Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel attacks on Gaza kill 200 +

[QUOTE=PraiseWorthyOne;2934456][img]http://www.sott.net/image/image/9591/israel-palestine_map.jpg[/img]

Why should it be left alone? Gaza holds 1.5 million people within an area the size of D.C. No food, No water, No aid. What do you suggest? They eat each other?[/QUOTE]ah..aren't you forgetting trans-jordan?

[QUOTE=PraiseWorthyOne;2934456][img]http://www.sott.net/image/image/9591/israel-palestine_map.jpg[/img]

Why should it be left alone? Gaza holds 1.5 million people within an area the size of D.C. No food, No water, No aid. What do you suggest? They eat each other?[/QUOTE]and syria lost the golan heights in '67 not '49

Board Moderator
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2940612]So this war will not end by force. That's for sure.

The only hope is for some kind of mutually agreed upon accord, which doesn't look like will happen anytime soon either.

So this goes back to my original question -- can peace ever be achieved?[/QUOTE]

And it's already been answered Paulie, Nope. Never.

You're talking about deep seeded raw hatred that is fueled by religious fervor.

These are two sworn enemies that will never fully accept eachother's existence.

[QUOTE=Vilma;2940711]And it's already been answered Paulie, Nope. Never.

You're talking about deep seeded raw hatred that is fueled by religious fervor.

These are two sworn enemies that will never fully accept eachother's existence.[/QUOTE]

Why doesn't the international community just divvy up the land, even-Steven? I know that probably sounds incredibly ignorant, but what else is there to do besides wait for the inevitable nuclear war?

[QUOTE=pauliec;2940725]Why doesn't the international community just divvy up the land, even-Steven? I know that probably sounds incredibly ignorant, but what else is there to do besides wait for the inevitable nuclear war?[/QUOTE]

Tried that -- didn't work. My guess is that because the Israel/Palestine problem is uniquely difficult, the solution will also be unique. I believe that part of what needs to happen is that both sides must be separated to an extent from their foreign influences. Neither side has any motivation to come to a lasting settlement until it is absolutely clear that they will be unable to count on support from the US or the Muslim world in continuing the current standoff. How to arrange a symmetrical pull-back from all of the outside influences who fund the continuance of this disaster? Your guess is as good as mine.

[quote=pauliec;2940725]Why doesn't the international community just divvy up the land, even-Steven? I know that probably sounds incredibly ignorant, but what else is there to do besides wait for the inevitable nuclear war?[/quote]

Tried that - the jews accepted, the arabs nations said "thanks, but we'd rather take it all".

Didn't really work out for them, but that's what happens when you gamble, I suppose

Board Moderator
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2940795]Tried that - the jews accepted, the arabs nations said "thanks, but we'd rather take it all".

Didn't really work out for them, but that's what happens when you gamble, I suppose[/QUOTE]

Exactly, they said 'no thanks' took the gamble lost huge and then say it was rigged from the start.....

[QUOTE=doggin94it;2940795]Tried that - the jews accepted, the arabs nations said "thanks, but we'd rather take it all".

Didn't really work out for them, but that's what happens when you gamble, I suppose[/QUOTE]

I am so not getting into this argument, but its a little more complicated than that don't you think?

Board Moderator
    [QUOTE=fukushimajin;2940908]I am so not getting into this argument, but its a little more complicated than that don't you think?[/QUOTE]

Not really the Arabs rejected the UN Partition plan which would have created an Arab state in Palestine and instead opted to form a 5 country military force with the aim of swiftly removing the Jews from Palestine, problem is they lost badly, and the Jews were able to make significant gains in the ensuing battles. And took control over the land they now occupied.

[quote=fukushimajin;2940908]I am so not getting into this argument, but its a little more complicated than that don't you think?[/quote]

Sure - but the question was essentially "why not try partition"

[QUOTE=Vilma;2940929]Not really the Arabs rejected the UN Partition plan which would have created an Arab state in Palestine and instead opted to form a 5 country military force with the aim of swiftly removing the Jews from Palestine, problem is they lost badly, and the Jews were able to make significant gains in the ensuing battles. And took control over the land they now occupied.[/QUOTE]

This assumes that any such deal was fair in the first place. How well have British/UN-brokered partitions ever worked historically? Who would have accepted that deal?

[quote=fukushimajin;2942230]This assumes that any such deal was fair in the first place. How well have British/UN-brokered partitions ever worked historically? Who would have accepted that deal?[/quote]

The deal offered the arabs control over land in which they were a majority and jews control over the land in which they were a majority. Seems fair enough in principle, especially when you consider that the bulk of the proposed jewish state consisted of the relatively useless Negev Desert.

