Thread: Touchback or Safety?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Touchback or Safety?

What was the ruling when the Miami player obviously stepped out of the endzone receiving the kickoff, then kneeled down? Why wasn't that a safety?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Macmaven;2938408]What was the ruling when the Miami player obviously stepped out of the endzone receiving the kickoff, then kneeled down? Why wasn't that a safety?[/QUOTE]

Announcers said it was because entire BALL never left the end zone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently the ruling was the ball never broke the plane of the goal line, like a touchdown in reverse. Feet didn't matter but the ball did.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's when the game completely changed. Chad threw the flea flicker right after that......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to the rule the ball had to be in the field of play, after he stepped back in the end zone. the ruling dosent make any sense to me. that should have been a safety.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i did not hear the ruling, but my only guess it's because they feel the BALL did not exit the end zone. what else could it have been?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the ball broke the plane when they showed the replay on the screen at the game, but then again those replays are always going to favor the Jets. Im not sure if the play is reviewable. They did discuss it with Mangini when they went to a time out.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Up in the stands I figured that the refs must have blown the play dead, giving the returner the touchback he was obviously asking for.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jason423;2938560]I thought the ball broke the plane when they showed the replay on the screen at the game, but then again those replays are always going to favor the Jets. Im not sure if the play is reviewable. They did discuss it with Mangini when they went to a time out.[/QUOTE]

the play was reviewable.

but the entire ball had to pass the EZ into the field of play.

and I guess they didnt think they could show that conclusively.