Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comment from Boland's blog describes Mangini perfectly

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Comment from Boland's blog describes Mangini perfectly

I just saw this comment on one of the entries from Bolands Blog posted by "Mr. Green T" (Not sure if that is anyone here) and just thought his take on Mangini was a nice little read and IMO its dead on on how Mangini is.

[QUOTE]My take on Mangini is this: He's too locked into his head and not enough in the balls. Mangini is an excellent mental coach. He is thorough in his preparation, research, analysis, and in the breakdown of opponent’s strength and weaknesses down to the smallest detail. He looks at everything and double checks it with scientific precision.

He makes a game plan like an equation. Two plus two equals four. He would be correct in his game plan, mathematically. Two plus two indeed equals four. Unfortunately if the opponent adds one to the equation, Mangini still insists it equals four. He's done his math and that's what it is.

In his head it can't change, that's why his half time adjustments always equal four. Always. He refuses to believe his eyes, because his math states otherwise. "Game plan specific" equals four. If you take out the human factor his plan is perfect. That's not football. Football takes balls.

His preparation cannot make the necessary adjustments because it's already been factored into his game plan. He's mathematically locked into four. That's why he always has that look of a fourth grader standing at the blackboard unsure as to why the answer isn't correct. Or a kid that doesn't understand why the square peg does not fit into the round hole. He never will make that leap of faith to change his answer.

He is a “game plan specific” version of the “workout warrior.” He looks great in the classroom. In the meetings he is a freakin’ genius. His game plans on Saturdays are Super Bowl perfect. Once he gets on the field he can’t recognize that the equation has changed and four is no longer the answer. He’s is like Gholston. Thinking way too much and not allowing himself to react to what’s going on around him.

He’s mentally crippled into waiting for the answer of four. Which is exactly how many games we’ve dropped since Tennessee (Buffalo was rounded up from 3.6). [/QUOTE]

What do you guys think?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spot on.

I'd only add that this year it seems like Mangini did the algebra one time, got the answer "four" and has been waiting for it to be the answer the whole season... not just one game at a time.

He's brought the same "answer" into each game, nothing changing from game-to-game and now... every other "kid in the class" knows Mangini's math...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he were a "mental coach" he would get the idea that players feed on him.

he is a wet noodle, scoring 3 points in Seattle after losses to Denver and SF tell you what you need to know.

He has been outcoached in SF, NE and Seattle. I see nothing of substance.

[B][SIZE="3"]He is the equal of Walton and Coslett. [/SIZE][/B]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't realize it took a genius to figure that 2+2 = 4. I figure that means that i must be a Genius.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty accurate, down to details elsewhere in his life. I am eating 4 hamburgers. 4. 4. No, I am not fat. I am eating 4 hamburgers.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that's accurate.

But...this defense goes to eleven.
    Last edited by 32green; 12-24-2008 at 08:08 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Good read, but I think the poster gives Mangini WAAAY to much credit.

He's not that smart.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;2930531]Good read, but I think the poster gives Mangini WAAAY to much credit.

He's not that smart.[/QUOTE]

lol yeah, but just the overall concept on how mangini thinks was dead on. Plus I think he is saying Mangini thinks his plans are superbowl perfect and blabla. But yea he is just too stubborn to change anything and thinks it will eventually work no matter what.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree somewhat, but I think I have a better anology. Mangini is like the apprentice to a great Chef who received rave reviews when preparing his mentors recipes. But the apprentice Chef did not complete his apprenticeship because his ego was out of control and after watching his Mentor for several years and memorizing the recipes, he figured he could run his own restaraunt. The apprentice enjoyed great success initially only because he was using all of his mentor's recipes. But like all recipes other rival Chefs figure out how to prepare mentor's hot new recipes. The Mentor remained very succesful because he went on to create new great recipes. The apprentice, however, kept preparing the same old dishes and became so predictable that you new what would be on the menu before reading it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;2930583]I agree somewhat, but I think I have a better anology. Mangini is like the apprentice to a great Chef who received rave reviews when preparing his mentors recipes. But the apprentice Chef did not complete his apprenticeship because his ego was out of control and after watching his Mentor for several years and memorizing the recipes, he figured he could run his own restaraunt. The apprentice enjoyed great success initially only because he was using all of his mentor's recipes. But like all recipes other rival Chefs figure out how to prepare mentor's hot new recipes. The Mentor remained very succesful because he went on to create new great recipes. The apprentice, however, kept preparing the same old dishes and became so predictable that you new what would be on the menu before reading it.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the plot to the movie "Ratatouille"?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW. He hit the nail on the head.

