Thread: Andy Pettitte's second stint in pinstripes may be over

Banned

Andy Pettitte's second stint in pinstripes may be over

I love Andy, but he has no one to blame but himself.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12252008...xei_145766.htm

Just last week Pettitte's return seemed certain, but Teixeira's imminent signing - he still has to pass a physical before officially becoming a Yankee - has evidently changed the landscape.

"Right now it's doubtful on Pettitte, given where we are financially with this stuff," the Yankees official said.
    If Pettitte does have a chance with the Yankees at this point, it's because of the admiration the Steinbrenner family has for him.

"There is some sentiment to bring [Pettitte] back because he's such a hard working son-of-a-gun," the Yankees official said.

Veteran
    Sad that odds are Andy wont be back, however I am excited to see Hughes possibly earn a spot in the rotation out of spring training

Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    Sad that odds are Andy wont be back, however I am excited to see Hughes possibly earn a spot in the rotation out of spring training
    I'm not. I'd prefer he starts the year in AAA and get his spot if he's performing when there's an injury. I want Andy back.

I will be very upset if Andy doesn't return. A rotation with pettitte is better and more stability.

1-Sabathia
    2-Wang
    3-Burnett
    4-Pettitte
    5-Joba

Is much better than.

1-Sabathia
    2-Wang
    3-Burnett
    4-Joba
    5-Hughes

Having two young guys at the end isn't smart. Because either way Hughes will be up in the majors at some point this year. Someone will get injured. Pettitte at least you know he can get you over 200 innings. With around a 4 ERA.
    Joba isn't going to pitch much, so having Pettitte back helps and is needed.

Seriously though this is on Pettitte, if he wants to come back like he said he will come back. If its about money then he may not come back, but he has to realize that no one else will pay him more. He isn't that good anymore. Hes older and not a top line starter anymore. But I still love the man and think hes a crafty vet that can get us some big wins. He would make this rotation complete IMO. He has to come back knowing that this team has a shot at a WS this year, also the new stadium. $10-12 mil is more then enough for Andy, he should just take the damn offer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    I will be very upset if Andy doesn't return. A rotation with pettitte is better and more stability.

1-Sabathia
    2-Wang
    3-Burnett
    4-Pettitte
    5-Joba

Is much better than.

1-Sabathia
    2-Wang
    3-Burnett
    4-Joba
    5-Hughes

Having two young guys at the end isn't smart. Because either way Hughes will be up in the majors at some point this year. Someone will get injured. Pettitte at least you know he can get you over 200 innings. With around a 4 ERA.
    Joba isn't going to pitch much, so having Pettitte back helps and is needed.

Seriously though this is on Pettitte, if he wants to come back like he said he will come back. If its about money then he may not come back, but he has to realize that no one else will pay him more. He isn't that good anymore. Hes older and not a top line starter anymore. But I still love the man and think hes a crafty vet that can get us some big wins. He would make this rotation complete IMO. He has to come back knowing that this team has a shot at a WS this year, also the new stadium. $10-12 mil is more then enough for Andy, he should just take the damn offer.
    It's a no brainer the Yankees need to bring Pettite back or at least get a decent no. 4 starter from somewhere. Burnett is injury prone, Wang is coming back from an injury, Joba needs to be limited to 25 starts or whatever it is.

Unless the Yankees resign Pettite or bring in another pitcher next year could be a very Jet-like disaster with Burnett getting hurt and Joba getting overworked. What's the over-under on the Yankees trying to bring Mussina in mid-July?