sox had mild interest in Lowe, and losing out on Teixeira might prompt them to strongly consider bringing back Lowe for a second tour of duty in Boston. But indications from Red Sox sources point to less costly options than Lowe, who originally sought a five-year, $90 million deal but has scaled back his demands in recent weeks.

    The Mets’ bargaining position also is enhanced by the fact that rehab coordinator Chris Correnti, who was brought on board to work with the Pedro Martinez, has trained Lowe for the last 11 years.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    If true, sweet.

    Exactly the pitcher I wanted this offseason. Something like 3/45 would be ideal.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockland, New York
    Posts
    5,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    If true, sweet.

    Exactly the pitcher I wanted this offseason. Something like 3/45 would be ideal.
    It makes too much sense not to happen. You guys need another quality starter to fill out the rotation at least. Here is to New York stealing the offseason spotlight

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,114
    Does bringing in Lowe close the door on Ollie? if so its unfortunate....he will end up signing for something very reasonable once he sees that he misjudged the market.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,142
    I want Manny. But I don't mind Lowe.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    I want Manny. But I don't mind Lowe.
    I always thought Manny would be a Met one day, I don't know y.

    I hope u guys get Lowe (and Manny) if only to fcuk the red sux

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    7,629
    I hope the Mets get him, and I think they will. That would really seal the deal on their off-season. Another pat on the back for Omar if he gets this done.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    Does bringing in Lowe close the door on Ollie? if so its unfortunate....he will end up signing for something very reasonable once he sees that he misjudged the market.
    Probably does close the door on Ollie, but I'd rather have Lowe. Truth is Ollie is too unpredictable to invest in long-term when you have better alternatives, and the Mets have the chance to re-coup some much needed draft picks should they let him go elsewheres.

    I want Manny. But I don't mind Lowe.
    Not to turn this into a Manny thread, but there is zero, and I mean zero chance that he ever wears a Mets uniform.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boynton Beach, Florida
    Posts
    6,187
    Lowe would be a real nice signing by the Mets. What a great off season for the Mets.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,725
    The Mets NEED Lowe, time to show your hand Omar. Get this done and then work on getting another starter and a cheap bat.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    The Mets NEED Lowe, time to show your hand Omar. Get this done and then work on getting another starter and a cheap bat.
    Interested in Swisher? Nady? Matsui?

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Interested in Swisher? Nady? Matsui?
    I think Nady would be a good fit for right field. For some reason I could really see him playing for the Mets.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    The Mets NEED Lowe, time to show your hand Omar. Get this done and then work on getting another starter and a cheap bat.
    do the Mets have the infield defense to make signing Lowe beneficial? The only infielder who can get it is Reyes...Castillo lost a step or two, Wright is a below average fielder...and Delgado..is Delgado..

    I don't think the Mets need a groundball pitcher, they could use a strikeout or flyball pitcher...

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shaolin
    Posts
    6,538
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    do the Mets have the infield defense to make signing Lowe beneficial? The only infielder who can get it is Reyes...Castillo lost a step or two, Wright is a below average fielder...and Delgado..is Delgado..

    I don't think the Mets need a groundball pitcher, they could use a strikeout or flyball pitcher...
    Wright came up as a sub par defender but has getting better every year. He actually is alot better then you think. He makes more than his share of spetacular plays. His problem is routine plays. Its a wierd thing

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shaolin
    Posts
    6,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Interested in Swisher? Nady? Matsui?
    Nady and hughes for Fmart Evans Parnell and Kunz

    get me omar

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post
    Nady and hughes for Fmart Evans Parnell and Kunz

    get me omar
    Not sure the Mets would do that trade.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,638
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post
    Wright came up as a sub par defender but has getting better every year. He actually is alot better then you think. He makes more than his share of spetacular plays. His problem is routine plays. Its a wierd thing
    I watch my fair share of Met games...my fiance and father-in-law are Met fans...

    but the problem is that Lowe needs guys who can make the routine play....

    I don't think it is a good fit for how the team is currently constructed

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    do the Mets have the infield defense to make signing Lowe beneficial? The only infielder who can get it is Reyes...Castillo lost a step or two, Wright is a below average fielder...and Delgado..is Delgado..

    I don't think the Mets need a groundball pitcher, they could use a strikeout or flyball pitcher...
    Reyes is a very nice fielder, as you said.

    Wright is definitely not a below average fielder, that's a huge stretch on your part. He's not worthy of the Gold Gloves he's won, I'll admit, but he's at least a slightly above average Third Baseman in reality. He's a little error prone, but overall his range is very good by any set of metrics you want to use.

    The other side of the infield (As is, I'm still hopeful we can dump Castillo) is definitely a liability. But using the past as an example, Pelfrey is also a groundball pitcher (When he's on his game at least), and Post All-Star Break Castillo only started 4 of Pelfrey's 14 starts, with more often then not the Mets opting for a better fielder like Argenis Reyes. I would think they would do something similar with Castillo when Lowe starts if he doesn't rebound.

    I don't really care if a pitcher is a flyball, strikeout, or groundball pitcher. As long as he eats innings and doesn't give up many runs, and that's what Derek Lowe does.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 12-24-2008 at 12:01 AM.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Reyes is a very nice fielder, as you said.

    Wright is definitely not a below average fielder, that's a huge stretch on your part. He's not worthy of the Gold Gloves he's won, I'll admit, but he's at least a slightly above average Third Baseman in reality. He's a little error prone, but overall his range is very good by any set of metrics you want to use.

    The other side of the infield (As is, I'm still hopeful we can dump Castillo) is definitely a liability. But using the past as an example, Pelfrey is also a groundball pitcher (When he's on his game at least), and Post All-Star Break Castillo only started 4 of Pelfrey's 14 starts, with more often then not the Mets opting for a better fielder like Argenis Reyes. I would think they would do something similar with Castillo when Lowe starts if he doesn't rebound.

    I don't really care if a pitcher is a flyball, strikeout, or groundball pitcher. As long as he eats innings and doesn't give up many runs, and that's what Derek Lowe does.
    well..I think you may be overstating Wright..I think he may be below avg..but I will settle at an average fielder..

    I am just thinking statistics...if the Mets have..what can be considered a sub par infield defensively why get guys that require the infield defense to eat those innings...and if you already have one groundball pitcher why get a second one to increase the odds...although it doesn't look like Pelfrey had more GB than FB anyway....

    Derek Lowe still needs a defense in order to be an innings eater...

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shaolin
    Posts
    6,538
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    well..I think you may be overstating Wright..I think he may be below avg..but I will settle at an average fielder..

    I am just thinking statistics...if the Mets have..what can be considered a sub par infield defensively why get guys that require the infield defense to eat those innings...and if you already have one groundball pitcher why get a second one to increase the odds...although it doesn't look like Pelfrey had more GB than FB anyway....

    Derek Lowe still needs a defense in order to be an innings eater...
    Im sorry but there is no way you could say DWright is below average, and its not cause im a met fan. The guy can play. He has good range, avg arm and quick feet with good instincts

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us