Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Mets "Closing" in on Lowe

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349

    Mets "Closing" in on Lowe

    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...lowe_clos.html

    According to a baseball source, The New York Mets appear to be closing in on a deal for free-agent pitcher Derek Lowe.

    The deal is believed to be four years in length, or three years with a vesting option. The contract is estimated to be worth between $14-16 million per season. Lowe just finished up a four year deal, $36 million deal with the Dodgers.

    In 2008, Lowe was the Dodgers most consistent pitcher down the stretch and finished with a 3.24 ERA to go along with a 14-11 record with 211 innings pitched.
    Go Omar! Hopefully it's 3 with an Option.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...lowe_clos.html



    Go Omar! Hopefully it's 3 with an Option.
    terrible if we end up giving him 14 million over 4 years....

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,725
    JUST DO IT OMAR.


    I WANT MY CHRISTMAS PRESENT EARLY.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    terrible if we end up giving him 14 million over 4 years....
    It'd be an decent contract, Lowe is a really good pitcher and fits into the mold of pitchers who should age well, although I'd obviously like to minimize risk with a shorter term deal as well if possible. That would really make it all the better.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,241
    I think he would be a great two for the first two years of the contract. After that, the contract would be a huge risk if theres two years left.

    He is the anti-Ollie.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,114
    I am sorry i am not sold on Lowe being a 2 or a 3....the guy reminds me of Rick Reed...


    outside of last year, his ERA is in the 3.7's over the least 3 years.
    Last edited by K-Met57; 12-24-2008 at 02:15 PM.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    I am sorry i am not sold on Lowe being a 2 or a 3....the guy reminds me of Rick Reed...
    4 Straight Years of an ERA under 4, what else do you need to see?

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    4 Straight Years of an ERA under 4, what else do you need to see?
    I just don't think we are in a pitchers park anymore, i would rather have a guy like Ollie with upside and SO potential.

  9. #9
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,683
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    I just don't think we are in a pitchers park anymore, i would rather have a guy like Ollie with upside and SO potential.
    You have a valid point. Lowe's ERA is much better at Dodger stadium, a pitcher's park. But I feel he's definitely at LEAST a #3 pitcher on a good staff.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    You have a valid point. Lowe's ERA is much better at Dodger stadium, a pitcher's park. But I feel he's definitely at LEAST a #3 pitcher on a good staff.
    Which means you are banking on Pelfrey to be the number 2. I love Pelfrey...but him, Lowe and Maine don't strike me as a dominant 2,3,4. Especialy in a smaller park.

  11. #11
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,683
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    Which means you are banking on Pelfrey to be the number 2. I love Pelfrey...but him, Lowe and Maine don't strike me as a dominant 2,3,4. Especialy in a smaller park.
    That's why I said "good" staff.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    That's why I said "good" staff.
    I want Ollieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    Which means you are banking on Pelfrey to be the number 2. I love Pelfrey...but him, Lowe and Maine don't strike me as a dominant 2,3,4. Especialy in a smaller park.
    There is nothing small about Citi Field, and really there's no reason to think it won't still be a pitchers park. "Pitchers Park" dimensions, High Walls in Left and part of Centerfield, no major design flaw to create a wind tunnel ala CBP, according to some inside reports, there might be a little bit of a crosswind going from Left Field to Right, but that shouldn't change things drastically. A few more foul balls will fly fair in Left, while a few more fair balls will become foul in right. Negligible difference.

    Truthfully though, Groundball Pitchers rarely benefit from the ballpark factors though, since the heavy majority of balls are hit on the ground anyways and there's not much of a difference between dirt and grass from ballpark to ballpark. The benefit for Lowe pitching in a pitchers park is minimal, of course at the same time he's much better prepared to go into a place like Philadelphia then a Fly Ball pitcher though. Lowe has always pitched better at home, even in his Boston years. I think it's more a comfort thing then a ballpark thing.

    Really though, there is very little reason to prefer Ollie to Lowe, IMO.

    Ollie, when he is on his game, might be as good as Derek Lowe. But Lowe is pretty much consistently good and Ollie most definitely is not.

    Letting Ollie leave brings in 2 draft picks, signing Lowe only costs us a Second Round Pick.

    What about "Big Game" Ollie? Well Lowe has a 3.33 ERA in the postseason, including a 3.48 ERA against the Phillies in the NLCS last year. He's hardly chopped liver there.

    Age is the only real concern in my mind, but he seems like a pretty good bet to age well given his clean injury history and his arsenal.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,142
    Great news... Make it happen Omar.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boynton Beach, Florida
    Posts
    6,187
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    I am sorry i am not sold on Lowe being a 2 or a 3....the guy reminds me of Rick Reed...

    outside of last year, his ERA is in the 3.7's over the least 3 years.
    He is an inning eater who is always heathy. He is a real good #3 pitcher and would be an excellent addition to the Mets or any team.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,142
    How is this even an argument? Obviously Perez has better stuff, is a lefty and is in his physical prime but Lowe is a better pitcher when it's all said and done. He'll make an EXCELLENT #2 starter on this team.

  17. #17
    When you have Santana do you really need a bonafide #2 ?

    Pelf, Lowe, and Maine is more then enough ammo when your gun is Johan.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Quote Originally Posted by hollaman08 View Post
    When you have Santana do you really need a bonafide #2 ?

    Pelf, Lowe, and Maine is more then enough ammo when your gun is Johan.
    Umm yes?

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,113
    Lowe was the Dodger's ace for four years. There is no reason to believe that he can't be the Met's #2 for 4 years. This guy keeps the ball on the ground. If the Mets can have/build a superior infield defense, this guy will be fantastic. He is battle tested and like other sinker ball pitchers, can pitch even better on short rest. Innings eater who will be worth every penny of that contract if the Mets get to the postseason.

    As a Red Sox fan, if the Mets close on this, it will be absolutely devastating. Losing Tex wasn't that bad a deal because he was invisible during the playoffs and never appeared to be the best player on any team he has played for, and wanted to be a Yankee. Lowe said we wanted to return the Sox. Theo is getting his @$$ handed to him this offseason.

    What really sucks is that I already shelled out $$$ for tickets to three of their games.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Lowe was the Dodger's ace for four years. There is no reason to believe that he can't be the Met's #2 for 4 years. This guy keeps the ball on the ground. If the Mets can have/build a superior infield defense, this guy will be fantastic. He is battle tested and like other sinker ball pitchers, can pitch even better on short rest. Innings eater who will be worth every penny of that contract if the Mets get to the postseason.

    As a Red Sox fan, if the Mets close on this, it will be absolutely devastating. Losing Tex wasn't that bad a deal because he was invisible during the playoffs and never appeared to be the best player on any team he has played for, and wanted to be a Yankee. Lowe said we wanted to return the Sox. Theo is getting his @$$ handed to him this offseason.

    What really sucks is that I already shelled out $$$ for tickets to three of their games.
    The guy batted .467 in the postseason. Are you stupid or something?

    You reasoning is asinine. It doesn't matter that you didn't want him or not (Which of course you did) the Red Sox wanted him bad, and there is no denying that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us