Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything less than a World Series Championship is a failure!!!

All League

Anything less than a World Series Championship is a failure!!!

As a Yankees fan, I am stoked that we finally have a good starting pitching staff, relief pitching and a great line-up. With that said, anything less than a division title and World Series Championship is an utter FAILURE!

If you choose to outbid the rest of the league for the cream of the crop and have the highest payroll by far, you HAVE TO WIN IT ALL!

If they win, I will celebrate like it's 1999. If they lose, I don't want to be around for the backlash.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AJGunns View Post
    As a Yankees fan, I am stoked that we finally have a good starting pitching staff, relief pitching and a great line-up. With that said, anything less than a division title and World Series Championship is an utter FAILURE!

If you choose to outbid the rest of the league for the cream of the crop and have the highest payroll by far, you HAVE TO WIN IT ALL!

If they win, I will celebrate like it's 1999. If they lose, I don't want to be around for the backlash.
    nothing new...that is the Yankees goal every year

Hall Of Fame
    Captain Buzzkill.

All League
    They only have to win to protect us from the Yankee haters..

what this does is make sure that they will always be in the mix for a championship...this means that those 70 win seasons people were saying were inevitable last season are never going to happen. This is a team that will now win 90+ games every year.

Anything can happen in the playoffs....to think Tex and CC now hand a world series to New York is silly...no one is handed a World Series...

Hall Of Fame

the Yankees have put them selfs in a tough spot, if they win the whole world will cry about them spending 400 million dollars if they lose the whole world will point at them and laugh....with that said i am sure Yankee fans don't care much today

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    the Yankees have put them selfs in a tough spot, if they win the whole world will cry about them spending 400 million dollars if they lose the whole world will point at them and laugh....with that said i am sure Yankee fans don't care much today
    I'd take door number 1. It's not against the rules to invest in your own team.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    yesterday, tomorrow

just win and f what everyone else says

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH View Post
    The goal always was and always will be to win every year, but this year is different. Way different.

Thats the Yankees objective every year. Every year is WS or bust. Nothing new.

Last time the Yankees brought in a big bat and big name pitcher was 1977. They brought in Reggie Jackson and I don't know the pitcher but they won the WS!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Thats the Yankees objective every year. Every year is WS or bust. Nothing new.
    Am I the only one who knows what I am trying to say?

Somebody please clarify.

Banned
    Am I the only one who knows what I am trying to say?

Somebody please clarify.
    Being that our payroll is going to be about the same as last years (Hard to believe.. Right? I'm not even sure if I believe that yet) I don't see how there is any more pressure?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Being that our payroll is going to be about the same as last years (Hard to believe.. Right? I'm not even sure if I believe that yet) I don't see how there is any more pressure?
    agreed

same goal, same pressure, better players on the team.

go get # 27!!!!

All League
    This makes Girardi's seat very hot. Stepping away from the offseason excitement, it would not be shocking to me if the Yankees miss the playoffs again this year. They are in a tough division with the Red Sox and Rays, the past two AL World Series teams.
    While last year Girardi could be cut some slack as the Yankees were in their "youth movement" this year the expectations are higher (or just back to normal for the Yankees). Girardi can't be sure he'll keep his job even if they make the playoffs, but if they miss them again I think his chances of keeping his job are no better than 10%.
    I don't think that's fair but that's the reality.
    Same could probably be said for Cashman, but at least he has somewhat of a track record with the Yankees.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    This makes Girardi's seat very hot. Stepping away from the offseason excitement, it would not be shocking to me if the Yankees miss the playoffs again this year. They are in a tough division with the Red Sox and Rays, the past two AL World Series teams.
    While last year Girardi could be cut some slack as the Yankees were in their "youth movement" this year the expectations are higher (or just back to normal for the Yankees). Girardi can't be sure he'll keep his job even if they make the playoffs, but if they miss them again I think his chances of keeping his job are no better than 10%.
    I don't think that's fair but that's the reality.
    Same could probably be said for Cashman, but at least he has somewhat of a track record with the Yankees.
    Cashman just got a new contract. He's not going anywhere, but I agree with you about Girardi. This team has to make the post season.

Hall Of Fame
    The scary thing is the Rays were so good last year, and yet they really didn't have much in the way of career years from their players.

In fact, one could argue that Crawford and Upton both had down years, and a full season of David Price and they could be much better next season then they were last year, Without doing anything! (And they got a decent looking Outfielder for Jackson)

Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH View Post
    Exactly, even when we don't have a big offseason our goal is to win a championship...Individual achievements and division titles are nice but the only thing that counts in Yankee land is a world series title...

Banned
    Everything is in place for the Yankees to go all the way in 2009, solid lineup, rotation, bullpen, as well as a Democratic President sitting in the White House.

Bring it on!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Last year's payroll and this year's payroll are only similar at the bottom line. We replaced an aged, defensively poor 1B with a switch-hitting power hitter who happens to play a good first base. Do I need to go on about CC and AJ?

Nobody, including myself, thought that the Yankees were winning it all last year. I wasn't shocked or surprised that we didn't make the playoffs.

I would be stunned if they didn't win it all this year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Last time the Yankees brought in a big bat and big name pitcher was 1977. They brought in Reggie Jackson and I don't know the pitcher but they won the WS!

Don Gullett