Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could the Jets get Dick Lebeau as their DC?

Could the Jets get Dick Lebeau as their DC?

This is pure speculation, obviously. We all know that getting Cowher has to be considered a long shot even with what has happened recently.

However, I can't help but think if Cowher becomes the next Jets HC, could he pursuade Dick Lebeau to come to NY with him?

Remember, Mike Tomlin comes from a 4-3 defensive philosophy. Maybe he would prefer to go in that direction? That would make Lebeau a free agent.

Maybe he could get Dick Lebeau to agree to come coach the Jets defense?

All League
    I'd rather have LeBeau as HC than Mangini. At least he really IS a "Defensive Genius".

Jets Insider VIP
    Maybe we can also get Peyton Manning, the Giants defensive line and Troy Polamalu. And a punter.

Probably not. Most teams don't go for letting their coaches move laterally like that. The traditional courtesy is to let your coaches interview and go for jobs that are a step up, however letting us poach one of their coordinators for the purpose of giving them the same job here probably isn't something the Steelers would be too keen on.

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;2931584]I'd rather have LeBeau as HC than Mangini. At least he really IS a "Defensive Genius".[/QUOTE]

LeBeau was awful as a head coach. Like really bad. Hands down worse than Mangini.

[QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2931586]Maybe we can also get Peyton Manning, the Giants defensive line and Troy Polamalu. And a punter.[/QUOTE]

with mangini, we might be able to win 10 games with them

REX RYAN as head coach..

All Pro
    And Tomlin would the DC of the number one ranked D leave because...

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2931597]Probably not. Most teams don't go for letting their coaches move laterally like that. The traditional courtesy is to let your coaches interview and go for jobs that are a step up, however letting us poach one of their coordinators for the purpose of giving them the same job here probably isn't something the Steelers would be too keen on.[/QUOTE]

But what if Lebeau finds himself jobless assuming Tomlin wants to install his own 4-3 defense?

You have to admit the mere thought sounds delectable...

Banned
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;2931574]

However, I can't help but think if Cowher becomes the next Jets HC, could he pursuade Dick Lebeau to come to NY with him?

[/QUOTE]

Why the hell would Lebeau even consider leaving a team like the Steelers and go to the Jets. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=bman;2931606]REX RYAN as head coach..[/QUOTE]

Outside of Cowher, this really is the name that makes the most sense for us. He's greatly respected by his players and also around the league as a guy who knows what he's doing. He's going to be the most mentioned name after Bill this offseason for any coaching vacancy out there, and there's going to be a lot.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;2931611]But what if Lebeau finds himself jobless assuming Tomlin wants to install his own 4-3 defense?

[/QUOTE]

Read the article in SI this week.

When Tomlin accepted the HC position, the first thing he said was he was not going to change a thing with Lebeau and the Steeler defense.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2931619]Read the article in SI this week.

When Tomlin accepted the HC position, the first thing he said was he was not going to change a thing with Lebeau and the Steeler defense.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that.

But thanks for ruining my fantasy you TURD!

[QUOTE=Mainejet;2931611]But what if Lebeau finds himself jobless assuming Tomlin wants to install his own 4-3 defense?

You have to admit the mere thought sounds delectable...[/QUOTE]

Truth be told, I don't think there's any chance of that happening. Tomlin came in and recognized right away that he was best off sticking with LeBeau and that scheme. Most importantly, he'd have no cause to do so. LeBeau isn't in danger of getting rehired as a HC anywhere and that D is taylor-made for that scheme currently. Obviously in that scenario he'd be the ideal hire, but Tomlin's been smart enough to recognize what works since he's come on and there's no signs of him making any sort of switch anytime soon.

Jets Insider VIP

You have to admit the mere thought sounds delectable...[/QUOTE]

WTF are you talking about? Why would Tomlin fire Lebeau after Pittsburgh's defense this season was best in the league? And has been a top 5 defense practically every year Lebeau has been there?

Lebeau will be in Pittsburgh until HE decides it is time to retire.

Dump this thread.

i would take having lebeau coming in here for a few afternoons and just teaching the new coordinator how to blitz

Bewildered Beast
    Harbaugh? Any other Harbaughs out there? Oh, snap...Jim harbaugh is coaching Stanford. He'll put the fire in the Jets; remeber when he punched Jim Kelly for talking ****?

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2931615]Outside of Cowher, this really is the name that makes the most sense for us. He's greatly respected by his players and also around the league as a guy who knows what he's doing. He's going to be the most mentioned name after Bill this offseason for any coaching vacancy out there, and there's going to be a lot.[/QUOTE]

That would also serve the Jets quite well as they would probably get to KEEP Tannenbaum as the GM.

Rex would also likely hire ROB as his DC.

I really like that idea as well........

[QUOTE=Mainejet;2931633]That would also serve the Jets quite well as they would probably get to KEEP Tannenbaum as the GM.

Rex would also likely hire ROB as his DC.

I really like that idea as well........[/QUOTE]

That's probably going to be the case where ever he winds up going. Rob's contract is up with Oakland this year, so they're most likely going to be a 2 for 1 special.

[QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2931629]WTF are you talking about? Why would Tomlin fire Lebeau after Pittsburgh's defense this season was best in the league? And has been a top 5 defense practically every year Lebeau has been there?

Lebeau will be in Pittsburgh until HE decides it is time to retire.

Dump this thread.[/QUOTE]

It's called specuation you idiot.

Are there ANY threads on this board right now that aren't pure speculation?

Lane Kiffin had a very respectable defense in Oakland lead by Rob Ryan. STILL he wanted to fire Rob Ryan in favor of his father and he would have if he hadn't been overruled by Al Davis.

Meanwhile, the ENTIRE football world SPECULATED that Rob Ryan would become the Jets DC......