I have been talking about Mangini a similar way "Eric this isn't a research project, or math problem". But I guess I could never put the exact way I feel into words, and he just nailed it. Thats sig worthy, because it is why Eric could be so good--But why he can not get the jets to a Superbowl right now. I have never been so impressed with our coaching staff, yet so dissapointed at the same time. Btw, Boland has been the best Jets writer in a while. He is the perfect medium in between the fans, and the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kerry Rhodes;2930755]WOW. He hit the nail on the head.

I have been talking about Mangini a similar way "Eric this isn't a research project, or math problem". But I guess I could never put the exact way I feel into words, and he just nailed it. Thats sig worthy, because it is why Eric could be so good--But why he can not get the jets to a Superbowl right now. I have never been so impressed with our coaching staff, yet so dissapointed at the same time. Btw, Boland has been the best Jets writer in a while. He is the perfect medium in between the fans, and the team.[/QUOTE]

yeah i agree, he earns his money on his day job.

he rocks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kerry Rhodes;2930755]WOW. He hit the nail on the head.

I have been talking about Mangini a similar way "Eric this isn't a research project, or math problem". But I guess I could never put the exact way I feel into words, and he just nailed it. Thats sig worthy, because it is why Eric could be so good--But why he can not get the jets to a Superbowl right now. I have never been so impressed with our coaching staff, yet so dissapointed at the same time. Btw, Boland has been the best Jets writer in a while. He is the perfect medium in between the fans, and the team.[/QUOTE]

Boland's very good, but I still put Dave Hutchinson ahead of him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spot on analysis. Nail on the head.

That IS Mangini. Smart guy, too much thought, not enough guts, not enough instinct.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude Mangini was outcoached by Tom freakin Cable!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Darth Vader;2930758]yeah i agree, he earns his money on his day job.

he rocks.[/QUOTE]

Boland didn't write that. It was a comment on his blog.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;2930449]I just saw this comment on one of the entries from Bolands Blog posted by "Mr. Green T" (Not sure if that is anyone here) and just thought his take on Mangini was a nice little read and IMO its dead on on how Mangini is.

What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

[B]That's why he always has that look of a fourth grader standing at the blackboard unsure as to why the answer isn't correct.[/B]

That, my friend, is spot on :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE][B]That's why he always has that look of a fourth grader standing at the blackboard unsure as to why the answer isn't correct.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Classic! The assessment is spot on, this is exactly why we may look great in the first half of a game and look completely clueless in the second half! Mangini has Zero ability to assess a situation and adapt!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't agree with this for the simple fact that if he had put together a better gameplan the Jets would have scored MORE than 17 against Denver, 14 against SF, 31 against Buffalo, and 3 against Seattle.

I also think that if he's as genius as you all make it sound, the defense would have figured out a way to disguise keeping 3 at the LOS and keeping 8 back in coverage.

The ENTIRE football world knows that what is coming when you play the Jets. We saw it right on display during the 2nd half of the Patsies game, and yet Mangini BELIEVES no one ever thought of that.

That's pretty STUPID if you ask me.........

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;2930915]
    I also think that if he's as genius as [B][I]you all make it sound[/I][/B], the defense would have figured out a way to disguise keeping 3 at the LOS and keeping 8 back in coverage.

[/QUOTE]

wtf