Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SI.com Truth & Rumors: Cowher on Jets' radar?

All League
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;2931043]Cowher will not come unless the Jets get rid of Mike Tannenbaum. Cowher is going to want control of front office moves. Tannenbaum has done a very good job and would be a bad move for the Jets to get rid of. Steve Spagnulo would be a great choice and would not want front office pull, the only bad thing is he would prefer 4-3 defensive personal while we are now equipped more toward the 3-4. So then you talk another 2-3 years to turn this around.[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is true. Tanny has a knack for the salary cap and obviously has exceptional negotiating skills. True leaders surround themselves with people wo excel in areas they are weak. Cowher and Tanny would be a perfect fit. Tanny has never appeared to be a self-centered, "living in the limelight" kind of guy. I think he could work with Cowher as GM knowing fully well that Cowher has final say.

I am not saying that Spagnulo wouldn't be a great choice, but I don't think we eliminate Cowher because of the GM situation.
    Last edited by pcola; 12-24-2008 at 09:58 AM.

All League
    [QUOTE=Postseason;2931047]It's good to know the team might make decisions based on mob mentality :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I don't believe it is mob mentality. Mangini and staff will be graded on its 3 years of work. Has the staff shown growth, have players developed under their leadership and can or will this team grow into a contender. The evaluation of these 3 question will seal their fate.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Egg19;2930968]I agree 100% but i dont see a win happening nor do i see NE or Bal losing[/QUOTE]

I think there is a very good chance we beat the dolphins on sunday. In the history of this franchise, when everyone writes off the Jets and they get no respect they wind up playing thier best. It's when they start winning and expectations are raised is when they fall flat on thier face. Also the dolphins have gotten by on a soft schedule this year like we did in '06. I believe they are only 2-4 against teams over .500.

All Pro
    [quote=pcola;2931057]I don't think this is true. Tanny has a knack for the salary cap and obviously has exceptional negotiating skills. True leaders surround themselves with people wo excel in areas they are weak. Cowher and Tanny would be a perfect fit. Tanny has never appeared to be a self-centered, "living in the limelight" kind of guy. I think he could work with Cowher as GM knowing fully well that Cowher has final say.

I am not saying that Spagnulo wouldn't be a great choice, but I don't think we eliminate Cowher because of the GM situation.[/quote]

I think it would be a slap at Tannenbaum who has done a very good job and is really growing into the position. I am not sure the public persona that Tannenbaum does not care about complete control is really true. We all have egos and I am not sure he would be happy giving up any control.

All League
    [QUOTE=Bocajetfan68;2931069]I don't believe it is mob mentality. Mangini and staff will be graded on its 3 years of work. Has the staff shown growth, have players developed under their leadership and can or will this team grow into a contender. The evaluation of these 3 question will seal their fate.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree. I seriously doubt ANYONE gets graded out due to the results of one game. Those calling for him to get fired if we lose/ keep him if we win is just ridiculous. The fact that the Jets pissed away a multiple game lead with the schedule they had is unforgiveable.

IMO, the only reason this team has 9 wins now is due to our schedule. Had we had to play the NFC East instead of the NFC West, we would have two fewer wins. Couple that with the fact that if we would have had to play Pitt instead of Cincy we would be looking at a 6 - 9 record right now. Had Buffalo or KC not given away certain victories, then we are 4 - 11.

I am sorry, effective coaching is not "putting your team in a position to win a game when the other team hands a win to you." Effective coaching is figuring out what works, implementing that. When other teams adjust and make this plan not work as well, than re-evaluate and adapt.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;2930956]Sorry to say you could not be more wrong...what happens on Sunday will absolutely play into Mangini's future.

I have spoken to acquaintances affiliated with the NFL, and they have told me that the Jets as well as the League are extremely concerned about the PSL situation.

Pay no attention to their public posturing...they are worried.

The state of the economy, the failure of the PSL Auction and the unrest of the fanbase are all major factors heading into Week #17 and beyond.

And make no mistake...the League and the Jets monitor fan websites such as this one.

They know and are concerned about the feelings of the teams most rapid supporters.

There is a definitive belief that if the Jets stumble on Sunday, then major changes will be a primary consideration.

That's not me speaking..that's the factual statements of people in the know.[/QUOTE]
    That is great to hear.

Hey, I always wondered if Woody has found SAR's posts to be reflective of that Yankees "win at all costs" attittude.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=penny2moss;2931076]I think there is a very good chance we beat the dolphins on sunday. In the history of this franchise, when everyone writes off the Jets and they get no respect they wind up playing thier best. It's when they start winning and expectations are raised is when they fall flat on thier face. Also the dolphins have gotten by on a soft schedule this year like we did in '06. I believe they are only 2-4 against teams over .500.[/QUOTE]

:clapper::clapper: :clapper:

Woody has to either fire Mangini or give him a contract extension. You cannot have a lame duck coach going into next year.

[QUOTE=chrisjets23;2931112]Woody has to either fire Mangini or give him a contract extension. You cannot have a lame duck coach going into next year.[/QUOTE]

Lame Duck=Jets QB situation since Joe

[QUOTE=HERDFAN1;2931026]Let's just suffer through another year of Mangini and make a play for Mike Holmgren after he takes his year off.[/QUOTE]

:yes::yes::yes:

I've been saying it since Sunday evening!

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=SAR I;2930977]You're forgetting a very important thing:

Brett Favre holds all of Woody's PSL cards.

If Brett won't play for Mangini but would play for an experienced, respected head coach, it's lights-out for Eric.

