Thread: Just an observation that nobody is talking about ..

Veteran

Just an observation that nobody is talking about ..

The offensive line still sucks after years of draft picks and a million dollar overhaul. Can't blame the organization for this one, they've tried. Chalk this one up to bad luck. Or maybe I am wrong on this, and if I am, I have no doubt someone will let me know.

Discuss.

Hall Of Fame
    I can't totally agree with that... we have 3 probowlers on the line and 2 of them are very young. Thomas Jones had a great year and while Favre was hurried every now and then he often did have time to make throws. A lot of times our players were simply not open or the play call itself was screwed up or Favre couldn't make the throw.

Veteran
    I'm not so sure I would agree as well. Most games Favre was running around in the pocket or getting smacked around. I'm not saying the man needs all day to throw a ball but it appeared to me that he was being rushed way too much for a unit making the money this one is.

[QUOTE=GoBigGreen;2939012]The offensive line still sucks after years of draft picks and a million dollar overhaul. Can't blame the organization for this one, they've tried. Chalk this one up to bad luck. Or maybe I am wrong on this, and if I am, I have no doubt someone will let me know.

Discuss.[/QUOTE]

It lok like the OL gave up on Favre w/all his INT'S, underthrows and open WR's he missed down the stretch of the year when it counted the most. Thats what i saw. Throwing games away practically.

All League
    First, we really didn't have an adequate position coach in place until this year. That stunted their growth without a doubt. When other teams were turning to their late round picks to start, or their high picks were making the ProBowl, our lin faltered. I agree with the Pro Bowl picks, but something systematically was flawed. Maybe due to Favre not being mobile at all, but I think their were some coaching deficiencies for sure.

Bad luck is for losers. Winners make their own luck.

[QUOTE=GoBigGreen;2939012]The offensive line still sucks after years of draft picks and a million dollar overhaul. Can't blame the organization for this one, they've tried. Chalk this one up to bad luck. Or maybe I am wrong on this, and if I am, I have no doubt someone will let me know.

Discuss.[/QUOTE]

Lines do take more than one season to jell. I think this one was hampered more by the schizophrenic offensive game plans. This team should have pounded the ball and used Favre's arm more sparingly and strategically. Establishing the run and then playing off it is a time-honored and successful tradition in this league. But I guess if you have a gunslinger, you have to use him all the time, right?

All Pro
    IDK did the O-line give up a sack? I don't remember one, lots of hurries but
    Brett takes a lot of time back there anyway. IMO they did OK.

The pathetic play-calling FAR outsucked the line play :steamin:

Veteran

Discuss.[/QUOTE]

The O-line has been very good at run blocking and average or slightly above in pass blocking IMO. I think, overall, they are pretty good.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=RoadFan;2939201]The O-line has been very good at run blocking and average or slightly above in pass blocking IMO. I think, overall, they are pretty good.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I'd say this ol is slightly below average in pass protection. They aren't horrible and a guy like Cassel would be ok with our line, but an old slow guy like Favre needs an above average ol. He had a lot of guys in his face all year and he was forced to get rid of the ball before he wanted on numerous occasions. Favre and this line just weren't a good match.