Thread: Eric Mangini: Arrogance without profile

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Eric Mangini: Arrogance without profile

Two stories from a great Newsday Sports Blog called the Final Score.

[url]http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/columnists/jimbaumbach/blog/[/url]

[B][SIZE="4"]Eric Mangini: Arrogance without profile[/SIZE][/B]

Mangini is a great example of what I like to call "arrogant without profile." He's as arrogant as they come, but except for getting the Jets' job, he really hasn't accomplished much. I'm sure you know people in your life who are arrogant without profile. I know I do.

Arrogance by itself doesn't offend me. If you can do something well, why the heck not be arrogant about it.

There's also the other kind of arrogance: arrogance that masks deep insecurity. I know people like that, too, and I'm sure you do also.

I don't think that's Mangini's problem. Self-loving appears to be one of his strengths.

If you listened to Mangini last week explain how much "research" his staff had done on how to deal with West Coast trips, you'd swear in his mind this research was on par with what they are doing at Johns Hopkins to fight cancer. He just couldn't admit he had no idea what to do and was just grasping at straws.

The Jets went 0-4 out West. But I'm sure if you asked Mangini, he'd still defend this "research."

Maybe if he gets fired he can publish all that research in book form. He'll have the time.

[B][SIZE="4"]Why are the Jets collapsing?[/SIZE][/B]

It's simpleThey don't believe in the coach because he doesn't believe in them.

Look at Mangini's three bad calls from Sunday. They all give the same message: I don't believe in you guys.

-- Doesn't go for it on 4th-and-1 on the opening drive even though the Seahawks had shown no ability to stop the Jets yet;
    -- Doesn't go for 50-yard field goal after Feely hit one from 45 that would have been good from 60 because he's worried about field position if the kick is no good;
    -- Goes for it on 4th down with two-minutes plus left instead of punting, this telling defense he doesn't think it can stop the Seahawks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Similar to the Bush administration...based on certainty without evidence.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;2931322]Two stories from a great Newsday Sports Blog called the Final Score.

[url]http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/columnists/jimbaumbach/blog/[/url]

[B][SIZE="4"]Eric Mangini: Arrogance without profile[/SIZE][/B]

Mangini is a great example of what I like to call "arrogant without profile." He's as arrogant as they come, but except for getting the Jets' job, he really hasn't accomplished much. I'm sure you know people in your life who are arrogant without profile. I know I do.

Arrogance by itself doesn't offend me. If you can do something well, why the heck not be arrogant about it.

There's also the other kind of arrogance: arrogance that masks deep insecurity. I know people like that, too, and I'm sure you do also.

I don't think that's Mangini's problem. Self-loving appears to be one of his strengths.

If you listened to Mangini last week explain how much "research" his staff had done on how to deal with West Coast trips, you'd swear in his mind this research was on par with what they are doing at Johns Hopkins to fight cancer. He just couldn't admit he had no idea what to do and was just grasping at straws.

The Jets went 0-4 out West. But I'm sure if you asked Mangini, he'd still defend this "research."

Maybe if he gets fired he can publish all that research in book form. He'll have the time.

[B][SIZE="4"]Why are the Jets collapsing?[/SIZE][/B]

It's simpleThey don't believe in the coach because he doesn't believe in them.

Look at Mangini's three bad calls from Sunday. They all give the same message: I don't believe in you guys.

-- Doesn't go for it on 4th-and-1 on the opening drive even though the Seahawks had shown no ability to stop the Jets yet;
    -- Doesn't go for 50-yard field goal after Feely hit one from 45 that would have been good from 60 because he's worried about field position if the kick is no good;
    -- Goes for it on 4th down with two-minutes plus left instead of punting, this telling defense he doesn't think it can stop the Seahawks.[/QUOTE]

I think this pretty well sums it up. Mangini is the type of guy that learned he needed to keep a certain facade to get into the elite coaching ranks.

He's used that facade well. I got him the Jets job.

However, that FACADE only goes so far. As always, and everyone knows this, coaching is about WINNING.

If you don't win, they WILL see through you.

2007 was the very EPITOME of arrogance. He thought he could just cut one of the best players on the offensive line and STILL keep the team competitive. Now, you would have thought he had learned that lesson the HARD way?

He didn't. He knew he needed more talent on the team, and he made sure of that adding many expensive free agents.

What he didn't learn was that coaching the VERY same way he coached last season, wouldn't work for the same reasons it didn't work last season.

He also forgot that Jets fans are not interested in having another Herm Edwards onboard. They hated Herms conservative nature and his unwillingness to go for the jugular when the had his opponent down.

That's the SAME way Mangini has been. He's a conservative coach who is incredibly ARROGANT and the two sort of work against each other.

You'd think if he were arrogant, he'd coach and playcall as though he had a pair? He doesn't. He just acts arrogant, as though he knows more than anyone else in the freaking world. But when his team takes the field, he plays NOT TO LOSE.

Either way I do not care anymore. I want him out.

BTW, what everyone is saying about it being unwise to miss out on a GREAT coach when he's available? They're RIGHT. Woody need to move on this. He KNOWS what he has in Mangini. He also KNOWS what he will have if he hires Bill Cowher.

You do the math........

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;2931322]

-- Goes for it on 4th down with two-minutes plus left instead of punting, this telling defense he doesn't think it can stop the Seahawks.[/QUOTE]

Each one of those decisions is terrible in its own right.

Three poor decisions like this in one game is inexcusable.

Last week was the worst coached NFL game that I have seen in the last 5 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2931477]Each one of those decisions is terrible in its own right.

Three poor decisions like this in one game is inexcusable.

Last week was the worst coached NFL game that I have seen in the last 5 years.[/QUOTE]

As much as I'd like to agree with you on that one, I cannot.

Remember, the Patsies in the SB?

That was definitely one of the worst coached games I've seen in recent memory. It smacked of Bellichick's arrogance.

Now maybe we know where Mangini got that bad trait?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;2931535]As much as I'd like to agree with you on that one, I cannot.

Remember, the Patsies in the SB?

[B]That was definitely one of the worst coached games I've seen in recent memory.[/B] It smacked of Bellichick's arrogance.

Now maybe we know where Mangini got that bad trait?[/QUOTE]

The Giants defense had more to do with that game than anything BB did as a HC.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2931560]The Giants defense had more to do with that game than anything BB did as a HC.[/QUOTE]

Boy, I've heard of passing the buck, but that takes the cake.

BB ****ed up that game in so many ways I can't even begin to explain.

That's a fact and you know it........

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrogance combined with stuburness

I've seen coaches in the past that came
    into the league with certain misconceptions,
    but the coaches who learned from the
    mistakes they made - the mistakes that cost
    them games in their first season or two,
    eventurally became good or great.

One coach that comes to mind, Bill Parcells-

He was considered dumb by some his first
    season, he made a lot of mistakes, he was
    grilled hard by the media, especially about
    his over conservative approach.

Over time, he did a 180 and became a gambler,
    and as we know, when Parcells gambles, more
    often than not, he wins.
    Last edited by Intellifan; 12-24-2008 at 01:52 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i started saying it early this year.......eric mangini is nothing more than belichicks film boy. i have never seen a coach so far in over his head. worst coach in the nfl....hard to remember anyone in the last 20 years worse than this fraud.