All the more so when you consider the Palestinians would have gotten more of both the West Bank and Gaza than they currently claim to have an undying connection to (and which prior to 1967 the Palestinians vehemently disclaimed all connection to). Which causes its own problems, since its hard to believe that the Palestinians will actually be satisfied (enough for peace) with even the West Bank and Gaza - especially when there are such vocal and empowered segments of Palestinian society proclaiming that they'll fight on until there's no more Israel.

[QUOTE=doggin94it;2942535]especially when there are such vocal and empowered segments of Palestinian society proclaiming that they'll fight on until there's no more Israel.[/QUOTE]

Theres just as many vocal and empowered segments of Israelis who hold on to the dream of a Greater Israel and want to do whatever they can to make life so difficult for the Palestinians that they react the way they do and then use it to justify military force in order to achieve their true ultimate goal-> wipe out the Palestinians and establish a Greater Israel.

[quote=kennyo7;2942627]Theres just as many vocal and empowered segments of Israelis who hold on to the dream of a Greater Israel and want to do whatever they can to make life so difficult for the Palestinians that they react the way they do and then use it to justify military force in order to achieve their true ultimate goal-> wipe out the Palestinians and establish a Greater Israel.[/quote]

Except, well, that while the Israeli types are certainly vocal, they aren't particularly empowered. Which is why they weren't able to stop the forcible evacuation of Israeli settlers from Gaza, by the Israeli government, and why the Israeli government has repeatedly offered the Palestinians a state of their own (if not on all of the land the Palestinians might want) and has long accepted the existence of a palestinian state in some form or other.

And yes, those poor poor Palestinians, manipulated by the Israelis into targeting civilians, they had no other choice you see, so its really ok :cryin::cryin:
    Do you even think before you type, or do you have a "false equivalence" macro set up to spew these paragraphs automatically with a single keystroke?

[QUOTE=doggin94it;2943301]

And yes, those poor poor Palestinians, manipulated by the Israelis into targeting civilians, they had no other choice you see, so its really ok :cryin::cryin:
    Do you even think before you type, or do you have a "false equivalence" macro set up to spew these paragraphs automatically with a single keystroke?[/QUOTE]

I woonder what your reaction would be if you were born and raised in Gaza under the inhumane conditions Palestinians have been living under due to Israeli aggression. Im sure you would be peaceful and accept the ass raping with a smile and praise Israel:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=doggin94it;2943301]Except, well, that while the Israeli types are certainly vocal, they aren't particularly empowered. Which is why they weren't able to stop the forcible evacuation of Israeli settlers from Gaza, by the Israeli government, and why the Israeli government has repeatedly offered the Palestinians a state of their own (if not on all of the land the Palestinians might want) and has long accepted the existence of a palestinian state in some form or other.[/QUOTE]

You mean the illegal settlemnts??
    You cant make the raping of the Palestinians too obvious otherwise even your staunchest supporters will have a hard time defending you. make it seem like you are giving something up(when in fact you are giving nothing up) and you will keep the sheep close by and slowly you will take it all. Isnt that the Likud mantra?? No , i forgot they want to use brute force to take it all. Oh Greater Israel!! Its just a matter of time before the dream becomes reality!

whoever is in charge of Israel is doing a worse job than Bush. that's tough to do.

[QUOTE=doggin94it;2939510] I honestly don't care how they respond. .[/QUOTE]

That says it all

[quote=kennyo7;2943660]I woonder what your reaction would be if you were born and raised in Gaza under the inhumane conditions Palestinians have been living under due to Israeli aggression. Im sure you would be peaceful and accept the ass raping with a smile and praise Israel:rolleyes:[/quote]

even assuming your slanted and ignorant portrayal were accurate, [B]I wouldn't kill civilians. I would not murder women. I would not shoot children.[/B]

You, apparently, can't say the same. Not particularly surprising.

[quote=kennyo7;2943674]You mean the illegal settlemnts??
    You cant make the raping of the Palestinians too obvious otherwise even your staunchest supporters will have a hard time defending you. make it seem like you are giving something up(when in fact you are giving nothing up) and you will keep the sheep close by and slowly you will take it all. Isnt that the Likud mantra?? No , i forgot they want to use brute force to take it all. Oh Greater Israel!! Its just a matter of time before the dream becomes reality![/quote]

:rolleyes:

Yes, those damn likudniks like Ariel Sharon, whose devious plan was to forcibly remove settlers from Gaza and hand it to the Palestinians unilaterally, knowing that the only possible response from the Palestinians would be to attack Israel giving Israel the excuse to take it back (which, of course, they aren't doing). You are a clown, Kenny, and anyone with a basic knowledge of even recent history can see that.