Thread: I dont want to hear "we are years from being good"

I dont want to hear "we are years from being good"

This is a year to year league. I keep reading posts that we are so far from being good and we wont be competitive for a while. That is nonsense. First off, if you really dont believe in the talent here, than Mangini did nothing wrong. Second, this league is week to week let alone year to year. Teams rebuild very quickly and we can easily be competitive next year. So you doomsayers and trolls: Cut the crap.

All Pro
    Hear Hear - spectacular post - can't wait for our Super Bowl run next year:P

[QUOTE=LesterLyles;2938356]This is a year to year league. I keep reading posts that we are so far from being good and we wont be competitive for a while. That is nonsense. First off, if you really dont believe in the talent here, than Mangini did nothing wrong. Second, this league is week to week let alone year to year. Teams rebuild very quickly and we can easily be competitive next year. So you doomsayers and trolls: Cut the crap.[/QUOTE]

It's called REALITY my friend. How long have you been a Jets fan now, you should know the deal.

All Pro
    Don't know LL, I fear the Favre experiment has set us back at least a year and maybe three.

Realisitically, we have a 40 year old QB, a 30 year old RB (Due to start going downhill any moment now), and no true gamechanger in the skill positions (Although Keller might develop into that guy).....and if we're going to go with a new coach, then we could be looking at more rebuilding if a 4-3 coach is coming in.

I don't want to be a buzzkill, but we have some work cut out in front of us.

nogame changer? WHat about Leon? Cotch is fine at one Wr SPOT. You get someone else to start opposite him. As for our 30 year old RB, he had his best year as a pro. Is he going to last 5 years? No but 3, yes. And RB is so easy to take care of. QB is the #1 issue. Everything else is managable.

The original post is what is wrong with so many teams. How many Heisman winners or candidates don't even play in the NFL now? Leinart? Brohm? (I think he might be on a the 4th guys in GB but you get it...) Shuler? Weinke?

People have forgotten that you don't just plug a guy in and watch the bulb turn on. It worked with Peyton and Eli but...well...they're Peyton and Eli and they didn't exactly burst out of the gate. They just stuck it out somehow. Aaron Rogers wasn't a Heisman but he is here to stay because he sat the bench for all those years, as is Matt Cassell, as did some guys who are getting old now (Favre, Brady, Hasselback).

[QUOTE=BloodyChamp;2938504]The original post is what is wrong with so many teams. How many Heisman winners or candidates don't even play in the NFL now? Leinart? Brohm? (I think he might be on a the 4th guys in GB but you get it...) Shuler? Weinke?

People have forgotten that you don't just plug a guy in and watch the bulb turn on. It worked with Peyton and Eli but...well...they're Peyton and Eli and they didn't exactly burst out of the gate. They just stuck it out somehow. Aaron Rogers wasn't a Heisman but he is here to stay because he sat the bench for all those years, as is Matt Cassell, as did some guys who are getting old now (Favre, Brady, Hasselback).[/QUOTE]

Yeah but then you have rookies who come in this year and do an amazing job like Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco. Anything can happen.

All League
    [QUOTE]I don't want to hear we are years from being good[/QUOTE]

Dozens of months from being good? Thousands of days? Millions of minutes? :huh:

[QUOTE=LesterLyles;2938462]nogame changer? WHat about Leon?[/quote]

Gamechangers do not touch the ball 3 times on Offense before calling it a day. Now if a new coaching staff (Or hell, even if our current one) gives Leon a real chance to be an impact player then there's some potential there, but we don't even know if he could hold up to such a workload at this point, or if he would be as effective with a larger workload. It's easy to extrapolate a part-time back's numbers for full-time duty, but more often you get LaMont Jordan then Michael Turner, keep that in mind.

[quote]Cotch is fine at one Wr SPOT. You get someone else to start opposite him.[/quote]

Agreed, but getting someone who is good enough to require double coverage is alot easier said then done.

[quote]As for our 30 year old RB, he had his best year as a pro. Is he going to last 5 years? No but 3, yes. And RB is so easy to take care of. QB is the #1 issue. Everything else is managable.[/QUOTE]

Most runningbacks begin to decline at the age of 30, or shortly thereafter. I wouldn't count on Thomas Jones being productive next year, nevermind 3 years down the line. I'd like to see us bring in another runningback, perhaps not a "First Round" need, but it needs to be addressed in the near future.

Veteran
    we dont have :

head coach
    off coord
    def coord

big play receiver
    big pass rusher
    quarterback

i think we are very far away, the team we have was built to win now and they didnt get it done, even with brady down.

The only thing we'll have in 2 years is a new $tadium

[QUOTE=MDL_JET;2938526]Yeah but then you have rookies who come in this year and do an amazing job like Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco. Anything can happen.[/QUOTE]

Can't really argue with this...Matt Ryan especially, but look at all the other names I mentioned. Then, look at the countless Oakland teams and Buffalo teams who always get the number 1 pick and ruin his career. Furthermore, look at that metality when it comes to coaching. Coaches get 2 years these days and they're out.

"we are years from being good"

:thumbup: