Thread: Hope only costs $423.5 million

All League

Hope only costs $423.5 million

Merry Christmas Yankee Fans

All League
    No cryin' here. Just stating the obvious. Last year it was all about how youth would bring the Yankees back to the top, this year, it's all about $423.5 million bringing the Bombers back to the top.

I root for the team that actually knows what a young core is, and sticks to it's guns, that's what gives me hope about the franchise I root for.

Again, Merry Christmas.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    No cryin' here. Just stating the obvious. Last year it was all about how youth would bring the Yankees back to the top, this year, it's all about $423.5 million bringing the Bombers back to the top.

I root for the team that actually knows what a young core is, and sticks to it's guns, that's what gives me hope about the franchise I root for.

Again, Merry Christmas.
    iahawkeyejet. Hoping since 1988.

Banned

Again, Merry Christmas.
    Actually it's both. Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes are still going to play big roles in 2008, as well as assorted bullpen arms. The thing about signing free agents, is that you don't give up young talent. Yankees have enough resources to develop young players and sign big time talent. I root for a team knowing they will do WHATEVER it takes to win. As a sports fan I can't ask for anything more, I wish the Jets had the same mind set, I wish the Steinbrenners owned Jets.

and Merry Christmas to you as well iahawkeyejet.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Actually it's both. Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes are still going to play big roles in 2008, as well as assorted bullpen arms. The thing about signing free agents, is that you don't give up young talent. Yankees have enough resources to develop young players and sign big time talent. I root for a team knowing they will do WHATEVER it takes to win. As a sports fan I can't ask for anything more, I wish the Jets had the same mind set, I wish the Steinbrenners owned Jets.

That's what I don't understand about the complaints. It's not like Hughes, Joba, or the bullpen guys (Robertson, Coke, Aceves) were pushed out to sign guys. Hell, even Ian Kennedy still has a shot with this team even though his "star" has fallen.

The guys who FA replaced: Jason Giambi and Mike Mussina and the 5th pitcher slot (various retreads and junk).

So what Youth movement was sacrificed, i'm confused.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason View Post
    That's what I don't understand about the complaints. It's not like Hughes, Joba, or the bullpen guys (Robertson, Coke, Aceves) were pushed out to sign guys. Hell, even Ian Kennedy still has a shot with this team even though his "star" has fallen.

The guys who FA replaced: Jason Giambi and Mike Mussina and the 5th pitcher slot (various retreads and junk).

It's not our problem they don't understand it. It feels great to be a Yankee fan right now. We now a ton of talent under 30, as well as talent on the way.

CC Sabathia - 28 years old
    Chien-Ming Wang - 28 years old
    Joba Chamberlain - 23 years old
    Phil Hughes - 22 years old
    Ian Kennedy - 24 years old
    Robinson Cano - 26 years old
    Nick Swisher - 28 years old
    Brian Bruney - 26 years old
    Mark Teixeira - 28 years old
    David Robertson - 23 years old
    Edwar Ramirez - 27 years old
    Humberto Sanchez - 25 years old
    Brett Gardner - 25 years old
    Jose Veras - 28 years old
    Melky Cabrera - 24 years old
    Phil Coke - 26 years old
    Alfredo Aceves - 26 years old

All League

For one, I'm not complaining. It's the Yankees, that's how baseball works, hell it's the same for the BoSox, Mets, Cubs and Dodgers, just not to the extent of the 2 in the Northeast.

All I'm pointing out is that last year at this time, every one had huge hopes for the Yankees based on their young talent. While the young talent isn't going anywhere, the Yankees success doesn't hinge on it nearly as much as it did a year ago.

Also I never said it the youth movement was sacrificed, I'm just of the opinion it's not nearly as big as most made it out to be.

The Yankees will always put young talent on the back burner compared to outspending everyone for FA's, in my opinion atleast.

All League

Do you think Joba will end up in the rotation or in the pen? I keep hearing the ESPN Radio types saying he has to go back to the pen and he should have never left, but I don't know if I buy that.

All League
    It's not our problem they don't understand it. It feels great to be a Yankee fan right now. We now a ton of talent under 30, as well as talent on the way.

CC Sabathia - 28 years old
    Chien-Ming Wang - 28 years old
    Joba Chamberlain - 23 years old
    Phil Hughes - 22 years old
    Ian Kennedy - 24 years old
    Robinson Cano - 26 years old
    Nick Swisher - 28 years old
    Brian Bruney - 26 years old
    Mark Teixeira - 28 years old
    David Robertson - 23 years old
    Edwar Ramirez - 27 years old
    Humberto Sanchez - 25 years old
    Brett Gardner - 25 years old
    Jose Veras - 28 years old
    Melky Cabrera - 24 years old
    Phil Coke - 26 years old
    Alfredo Aceves - 26 years old
    I really like our bullpen. They were in **** storms all year last year and did alright. We need a solid year out of them this year.

