Thread: Lowe not an imminent addition to Mets

Hall Of Fame

Lowe not an imminent addition to Mets

http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spm...,6806221.story

The Mets continue to try to sign one more starting pitcher, but general manager Omar Minaya said nothing is imminent.

"We're talking, we're having discussions, but nothing's going to happen in the next day or two," Minaya said by phone Wednesday afternoon.

Several reports online had the Mets close to agreement on a four-year deal with righthander Derek Lowe. Minaya said Lowe is just one of several pitchers the Mets are in negotiations with, along with Oliver Perez and Randy Wolf.

The Mets stand a strong chance of eventually signing one of those three starters. Minaya said it wouldn't happen in the immediate future, though, urging: "Go enjoy the holiday."

Lowe, 35, went 14-11 with a 3.24 ERA for the Dodgers this season. He has started at least 32 games each of the past seven seasons. Perez, 27, went 10-7 with a 4.22 ERA in 34 games for the Mets this season, and won 15 games for them in 2007. Wolf, 32, split time between the Astros and Padres this year, going a combined 12-12 with a 4.30 ERA.

Lowe is likely to command about $14-16 million per year. Another Mets source confirmed that they are "talking but not close."

As for the idea that the Mets might go after Manny Ramirez, now that it's clear the Yankees will not be signing him, that thought was shot down. A Mets source said flatly: "We're not signing Manny."
    If they sign Randy Wolf "instead" i am going to freak.

Hall Of Fame
    It's Christmas Eve man, of course they're not going to get something done in the next day or two. Call me optimistic, but I think it gets done by new years.