The PSL bills are ready to be sent. They're licking the envelopes on New Year's Day. If we're out of the playoffs, if the Fish make it in at our expense, and if it's clear that a 1-4 finale means that the players have quit on Eric, there won't be a Brinks truck big enough to hold all the money that Johnson will throw at Coach Cowher.

Favre + Cowher = A PSL Frenzy.

Clemens + Mangini = A Mountain of Debt.

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    Sar you are 100% correct sir. It's all about the $$$$$..

[QUOTE=SAR I;2930977]You're forgetting a very important thing:

Brett Favre holds all of Woody's PSL cards.

If Brett won't play for Mangini but would play for an experienced, respected head coach, it's lights-out for Eric.

The PSL bills are ready to be sent. They're licking the envelopes on New Year's Day. If we're out of the playoffs, if the Fish make it in at our expense, and if it's clear that a 1-4 finale means that the players have quit on Eric, there won't be a Brinks truck big enough to hold all the money that Johnson will throw at Coach Cowher.

Favre + Cowher = A PSL Frenzy.

Clemens + Mangini = A Mountain of Debt.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Agreed that the PSL situation is in play big time. Disagree that Favre is a factor. Most Jets fans were thrilled to get Favre but after watching Favre could care less what he says. Most of us recognize he is pretty much washed up and don't want him back. I would love to get Cowher or Spags but don't wish to see Favre back under any circumstances. It was a nice try but a fail.

All League
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;2931102]I think it would be a slap at Tannenbaum who has done a very good job and is really growing into the position. I am not sure the public persona that Tannenbaum does not care about complete control is really true. We all have egos and I am not sure he would be happy giving up any control.[/QUOTE]

I think if it is presented in an appropriate manner, both sides can work together. I honestly believe that the only way you are going to survive in this city with the Giants and Yanks, is to bring in a coach that is larger than life. It was Parcells, who Tanny worked with extensively, and it can be Cowher. If we went for Spagnulo, how long do you think it would take Cimini and Co. to throw him under the bus because

A. The Giants keep winning without him, and
    B. The Jets Defense has a couple of bad games

Cowher has been in the NFL as a coach for over a decade and has never been fired. (More importantly, he was never in a position to deserve being fired.) He develops defensive talent. Period. We have a lot of the pieces already on this team that are the type of team that Cowher coached in Pitt. We just need him to mold them into a championship caliper team.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=LI JET FAN;2931007]I also believe Mangini will return barring a total blowout by the Dolphins. Look for the Jets to fire both coordinators and possibly some other position coaches . [B]Even with the PSL problem hanging over his head I don't see Woody paying Cowher 7M+ per year[/B].[/QUOTE]

You have a 100 million dollar payroll, and new stadium to finance, and you think an extra 2-3 million for the head coach is the deciding factor?

Cowher is a great fit. He uses the 3-4, so personel is in place. He will have the players instant repect. He can motivate a team (which this team clearly lacks). He brings credibility to the organization. He instills hope and confidence, which sells tickets. You think Woody risks all that over an extra 2 million per year for a HC?

gotta get my dude cowher

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2931216]Too me this Miami Game means nothing if it doesn't get us in the playoffs, and I don't believe it will, I believe that ships done sailed, this epic collapse is complete, ended on a snowy field in Seattle, and teletubby needs to walk the plank

[B]PS. To miss this opportunity to get Bill Cowher would be a disaster[/B]Integrity is right, we won't have another shot at a coach of this caliber anytime soon

Whiffing on Cowher in this spot is the type of mistake that haunts an organization for a long time, its sort of like whiffing on a franchise QB in the draft .. in both cases those opportunities are very rare and you better pounce when you have the chance, or you may not get it again, not anytime soon[/QUOTE]

You have a chance to get a legit HC, one of the elite, you take it. You don't screw it up so you could give Mangini an extra year to figure it out.

Banned
    [QUOTE=jackhuntr;2931041]The Jets for all practical purposes are built as a "win now " team and would need a experienced "win now " coach , ala Cowher[/QUOTE]

That is absolutely ridiculous.

How the hell are the Jets a "win now" team? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;2931043]Cowher will not come unless the Jets get rid of Mike Tannenbaum. Cowher is going to want control of front office moves. Tannenbaum has done a very good job and would be a bad move for the Jets to get rid of. [B]Steve Spagnulo would be a great choice and would not want front office pull, the only bad thing is he would prefer 4-3 defensive personal while we are now equipped more toward the 3-4. So then you talk another 2-3 years to turn this around.[/B][/QUOTE]

Rex Ryan would be the better choice if we didn't want to go with Cowher for the GM reason. I also feel like Cowher would be alright with Mr. T playing GM alongside him. I assume Mangini and Tannenbaum discuss the draft/free agency coming to a mutual decision. Considering Mr. T's excellent body of work thus far I don't see Cowher having a problem working side by side with him as an equal JMO.

I'm not doubting Cowher or anything, but there is no way that this fanbase would have the patience with him for as long as it took him to get the Steelers a ring.

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2931368]Orange, I would agree if he didn't come with his resume, but his track record buys him a lot more time than someone who has no track record of success to point too, like Mangini

For example, I believe Parcells could have coached the Jets as long as he wanted and no-one was going to call for his head, no matter how long it took within reason, because his track record speaks for itself

I think Cowher, to some degree, is a similar situation

Everybody knows he can win, and with the right team he can win it all[/QUOTE]

Perhaps...maybe the better question would be "would Cowher have the patience with NY?"