Banned
    For one, I'm not complaining. It's the Yankees, that's how baseball works, hell it's the same for the BoSox, Mets, Cubs and Dodgers, just not to the extent of the 2 in the Northeast.

All I'm pointing out is that last year at this time, every one had huge hopes for the Yankees based on their young talent. While the young talent isn't going anywhere, the Yankees success doesn't hinge on it nearly as much as it did a year ago.

Also I never said it the youth movement was sacrificed, I'm just of the opinion it's not nearly as big as most made it out to be.

The Yankees will always put young talent on the back burner compared to outspending everyone for FA's, in my opinion atleast.
    We still have huge hopes, as of right now Chamberlain and Hughes are our #4 and #5 starters. What is the problem here? We are still going to rely heavily on them.

All Pro
    Do you think Joba will end up in the rotation or in the pen? I keep hearing the ESPN Radio types saying he has to go back to the pen and he should have never left, but I don't know if I buy that.
    It's rotation all the way. Cashman, Girardi, and the Steinbrenners have ALL made it clear the goal is to get Joba in the rotation. Those are the opinions that matter. The only reason he gets bullpen time is because he's so effective there and he has innings limitations.

All League
    It's rotation all the way. Cashman, Girardi, and the Steinbrenners have ALL made it clear the goal is to get Joba in the rotation. Those are the opinions that matter. The only reason he gets bullpen time is because he's so effective there and he has innings limitations.
    I'd say that's the best for both him and the Yanks. If they jerk him back and forth for another year, I think it's definetely hinders his growth as a Pitcher.

All Pro
    I'd say that's the best for both him and the Yanks. If they jerk him back and forth for another year, I think it's definetely hinders his growth as a Pitcher.
    I agree. Although I still have hopes for Hughes, Joba's the guy that has shown the most consistency at the major league level to this date for us. I really hope we don't mess up the guy.

Rookie
    It's a good thing the new stadium was funded by the tax payers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BronxDan View Post
    It's a good thing the new stadium was funded by the tax payers
    Pretty sure Yankees played 800 million of it.

Hall Of Fame
    funny, i got killed for starting the same thread...but the point remains...last year it was lets grow guys...this year its lets spend 400 mil. Yankee fans can spin it any way they want...but last year has to count as a "failed experiment". Not saying its a bad thing, but in NY you cant afford to develop your team over 3 years and still charge crazy ticket prices.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    funny, i got killed for starting the same thread...but the point remains...last year it was lets grow guys...this year its lets spend 400 mil. Yankee fans can spin it any way they want...but last year has to count as a "failed experiment". Not saying its a bad thing, but in NY you cant afford to develop your team over 3 years and still charge crazy ticket prices.
    Isnt this year still lets grow guys if were going to have a bullpen made up mostly home grown guys, a rotation which may feature 2/5th young kids excluding Wang, and were still a year away from Jackson, Montero etc? I think Yank fans have said this 50 million times but the lets grow guys comment doesnt mean you never go after marqee FA's anymore. Its hard to just grow a middle of the lineup hitter or ace. you can still grow guys and develop talent without being the Marlins or Rays

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    Isn't true at all. Last year was not a "failed Experiment".... The Yankees had a plan to attack this FA period because they knew they had money coming off with a new stadium and the most talent hitting the FA pool in a long time. People can say it isn't true all they want, but I truly believe that this was the plan. Cashman has been strong on building the farm, and I believe Hal Steinbrenner is the one that truly believes in that also. Hank is the loud mouth trying to be his dad, but Hal is the guy that runs the team. He seems much more level headed and knows what to do.
    FA signings have nothing to do with our farm system, we gave up NOBODY. People can call it what ever they want, but this is the Yankees way and the baseball people are all saying they are back. Not only the FA signings but they have a very strong Farm system in tact, which makes them even more dangerous with the depth they will have this year to overcome injuries.
    New York is different than other teams/cities. There is no patients whats so ever to allow down years to develop young guys. Tampa bay was able to have bad year after bad year and get their high picks and develop young guys at the major league level. Yankees can't have a down year where they are a top 5 draft pick.
    Especially when you have A-Rod, Jeter, Mo, Posada and company that are older but still can play at a high level. That wouldn't be fair to those guys to just completely stop trying to win.

The thing the Yankees were doing last year was they didn't want to TRADE young talent. And they didn't feel last years FA players were worth the money, as they were some older declining players that would of fell into the panic mode Yankees after the 2001 WS.
    The Players they are bringing in are in their primes and aren't declining yet and have a good 3-4 years before it may start.

I am very happy right now, Mark Teixeira was a great signing. Yankees people see him as another Tino Martinez, Tino was the man also!
    First time in a while we have a strong defensive/offensive 1B.
    And first time in a while our rotation is so strong from the top to bottom. (assuming we sign Pettitte)
    Last edited by k.Rhodes25; 12-24-2008 at 10:45 PM.