Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comment from Boland's blog describes Mangini perfectly

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;2930449]I just saw this comment on one of the entries from Bolands Blog posted by "Mr. Green T" (Not sure if that is anyone here) and just thought his take on Mangini was a nice little read and IMO its dead on on how Mangini is.

What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]actually i like that a lot. say what ever you want about herm but when it came to half time he adjusted the team a lot better.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Too Conservative

[QUOTE=Mainejet;2930915]I don't agree with this for the simple fact that if he had put together a better gameplan the Jets would have scored MORE than 17 against Denver, 14 against SF, 31 against Buffalo, and 3 against Seattle.

I also think that if he's as genius as you all make it sound, the defense would have figured out a way to disguise keeping 3 at the LOS and keeping 8 back in coverage.

The ENTIRE football world knows that what is coming when you play the Jets. We saw it right on display during the 2nd half of the Patsies game, and yet Mangini BELIEVES no one ever thought of that.

That's pretty STUPID if you ask me.........[/QUOTE]

Agrre. Mangini knowing his team ( weaknesses ) better than any other, is too conservative to take chances ex. run blitzing, Rather he will watch the other team march slowly down the field and hope they mess up.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B]"He makes a game plan like an equation. Two plus two equals four. He would be correct in his game plan, mathematically. Two plus two indeed equals four. Unfortunately if the opponent adds one to the equation, Mangini still insists it equals four. He's done his math and that's what it is."[/B]

Perfect example of this is our 1st drives of the game, every play is executed perfect and we march down the field and score. It's always our best drive of the game.

Then the other team ADJUSTS ( adds a one to the equation) after the 1st possession!!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this guy is dead on when it comes to Mangini AND when properly considered in context, it points to why we should KEEP him and not fire him. I think Mangini is strategically GIFTED as this comment points out. I think he is tactically WEAK. So HE and HIS BOSS should play to his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses. Give him coordinators/assistants that are sound tacticians and this thing will be rolling. We have to hope that he learns from his personnel management bungles, but I think he is worth it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B]"He is a “game plan specific” version of the “workout warrior.” "[/B]

This is very accurate

Just because you have huge muscles and a fast 40 time doesn't translate to TDs/sacks. Spending more time in the gym doesn't always make your team win.

Just because you watched all the opponents film and memorized all their plays doesn't translate to Ws. Spending more time in the film room doesn't always makes your team win.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=szJetsNovaKnicks;2931476][B]"He is a “game plan specific” version of the “workout warrior.” "[/B]

This is very accurate

Just because you have huge muscles and a fast 40 time doesn't translate to TDs/sacks. Spending more time in the gym doesn't always make your team win.

Just because you watched all the opponents film and memorized all their plays doesn't translate to Ws. Spending more time in the film room doesn't always makes your team win.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the kind of guy who you need as an assistant on your team. Breaking down the film, devising a great game plan is great preparation and important in planning for Sunday. But, that needs to be implemented during the game based on unknown factors that happen at real time speed. Its becoming more and more clear that Mangini isn't ready for that yet. I'm not so down on him as to think that he'll never be ready, but right now, he's not there.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsOptimist;2931443]I think this guy is dead on when it comes to Mangini AND when properly considered in context, it points to why we should KEEP him and not fire him. I think Mangini is strategically GIFTED as this comment points out. I think he is tactically WEAK. So HE and HIS BOSS should play to his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses. Give him coordinators/assistants that are sound tacticians and this thing will be rolling. We have to hope that he learns from his personnel management bungles, but I think he is worth it.[/QUOTE]

The questionis will mangini's ego allow him to let his coordinators change the gameplan mid-game? I'm not too sure about that.