Thread: SO do we draft a QB in the first couple of rounds?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

SO do we draft a QB in the first couple of rounds?

What's our future. I'm partial to Ratliff but should we look for one up there?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait untill the 4th round and take a look at Curtis Painter.He's having a miserable yr,but he has a boatload of talent.

P.S. If come draft time,he measures under 6'2" forget what i posted above.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;2938183]...He's having a miserable yr,but he has a boatload of talent...[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a perfect fit for this organization.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=aagarcia;2938142]What's our future. I'm partial to Ratliff but should we look for one up there?[/QUOTE]

Why the hell not?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to DraftDaddy.com (thanks Bit) these are the options.....

1. Rhett Bomar Sam Houston State University of Oklahoma Transfer
    2. Graham Harrell Texas Tech
    3. Hunter Cantwell
    Louisville
    4. Cullen Harper Clemson
    5. Tom Brandstater Fresno State
    6. Brian Hoyer Michigan State
    7. Nathan Brown Central Arkansas
    8. Drew Willy Buffalo
    9. Curtis Painter Purdue
    10. Chase Holbrook New Mexico State

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awful draft for SR. QB's. Painter and Harper were getting 1st round looks before the season but were awful their senior years. The "system quarterback" label surrounds Graham Harrell. Cantwell has some tools but lacks experience and polish. Bomar's an Oklahoma transfer who will be the top SR. quarterback but his level of competition and off-field issues are concerns. Stephen McGee set all sorts of Texas HS passing records but had to play in an option offense at Texas A&M for most of his career and never produced, despite obvious talent. Missouri QB Chase Patton could be the next Matt Cassell. He backed up at Missouri his entire career but is a HS legend in Missouri and has NFL size for the position.

Matt Stafford, a JR., will go in the first round should he choose to declare. Very similar to Jay Cutler in terms of his size, elite arm strength, and moxie. Stafford will force balls down-field, though, whether it's there or not. Sam Bradford, also a JR., doesn't have Stafford's arm but he's got a quick release and his accuracy and ball placement is second to none. He's got top intangibles and is a better athlete than given credit for but there are some concerns over the system in which he plays. He will compete with Stafford to be the first quarterback taken if he chooses to come out. Nate Davis is an underrated prospect from Ball State who could be the next great pro QB out of the MAC. Lacks true size, but has the arm to make all the throws, top intangibles, and is a big time play-maker at the position. Mark Sanchez from USC is a rhythm passer with great production his first year starting at USC. He doesn't drive the deep ball all that well but he's got enough arm strength and his accuracy is improving with improved footwork and mechanics. He's a great play-action passer who also throws very well on the run. He has the tendency to stare down WR's and force balls though and could benefit from another year at USC.
    Last edited by gangGREENinsider; 12-28-2008 at 10:02 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets have 3 QBs on the Roster,but if they feel the need to add another QB,the 2 guys they should look at are Painter and Ben Olsen of UCLA.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2938196]Sounds like a perfect fit for this organization.[/QUOTE]

Nicely played.:D

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    They will need to bring in someone, with Favre likely done, Clemens still unproven and Ainge and Ratliff needing a lot of work before they can be handed the keys. The FA pool for QB's does not look strong either, so Clemens appears to be the likely starter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get the Painter love. He's short, mediocre arm and accuracy, and played awful as a SR- he was even benched. He's a mid-2nd day pick at best.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;2938386]I don't get the Painter love. He's short, mediocre arm and accuracy, and played awful as a SR- he was even benched. He's a mid-2nd day pick at best.[/QUOTE]

That's why i said 4th round.By the way,how short is he.I've seen him play a few times,and he's listed at 6'4".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mmarra;2938376]They will need to bring in someone, with Favre likely done, Clemens still unproven and Ainge and Ratliff needing a lot of work before they can be handed the keys. The FA pool for QB's does not look strong either, so Clemens appears to be the likely starter.[/QUOTE]

[B]Next year will be Ratliff's third year in the NFL[/B]. [B]He is going to be ready [/B][B]to be the starter for the jets.[/B] I cant wait bc i know he is going to be really good for the jets a long time at QB. He is going to be the starting Qb for the jets when they win the SB. [B][B]Clemens will show in[/B][/B] [B]preseason that he is not a Starting QB Canidate for the jets. backup at best..[/B]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think drafting another QB is kind of overkill, if anything what they need to do is go after an up and coming free agent. I think we have two excellent prospects in Ratliff and Ainge already, to add a fourth young QB to this mix would make it very confusing. If they kept both Ratliff and Ainge that tells me that the FO feels those two have what it takes to play in this league. Never been high on Clemens btw, I think he's the odd man out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;2938437]That's why i said 4th round.By the way,how short is he.I've seen him play a few times,and he's listed at 6'4".[/QUOTE]

6'2 tops.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whether we draft a QB or not next year, Clemens starts week 1.

And Painter is no better than Ainge.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Slikmojet;2938464]I think drafting another QB is kind of overkill, if anything what they need to do is go after an up and coming free agent. I think we have two excellent prospects in Ratliff and Ainge already, to add a fourth young QB to this mix would make it very confusing. If they kept both Ratliff and Ainge that tells me that the FO feels those two have what it takes to play in this league. Never been high on Clemens btw, I think he's the odd man out.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, unless an elite QB prospect like Stafford or Bradofrd falls, I'd bring in a vet. Next year's quarterback class looks MUCH better. If Clemens and Ratliff prove unable to lead the franchise next year, draft a 2010 prospect.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If its QB, its Bradford or Bust.