Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SI.com Truth & Rumors: Cowher on Jets' radar?

SI.com Truth & Rumors: Cowher on Jets' radar?

[url]http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/82530?eref=sircrc&eref=fromSI[/url]

League sources say the Browns remain the odds-on choice to land Bill Cowher, 51, who played in Cleveland and began his coaching career there under Marty Schottenheimer. But that was before the Jets' season went into free fall, before they frittered away an 8-3 record. Eric Mangini too often is a silent bystander, folding his arms and chewing his gum while his team under-performs.

New York Newsday

Bottom line is I don't think Woody is going to fire Mangini this season no matter what happens on Sunday.

Jets

I agree that EM shouldn't be fired this season. Romeo C. on the other hand yes! And all the staff and managment has to go. However Cleveland may want to see how far the Pats go before they make a desision on Cowher. I see Scott Polloi, Josh Mcdaniel and Matt Cassell all going to Detroit. Josh may get a title like Assistant Head Coach and rermain the OC. He's only 29

Banned
    I agree, lets just keep Mangini for another year. Watch Cowher go to Cleveland, and then after Mangini makes yet ANOTHER mess next year out of this team... then we can replace him with a coach nobody has heard of that will want to completely rebuild the team... instead of bringing in Cowher the most experience and capable coach that'll be available for the next couple of years, who just happens to have made his bones coach teams that were built to run the ball and play great defense.

Cowher would be a terrible fit. I say, another year of pulling my hair out watching Mantits flounder, then roll the dice on another inexperienced coach. That'll do the trick... should keep Jet fans neck deep in mediocrity for at least the next 5 years, easy.

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=hatnlvr;2930898]Bottom line is I don't think Woody is going to fire Mangini this season no matter what happens on Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I believe you are dead on here.:steamin:

All League
    there is nothing in this world more annoying than watching that fat-f*ck chew that pack of gum with his arm folded and that "what the F*ck just happened" look on his face.

lose to the dolphins .....i dont care, just get rid of the fat bum.

nobody can make me believe he is not the worst coach in the nfl.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;2930898]Bottom line is I don't think Woody is going to fire Mangini this season [B]no matter what happens on Sunday[/B].[/QUOTE]

Sorry to say you could not be more wrong...what happens on Sunday will absolutely play into Mangini's future.

I have spoken to acquaintances affiliated with the NFL, and they have told me that the Jets as well as the League are extremely concerned about the PSL situation.

Pay no attention to their public posturing...they are worried.

The state of the economy, the failure of the PSL Auction and the unrest of the fanbase are all major factors heading into Week #17 and beyond.

And make no mistake...the League and the Jets monitor fan websites such as this one.

They know and are concerned about the feelings of the teams most rapid supporters.

There is a definitive belief that if the Jets stumble on Sunday, then major changes will be a primary consideration.

That's not me speaking..that's the factual statements of people in the know.

[QUOTE=jxc;2930885][url]http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/82530?eref=sircrc&eref=fromSI[/url]

League sources say the Browns remain the odds-on choice to land Bill Cowher, 51, who played in Cleveland and began his coaching career there under Marty Schottenheimer. But that was before the Jets' season went into free fall, before they frittered away an 8-3 record. [B]Eric Mangini too often is a silent bystander, folding his arms and chewing his gum while his team under-performs.[/B]

New York Newsday[/QUOTE]

I just want to punch him in his fat face and make him choke on that gum when I see him on the sideline. He disgusts me with his nonchalant attitude on the side line. No emotion. Its like he could care less.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;2930898]Bottom line is I don't think Woody is going to fire Mangini this season no matter what happens on Sunday.[/QUOTE]

I think if we lose to Miami this week and a scenario unfolds that would have put us in the playoffs that Mangini could be gone. But only for someone like Bill Cowher. I would love to see Bill Cowher here, the last time we brought in a coach of his caliber (Parcells) things turned out prety good. But I am torn I will be rooting to beat miami and make the playoffs, I just can't do it any other way.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=penny2moss;2930961]I think if we lose to Miami this week and a scenario unfolds that would have put us in the playoffs that Mangini could be gone. But only for someone like Bill Cowher. I would love to see Bill Cowher here, the last time we brought in a coach of his caliber (Parcells) things turned out prety good. [B]But I am torn I will be rooting to beat miami and make [/B][B]the playoffs, I just can't do it any other way[/B].[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% but i dont see a win happening nor do i see NE or Bal losing

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

You're forgetting a very important thing:

Brett Favre holds all of Woody's PSL cards.

