Thread: What if Mangini didn't want?

What if Mangini didn't want?

What if Mangini didn't want Brett to begin with. Let's say this was Woody's idea to help with his PSLs. If you are Mangini you can't say a word because Brett is a HOFer.

Did you see Mangini's face after each of those INTs, if looks could kill? Having a QB throw terrible INTs just takes the heart out of a team. Not only was his INTs bad but the rest of his throws were way off. Hey I did want Brett here, we took a shot and it didn't work, I hope to god he retires. And as far as Mangini, I hope he is let go. For a defensive guy he leaves a lot to be desired, especially his defensive backs.

Or you know what? Favre doesn't have to retire, just let him go somewhere else. Maybe he can win with the vikings or bears.

That could work as a theory, if the defense was something special.

Check out the list of QB's with H of F days against us in 08.

Thigpen, Wallace, Russell, Jones, Cassell...did we also play Unitas?

All League
    Lets all man up here - who wanted and who didn't want brett favre from the beginning? Take a look - I'm on record as saying NO to Favre.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Jetfanfromthestart;2939304]What if Mangini didn't want Brett to begin with. Let's say this was Woody's idea to help with his PSLs. If you are Mangini you can't say a word because Brett is a HOFer.

Did you see Mangini's face after each of those INTs, if looks could kill? Having a QB throw terrible INTs just takes the heart out of a team. Not only was his INTs bad but the rest of his throws were way off. Hey I did want Brett here, we took a shot and it didn't work, I hope to god he retires. And as far as Mangini, I hope he is let go. For a defensive guy he leaves a lot to be desired, especially his defensive backs.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying. Maybe he didn't want favre in the first place. Now I still think he should be fired because his bread and butter has been defense (defensive backs coach) and his his 3 years here, he has done nothing to improve the defense. I know he is not the DC but as head coach you oversee everything and you get less of a free pass if we struggle on something you are supposed to be good at. He should have fired sutton last year but didn't. He has not made any adjustments, when the collapse begun.
    He looks like he has not learned anything from BB in New England. It is clear to say he was not ready for this job.
    Last edited by ArmyJets04; 12-29-2008 at 09:06 AM.

[QUOTE=jetfaninkorea;2939309]Or you know what? Favre doesn't have to retire, just let him go somewhere else. Maybe he can win with the vikings or bears.[/QUOTE]

It could also be a possibility that he will have some input on the coaching search, if there will be one after today.

All League
    [QUOTE=Big L;2939319]Lets all man up here - who wanted and who didn't want brett favre from the beginning? Take a look - I'm on record as saying NO to Favre.[/QUOTE]

I had no problem with replacing #10 w/#4. I thought it was worth taking a shot with the team we had just 'built for now'.

i'm sure he didn't want farve. mangini's conservative football philosophy doesn't mesh with farve's risk-taking.

but the reality is that there are only 32 head coaching jobs in the nfl and they are very prestigious positions. these men should be able to adopt and gameplan based on the players they're given. mangini has proven, to the contrary, that he is merely a one-trick pony, he learned one style under BB and that's the only thing he can do. he continually got outcoached by coaches whose teams had less overall talent and even yesterday couldn't figure out that the way to beat pennington is to blitz the heck out of him and force him to make mistake after mistake.

maybe mangini will learn from this experience. he doesn't seem like a 'bad' guy. but as of now, he 'just doesn't get it', whatever that 'it' factor is that gets teams over the hump.

the fact that the jets only needed to beat one of the raiders, 49ers, seahawks or broncos to make the playoffs and couldn't is his ultimate downfall.

Hall Of Fame
    If its true and Mangini really didnt want Brett then its entirely possible that Mangini Quit last night. Thats a smart move because that semi saves him some face.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Jetfanfromthestart;2939304]What if Mangini didn't want Brett to begin with. Let's say this was Woody's idea to help with his PSLs. If you are Mangini you can't say a word because Brett is a HOFer.

