Thread: How the Teixeira deal went down

Banned

How the Teixeira deal went down

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ba..._mean_end.html

Even Tuesday, hours before Teixeira agreed to terms, the Yankees were pessimistic about getting the 28-year-old slugger, the source said. Boras told the Yankees they needed a 10-year deal, with the last two years as player options. That got an absolute no from the Yankees, who had offered eight years and $180 million ($22.5 million per year).

Around midday Tuesday, Boras said Teixeira would agree to an eight-year contract, but only if the average annual value was $24 million per year, making the total contract value $192 million. The Yankees conferred, then told Boras no, that they had made a fair yet firm offer and would hold pat, the source said. Boras responded by saying that Teixeira would likely be a Red Sox. The Yankees refused to budge from their offer, and 20 minutes later, Boras called back and said Teixeira would take their eight-year, $180 million contract offer.
    There was no bidding war. The Yankees had their price and they stuck to it.

In this Red Sox fan's opinion, once you cut through all the bluster, it looks like the Yankees were effectively given topping rights over the Red Sox final offer, whatever that turned out to be. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the Red Sox had offered, say, $185 MM and the Yankees had stood firm. It's not clear how much weight Teixeira assigned to the NTC (which the Sox will not give anyone as a matter of organizational philosophy) and his apparent preference to play in New York. I suspect, though, that he would have still signed with NY.

All League
    Yeah Tyler D, your management are fierce negotiators...that's what they'll write on Cashman & Levine's epitaph i'm sure. I guess you have to give them some credit for stealing money from NYS taxpayers for that ugly monolith they call the new Yankee Stadium. Pride, tradition....blow me

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Yeah Tyler D, your management are fierce negotiators...that's what they'll write on Cashman & Levine's epitaph i'm sure. I guess you have to give them some credit for stealing money from NYS taxpayers for that ugly monolith they call the new Yankee Stadium. Pride, tradition....blow me
    Blow me?

You're worse than I thought. It's Christmas and you are telling someone to "blow me" on a message board for no apparent reason? You are sick pup, and and need help.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 12-25-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Banned
    http://masnsports.com/2008/12/for-te...ce-was-ya.html

I've heard from a reliable source that the first baseman turned down about $5 million more from the Nationals to sign with the Yankees. And the Nats would have gone higher, but were never given the chance. Teixeira jumped at Brian Cashman's first offer.