View Poll Results: Do we need stricter consequences for racist posts?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 33.33%
  • No

14 66.67%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics Forum Ground Rules Request

[QUOTE=fukushimajin;2940691]Actually I agree with DPF on this although I simultaneously feel that he is a ridiculous person with few legitimate contributions to reasoned argument. The glorification of the mafia is certainly offensive to many Italians just as many thought "The Sopranos" reinforced harmful stereotypes.

[/QUOTE]

I can certainly fake indication at the idea of a game glorifying the mafia, but even I'm not that stupid. We used to play mafia in summer camp, for God's sake.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2940704]I can certainly fake indication at the idea of a game glorifying the mafia, but even I'm not that stupid. We used to play mafia in summer camp, for God's sake.[/QUOTE]

As an Italian American whose Grandfather was routinely ripped off by the mafia (he ran a series of fish stores in the Bronx, Harlem and Brooklyn from the 1940's through the 1970's) I can say that I find the people who idolize the mafia to be offensive. I hope all of them are eventually brutalized by Paulie Walnuts himself, then stuffed into the trunk of a cheezy Cadillac by Joe Pesci. However, I do not personally find television shows, games or films offensive in and of themselves. Except for 24 I find that offensive.;)

[QUOTE=fukushimajin;2940731]As an Italian American whose Grandfather was routinely ripped off by the mafia (he ran a series of fish stores in the Bronx, Harlem and Brooklyn from the 1940's through the 1970's) I can say that I find the people who idolize the mafia to be offensive. I hope all of them are eventually brutalized by Paulie Walnuts himself, then stuffed into the trunk of a cheezy Cadillac by Joe Pesci. However, I do not personally find television shows, games or films offensive in and of themselves. Except for 24 I find that offensive.;)[/QUOTE]

I don't know anyone who idolizes the mafia, except those dago trash POS "Growing up Gotti" brothers on TV. Look, if you're Italian-American and your family was from NY or North Jersey in the 40s, 50s and 60s, odds are you have some kind of story relating to the mob. That's what the culture was.

My Warfish, My Warfish, Why Hast Thou Forsaken the Political Forum!

[QUOTE=pauliec;2940736]I don't know anyone who idolizes the mafia, except those dago trash POS "Growing up Gotti" brothers on TV. Look, if you're Italian-American and your family was from NY or North Jersey in the 40s, 50s and 60s, odds are you have some kind of story relating to the mob. That's what the culture was.[/QUOTE]

That's who I mean -- they are not a huge chunk of the population, but, believe me, there are a lot of "Growing up Gotti" types out there. Anyway, like I said, I don't mind the films & shows about the mob because, as you said, it was a part of the culture and offers some interesting stories.

[quote=DeanPatsFan;2940659]Well with doggin being the board defender against stereotypes, racism, bigotry, etc, I found it to be a bit ironic that he would be heavily involved in the JI Mafia Game.

I guess some people don't practice what they preach.[/quote]

hey, I guess never having joined one you wouldn't know, but JI mafia games have nothing to do with italians or italian stereotypes.

Thanks for playing, though :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=doggin94it;2940779] JI mafia games have nothing to do with italians or italian stereotypes.

Thanks for playing, though :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

The word Mafia does though right?

Hypocrite.

[QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2940816]The word Mafia does though right?

Hypocrite.[/QUOTE]

Once a chowd, always a chowd. Must be something in the water.

Board Moderator
    This thread has gone in some amazing directions. I love it.

Nothing better than the political forum being this active following another monumental collapse by the Jets!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2940887]Once a chowd, always a chowd. Must be something in the water.[/QUOTE]

As one of Italian heritage, I personally laugh off the mafia stereotype. However, Dean and Fukush make a good point that others may take offense. Who is to judge what is offensive and what is not? Why not call the game "JI Assasins"? Why "JI Mafia"?

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2940907]As one of Italian heritage, I personally laugh off the mafia stereotype. However, Dean and Fukush make a good point that others may take offense. Who is to judge what is offensive and what is not? Why not call the game "JI Assasins"? Why "JI Mafia"?[/QUOTE]

Well, I think "Mafia" is an old game that has been adapted for internet play. Like I said, I used to play Mafia in summer camp, and it consisted of all the kids sitting in a big circle and having to make logical deductions.

[quote=DeanPatsFan;2940816]The word Mafia does though right?

Hypocrite.[/quote]

The word "mafia" has to do with Italians, yes - italian stereotypes not so much. mentioning the word mafia implies something bad about all italians? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=doggin94it;2941032]The word "mafia" has to do with Italians, yes - italian stereotypes not so much. mentioning the word mafia implies something bad about all italians? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Actually, it does imply something hugely negative about Italian culture. Especially with what goes on in Southern Italy today.

[QUOTE=doggin94it;2941032]The word "mafia" has to do with Italians, yes - italian stereotypes not so much. mentioning the word mafia implies something bad about all italians? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

It's a sore spot amongst many Italians.

You've been proven to be a hypocrite, man up and admit it.

[quote=pauliec;2940928]Well, I think "Mafia" is an old game that has been adapted for internet play. Like I said, I used to play Mafia in summer camp, and it consisted of all the kids sitting in a big circle and having to make logical deductions.[/quote]

Yep. Its sort of like asking why Monopoly is called Monopoly.

And the idea that even a reference to the mafia is insulting to all italians is ridiculous - just as ridiculous as the idea that a reference to al qaeda is insulting to all muslims.

[QUOTE=doggin94it;2941080]Yep. Its sort of like asking why Monopoly is called Monopoly.

And the idea that even a reference to the mafia is insulting to all italians is ridiculous - just as ridiculous as the idea that a reference to al qaeda is insulting to all muslims.[/QUOTE]

It's not insulting to all Italians, it just evokes a negative stereotype for Italian culture. The mafia is still very much alive and well in Italy, and was a major part of Italian-American culture 40 years ago. So it's not that ridiculous if someone takes offense.

But like I said, I really don't mind the game being called Mafia.

Jets Insider VIP
    Personally, I find Super Mario Bros. to be offensive to me.

[IMG]http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/11/10/fashion/12poss.jpg[/IMG]

A-yo...spicy meatball!

[quote=pauliec;2941101]It's not insulting to all Italians, it just evokes a negative stereotype for Italian culture. The mafia is still very much alive and well in Italy, and was a major part of Italian-American culture 40 years ago. So it's not that ridiculous if someone takes offense.[/quote]

Yeah, I get that - the same way mention of al qaeda can evoke a negative stereotype for muslim culture. The key is to distinguish between uses of a term-as-stereotype and uses of the term-as-itself. The former is reason to take offense. The latter is not (beyond the PC bull that some folks seem to only complain about when it isn't them taking offense).

[quote] But like I said, I really don't mind the game being called Mafia.[/quote]

Yeah, I know :D

Jokes aside, I'd just like something to be clarified here by the mods. Honest question:

From here on out, are racist posts, like those in the Israeli thread, or some of the other heinous ones towards gays and Muslims, going to continue to be tolerated?

the point being is people exposing themselves for who they are and what they feel.isn't that the point? and isn't it worthwhile to confront your perception of bigotry and its ilk in a forum where no one is scared to share their voice.let these forums be the one place where all opinions,no matter how filthy,are out in the open.in the store window.transparent for all to see.