Did you see Mangini's face after each of those INTs, if looks could kill? Having a QB throw terrible INTs just takes the heart out of a team. Not only was his INTs bad but the rest of his throws were way off. Hey I did want Brett here, we took a shot and it didn't work, I hope to god he retires. And as far as Mangini, I hope he is let go. For a defensive guy he leaves a lot to be desired, especially his defensive backs.[/QUOTE]

Mangini named his kid after Brett... so the "theories" about him "not wanting" him in NY are sorta far fetched if you ask me... either way, what does a bunch of what if-ing get us? NOTHING.

What if we beat NE in both matchups?

What if we beat Oakland?

What if we don't get spanked by San Diego?

What if we beat Denver, San Fran, Seattle or Miami?

What if we kept Chad?

What if we ran the ball more?

What if Favre is hurt? What if he didn't say so to protect his consecutive starts?

What if we get another good CB - that'll make our defense "elite?"

What if we get a really tall WR - that'll make up for Coles and Cotchery not getting open for about 6 weeks?

What if we get a NT, OLB, LG, RT, QB... oh wait, that was last season's what if list.

Hindsight is a mudda****a - don't make yourself nuts asking what if. Just ask what's next?

All League
    [QUOTE=tedtedthefootballhead;2939333]I had no problem with replacing #10 w/#4. I thought it was worth taking a shot with the team we had just 'built for now'.[/QUOTE]

I think Chad would have gotten us to 9-7 anyway. Now we're ANOTHER year away from finding out who's our starting QB.

BTW, what do we owe Green Bay now for not making the playoffs?

Hall Of Fame
    well he did name is kid after Favre... unless Brett is some kind of Italian middle name :P

[QUOTE=ArmyJets04;2939323]I understand what you are saying. Maybe he didn't want favre in the first place. Now I still think he should be fired because his bread and butter has been defense (defensive backs coach) and his his 3 years here, he has done nothing to improve the defense. I know he is not the DC but as head coach you oversee everything and you get less of a free pass if we struggle on something you are supposed to be good at. He should have fired sutton last year but didn't. He has not made any adjustments, when the collapse begun.
    He looks like he has not learned anything from BB in New England. It is clear to say he was not ready for this job.[/QUOTE]

jets rooter said that he was the most indecisive coach that he had ever seen.

Although it is possible that Mangini didn't want Brett, this PSL talk is nuts.... The Jets are going to sell every single ticket including the most costly PSL. They could bring back Kotite as coach, and those tickets are all going to sell.

Great thread. You speak much sense.

Heard Easiason on the radio today and he spoke how foolish it was to bring Favre here when this team was built for and the offense was designed for Pennington.

I was against this from the beginning. It was just a plain stupid business decision that hurt the football team.

We outplayed the Dolphins in every position yesterday except QB. What made it hurt more was that they are using our qb, and they are the division champs.

The owner deserves the most blame in this putrid situation.

[QUOTE=tedtedthefootballhead;2939333]I had no problem with replacing #10 w/#4. I thought it was worth taking a shot with the team we had just 'built for now'.[/QUOTE]

I agreed then, and I agree now. We'll see what Pennington can do in the playoffs, but Favre was hired to get the Jets to the Super Bowl, not just a divisional title in a down season in the AFC East.
    It failed, but I think the Jets made took a shot, and I can't fault them for that.

[QUOTE=ArmyJets04;2939323]I understand what you are saying. Maybe he didn't want favre in the first place. [B]Now I still think he should be fired because his bread and butter has been defense (defensive backs coach) and his his 3 years here, he has done nothing to improve the defense[/B]. I know he is not the DC but as head coach you oversee everything and you get less of a free pass if we struggle on something you are supposed to be good at. He should have fired sutton last year but didn't. He has not made any adjustments, when the collapse begun.
    He looks like he has not learned anything from BB in New England. It is clear to say he was not ready for this job.[/QUOTE]

the best example of this is justin miller...here is a guy who had a great deal of tools but mangini could not turn him into anything close to an nfl cornerback..this says a great deal about his ability to coach..the farve ints...that is on brett

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Equilibrium;2939324]It could also be a possibility that he will have some input on the coaching search, if there will be one after today.[/QUOTE]

That's a horrifying thought. I don't want Favre picking his own coach and then leaving after one season. I'm not even sure I want Favre staying.