If Brett won't play for Mangini but would play for an experienced, respected head coach, it's lights-out for Eric.

The PSL bills are ready to be sent. They're licking the envelopes on New Year's Day. If we're out of the playoffs, if the Fish make it in at our expense, and if it's clear that a 1-4 finale means that the players have quit on Eric, there won't be a Brinks truck big enough to hold all the money that Johnson will throw at Coach Cowher.

Favre + Cowher = A PSL Frenzy.

Clemens + Mangini = A Mountain of Debt.

SAR I

All League
    I agree with a lot of the sentiments posted here. But for me it comes down to one thing; hopes...

In the beginning of the season we thought we were a solid wild card team. Brady got hurt, and out for the season, and at the worst we should have gotten a wild card berth. At 8-3 with 5 games left not making the playoffs would have been a travisty for any team. But considering we were healthy all year with no major injuries highlights the defencientcies of this team. I think the HC should be fired along with the offensive coordinator and of course Sutton. We had enough talent to win this season, and with the 8-3 record even with some lucky wins we should've gotten in, any Owner under those circumstances should fire the coach, the Jets are no different.

[QUOTE=Phoenixx;2930956]Sorry to say you could not be more wrong...what happens on Sunday will absolutely play into Mangini's future.

I have spoken to acquaintances affiliated with the NFL, and they have told me that the Jets as well as the League are extremely concerned about the PSL situation.

The state of the economy, the failure of the PSL Auction and the unrest of the fanbase are all major factors heading into Week #17 and beyond.

And make no mistake...the League and the Jets monitor fan websites such as this one.

They know and are concerned about the feelings of the teams most rapid supporters.

There is a definitive belief that if the Jets stumble on Sunday, then major changes will be a primary consideration.

That's not me speaking..that's the factual statements of people in the know.[/QUOTE]

I'm feeling better. From reading your posts, I believe you are a standup person. Sooth also made an interesting post in one of the other threads. I at least have some hope that Woody will do the right thing.

All League
    I don't think you guys know Woody. Woody has shown that he will upgrade a position on this team if a better option is available, (Favre/Penny). If a PROVEN commodity is available why would you continue to maintain the status quo when there is more talent on this team than in at least 24 other teams?

You wouldn't run a business that way and you certainly shouldn't run a football team that way.

If I am Woody, I have already made an inquiry to Cowher's availability and contract parameters. If its possible that he comes here, than Mangini is informed Monday morning that the team has decided to go in another direction. If Cowher receives a better offer from somewhere else after we have parted ways with Mangini (i.e. Yanks/Sox) than there are more than a few options available, all better than what we have witnessed this season. Period.

Ask yourself this question, if you suck at your job and are detrimental in you company achieving its modest goals, how long do you think you keep your job? You wouldn't, and you certainly wouldn't get a year's salary to help minimize your anguish.

Accountability.

I also believe Mangini will return barring a total blowout by the Dolphins. Look for the Jets to fire both coordinators and possibly some other position coaches . Even with the PSL problem hanging over his head I don't see Woody paying Cowher 7M+ per year.

All League
    Change is coming and it will not be tweaking the staff.

All Pro
    Let's just suffer through another year of Mangini and make a play for Mike Holmgren after he takes his year off.

Veteran
    The Jets for all practical purposes are built as a "win now " team and would need a experienced "win now " coach , ala Cowher

All Pro
    Cowher will not come unless the Jets get rid of Mike Tannenbaum. Cowher is going to want control of front office moves. Tannenbaum has done a very good job and would be a bad move for the Jets to get rid of. Steve Spagnulo would be a great choice and would not want front office pull, the only bad thing is he would prefer 4-3 defensive personal while we are now equipped more toward the 3-4. So then you talk another 2-3 years to turn this around.

[QUOTE=Phoenixx;2930956]Sorry to say you could not be more wrong...what happens on Sunday will absolutely play into Mangini's future.

That's not me speaking..that's the factual statements of people in the know.[/QUOTE]

It's good to know the team might make decisions based on mob mentality :rolleyes: