Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

View Poll Results: Do we need stricter consequences for racist posts?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 33.33%
  • No

14 66.67%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics Forum Ground Rules Request

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Politics Forum Ground Rules Request

Can we please stop with the blatant racism going around? And if people aren't going to do it voluntarily, can we get some mod intervention?

Seriously, this goes beyond idiots like ThePraiseworthyOne's antisemitism. If someone came on here and started posting about "niggers" or "spics" or "kikes" I'm pretty sure they'd be gone in a heartbeat. Yet somehow, people get away with calling arabs or muslims pretty much whatever they want. It isn't any different, and it shouldn't be tolerated.

Maybe its just me, but I've always thought racism should be a one strike and you're out rule. Does anyone disagree?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    examples?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Tucker134;2939146]examples?[/quote]

Seriously? Go look at the Israel thread and count the times someone said something racist - antisemitic or anti-arab. And its not an isolated thread. You can pretty much count on any thread involving arabs to be larded with "raghead" "towelhead" "stone age" "subhuman" type comments. Frankly, its disgusting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only if we can also ban proselytizing pentacostal Christians from every other day threads proclaiming that everyone who doesn't buy their version of religion is going to hell.... I can live with the Ron Paul delusionists, as at least they're talking about politics. But of course you're right, Doggin. There are a lot of angry, uneducated, and frankly sick people out there whose best effort at comprehending their world is to make it simple black-and-white, good and evil, and the staple bogey man. Hard to have a discussion with the likes of that....

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    Since when are Muslims considered a race? Are Christians a race too?

I see attacks against Christianity on here almost daily yet you don't call these attackers racists.

We have one poster on here suffering from a severe form of gerontophobia. Is he a racist that should be banned too?

What a dopey post....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=long island leprechaun;2939335]Only if we can also ban proselytizing pentacostal Christians from every other day threads proclaiming that everyone who doesn't buy their version of religion is going to hell.... I can live with the Ron Paul delusionists, as at least they're talking about politics. But of course you're right, Doggin. There are a lot of angry, uneducated, and frankly sick people out there whose best effort at comprehending their world is to make it simple black-and-white, good and evil, and the staple bogey man. Hard to have a discussion with the likes of that....[/quote]

You know what, though? The black and white, good and evil thing, that doesn't cross the line into racism. Views I disagree with, even views I find abhorrent (like sackdance99's idiocy) shouldn't be censored. But racism is different, and racist insults should be eliminated regardless of which group is being targetted.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=DeanPatsFan;2939607]Since when are Muslims considered a race? Are Christians a race too?

I see attacks against Christianity on here almost daily yet you don't call these attackers racists.

We have one poster on here suffering from a severe form of gerontophobia. Is he a racist that should be banned too?

What a dopey post....[/quote]

You want to attack [B]Islam[/B], go right ahead. Attacking [B]muslims[/B] with racist slurs is different. The same way Bernie is free to continue to preach that jews are going to hell - but not free (or at least, shouldn't be) to call us kikes or intimate that jews control the world or are all about the benjamins.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, how is attacking a religion(Islam/Muslim) racist when people of all races are members of it?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=DeanPatsFan;2939685]Again, how is attacking a religion(Islam/Muslim) racist when people of all races are members of it?[/quote]

The same way calling Jews "kikes" is racist when people of all races are Jews.

Like terror supporters do when called on their own defense of the indefensible, you are seeking refuge in semantics. If you're really all that interested in the semantics of it, we can just refer to you as "bigoted" rather than "racist" and take this as a request to eliminate the "bigotry" on the board rather than the "racism".

Does that make you happier?

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2939747]The same way calling Jews "kikes" is racist when people of all races are Jews.

Like terror supporters do when called on their own defense of the indefensible, you are seeking refuge in semantics. If you're really all that interested in the semantics of it, we can just refer to you as "bigoted" rather than "racist" and take this as a request to eliminate the "bigotry" on the board rather than the "racism".

Does that make you happier?[/QUOTE]

You can call me anything you like, it means absolutely nothing to me.

It's just that the word racist loses it's meaning/bite when people like you carelessly throw it around....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dogginit, it is the web standard to call people things like Hitler, ragheads and such. It is not just here on JI.

Save your energy for something else, like the family for the new year upcoming

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Jetdawgg;2939880]Dogginit, it is the web standard to call people things like Hitler, ragheads and such. It is not just here on JI.

Save your energy for something else, like the family for the new year upcoming[/quote]

Not on the board I run - we stamp that out pretty effectively, and it makes for a much more civil and useful forum.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree. The Israel thread is very upsetting, but the attacks on Muslims that have been tolerated here over the past several months is just wrong. There's been comments that, had they been made about any other religion, would have resulted in a banning without question. There's been comments about gays that have made me cringe a few times as well (I distinctly remember one post that requested a gay man be given the Matthew Sheppard treatment, and no one even batted an eye).

Board Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the other hand, shouldn't we promote free speech, no matter how ignorant and patently offensive it truly is?

Granted this is a privately owned website with its own TOS that all posters agree to adhere to. However, silencing the racists and bigots and the name calling ignoramus, while may not take away from the particular debate of a specific thread, does it not set a precedent that if you're a stupid racist schmuck, your opinion is not worth being published?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2939623]You know what, though? The black and white, good and evil thing, that doesn't cross the line into racism. Views I disagree with, even views I find abhorrent (like sackdance99's idiocy) shouldn't be censored. But racism is different, and racist insults should be eliminated regardless of which group is being targetted.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't saying we should ban people with black and white views... we wouldn't have more than a couple of people left! Re Sackdunce, I'm just getting tired of the frequency of his posts trying to stir up another fire and brimstone diatribe. But I chose simply to ignore him, which is probably the best policy with fantatics of his ilk. The bigoted/racist stuff is an unfortunate product of internet cowardice and juvenile posturing. But it certainly contaminates the whole forum. That stuff will take us all down in the end.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vilma;2940040]On the other hand, shouldn't we promote free speech, no matter how ignorant and patently offensive it truly is?

Granted this is a privately owned website with its own TOS that all posters agree to adhere to. However, silencing the racists and bigots and the name calling ignoramus, while may not take away from the particular debate of a specific thread, does it not set a precedent that if you're a stupid racist schmuck, your opinion is not worth being published?[/QUOTE]

Um, we're not Congress, we're a community of Jets fans who happen to also like discussing politics. Seems to me some basic rules of respect and decency will not limit the objective of stating an opinion on a given subject. How does using some vile epithet as an excuse for communication add any substance to a given point, any more than cursing does?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2939607]I see attacks against Christianity on here almost daily yet you don't call these attackers racists...[/QUOTE]

Link, please. You can't always get away with making sh*t up. Prove it.

Board Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2940295]Link, please. You can't always get away with making sh*t up. Prove it.[/QUOTE]

He's confusing racist attacks against Christianity with people exposing Sackdunce's (love whoever came up with that one) ridiculous and extreme logic......

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2940295]Link, please. You can't always get away with making sh*t up. Prove it.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a1183/a1183_thumb.jpg[/IMG]

Does this look familiar?

It's post #54 on Sackdance99's Bill Maher thread....Posted by you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2940351][IMG]http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a1183/a1183_thumb.jpg[/IMG]

Does this look familiar?

It's post #54 on Sackdance99's Bill Maher thread....Posted by you.[/QUOTE]

I can't see the picture because I'm at work...

I'm assuming it's the "SausageFest" Last Supper picture. Nice try...that's not an attack on Christianity. Neither is the pic I posted that said "Men Who Wear Sandals Get What They Deserve"...

Jesus told me he is tired of limp wristed wussie Christians who cry "persecution" every time someone says something mean to them. "Boo-hoo", he said "I was hung from a freaking cross and my earliest followers were eaten by lions...so suck it up and grow a pair of testicles, you panty waisted Nancy's..."

There you have it....words from the leader of the religion of...well, I'll let you finish that sentence, Nancy...